INActive Thunder

Notices

INActive Thunder

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Just put a little Elmer's Glue on that pin and it will take up the slack in the clearance and you'll be good to go!
I'd bet JB weld would tighten r up.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Got one of the gimbals off by removing the upper swivel shaft today. Note the hole in the transom assembly that Ron Bender's kit shows you how to do to get access to the upper swivel pin nut and steering arm nut. He provides a plate to put over the hole after the work is done.

I highly recommend those of you with the means to trade in the yacht before it gets to this.

Had to chisel off the swivel pin nut and the steering arm nut due to the corrosion from water leaking around the swivel pin.
Attached Thumbnails INActive Thunder-gimbal-ring-resize.bmp   INActive Thunder-gimbal-ring-1-resize.bmp   INActive Thunder-swivel-shaft-resize.bmp  

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Couple more. Sending the gimbal rings out for repair today.
Attached Thumbnails INActive Thunder-gimbal-housing-cut-resize.bmp   INActive Thunder-both-gimbal-rings-resize.bmp  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Registered

Had the same thing done last year. The finished product is nice; the SS plates look better than stock over the holes! Plus, it's nice to be able to steer!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by spilman
Had the same thing done last year. The finished product is nice; the SS plates look better than stock over the holes! Plus, it's nice to be able to steer!
Good to hear. Just painful getting through it. I think the full hydraulic steering hid the problem until I took the drives off and discovered the extra movement. I'd like to get a couple AT stickers to stick on the SS plate to dress them up a little.

Question, did you take off the original Merc stickers that end up underneath the plates???
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

we had a boat that had that problem...ended up selling it before we had to replace it. nice to see someone has made a kit to fix it!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Good to hear. Just painful getting through it. I think the full hydraulic steering hid the problem until I took the drives off and discovered the extra movement. I'd like to get a couple AT stickers to stick on the SS plate to dress them up a little.

Question, did you take off the original Merc stickers that end up underneath the plates???
No, but should have. 1 of them is just peeking out on one side. If I was u I would.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by spilman
No, but should have. 1 of them is just peeking out on one side. If I was u I would.
Great, I'll get them off.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck

Send the plates to someone and have the engraved. Maybe Pat knows someone
Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to pull my drive also. My new gimble ring has been sitting in the spare bedroom for 6 months now. Just don't have time to do it. Really need to get it done before TF200

Quick Reply: INActive Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.