Hull Blueprinting >

Hull Blueprinting

Notices

Hull Blueprinting

Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hull Blueprinting

I never noticed this before, but I discovered my boat has about a 1/8" hook at the back of the hull. It's so uniform that I wonder if it was designed that way for planing and stability.

Has anyone had their 31SS hull blueprinted to get it perfectly straight? I'm considering this, but don't want to cause negative results.

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally received a response from Sonic...

"Dan,
Just spoke w/Bruce and that is an integral part of the design which
enables it to run smoothly w/different power options.
Lollie"

and

"Dan,
Bruce does not recommend doing so and he says with the 496HOs you're
probably going to get around 75mph max.
Lollie"

Well, I'm already at 75. But, I'm still curious if anyone has ever removed this hook.

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-18-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Z06
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought when I straight edged my hull the very bottom center was straight and the hook was between the chimes and the rising strake. I didn't have the hull blueprinted but I did have a couple small gelcoat chips and some scratches filled. I then used a buffer and 3M finese-it II on the entire bottom to bring it back to new condition.
Your 31ss hull must still be like new given the speeds your running. Hope someone else chimes in on the blueprinting and/or removing the slight hook along with sharpening the transom to hull edge on a 31ss... I've considered the same.

Last edited by Z06; 03-18-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hook and Rocker is the same as caster and camber and toe-in in a car. If you remove all the toe in and run straight up caster - camber your car will be faster but you will be chasing the car with the steering wheel, in others words it will be all over the place. Your boat will do the same. You need a certian amout of hook and rocker, I would think that depending on the hull type will depend on how much you might need. (Multi-step, single step no step).