Hey Pat...'02 37AVH Question...

Notices

Hey Pat...'02 37AVH Question...

Old 06-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Pat...'02 37AVH Question...

Pat,
I have a couple of questions regarding our '02 37 AVH 'Thunder EnLightening. First, does the shower drain into the forward bilge? Since we have no drain plugs on the back side of our step, does the shower drain "pump" empty the forward part of the hull? Kevin and Judy nor us have ever used the shower, yet last fall when I went to winterize the boat, I had a substantial amount of water come out of the boat when I ran the shower drain "pump". We have never had any signs of water anywhere in the boat. No wet carpet, no water in the rearward bilge, not even a leaky hatch! Any idea were the water came from? Let me know what you think!
Gary
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Hey Pat...'02 37AVH Question...

It does drain into the forward bilge. When the Cabin Power switch is turned on, the pump automatically cycles on every 2.5 minites to check for water, and the continues to pump if there is water. The pump that is in the bottom of the step will not completely empty this area. I do not have drain plugs on my boat, and gather some water in this area too. Best thing to do is stick the nose of the boat WAY up in the air, and take your shop vacuum hose and stick it over the small through hull fitting where the step bilge pump outlet is. This will suck this area almost completely dry. I believe that the hose run is so long from the step pump to the side of the boat, that the pump will pump the bilge area mostly dry, and get the water far enough up the tube so it senses no more water in the bilge. Then it shuts off. Well, the water that made its way up the tube, but not out the side of the boat, now flows back into the bilge, since the pump has shut off providing no backpressure. Its a vicious cycle.

If I could have ONE THING with my boat different, I would have that bilge pump on a TOGGLE SWITCH somewhere. I can't determine which wires go down to it to power it though. Its ANNOYING AS HELL to the point I have to switch off Cabin Power at the dash when trying to sleep at night to keep that damn pump from cycling every 2.5 minutes.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-16-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Registered

Brian,
Thanks for the info! I can, however, tell you that my forward bilge pump is either NOT on an automatic switch or the switch is burnt out. I have never heard or seen the pump come on unless I manually switch the shower drain! Sounds like I am glad it is that way!

Now that I know for sure the shower pump drains the forward bilge, I will periodically check for water. The shop vac idea sounds like it will work great!

I do have one other question though...Am I correct in assuming that the forward bilge pump cannot be seen or serviced? That would really stink if the pump quit working huh!

Gary
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a side entry cabin, not center. I can't remember what your boat's config is. On most of the older center entry boats, you can lift and remove one of the steps to get down into that area. On mine and any of the ones with the drop in cabin liner, its my understanding that it is in there to stay unless you cut an access panel into one of the steps.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownRat
Brian,
Thanks for the info! I can, however, tell you that my forward bilge pump is either NOT on an automatic switch or the switch is burnt out. I have never heard or seen the pump come on unless I manually switch the shower drain! Sounds like I am glad it is that way!
You are correct. It's manual. And it's servicble but you have to peel up the pirelli to get to it.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Registered

Pat,
Just so I know...approximately where is the pump located?
Gary
Old 06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered

In the bottom of the boat.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Registered

Sweeeet!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Atleast you have a sense of humor.

It's as close to the rear of the V as possible. Kevin serviced the the pump before. You might call him on specifics.

I do remember him saying it was a pretty crappy job getting to it, however.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Registered

Thanks!

Kevin did say you had the ability to "shine"...LOL

Quick Reply: Hey Pat...'02 37AVH Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.