32 AT Question >

32 AT Question

Notices

32 AT Question

Old 04-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 32 AT Question

I’ve always liked the AT 32 Offshore and would own one in a second. It has the styling I like and AT’s reputation as a builder is second to none. However, today I saw one that had something I was wondering was common to all 32’s or just this one. At worst, it could be a problem. At best, it’s a nuisance.

The 32 I saw today was sitting in the water and this is the first time I’ve seen a 32 in the water up close. It seems to sit in a manner that causes rainwater to pool-up in the recessed area that runs down the center of the deck. In fact, it was so substantial that the rear deck hatch (the one closest to the cockpit) was completely submerged by 3” of water. If the deck hatch is less than watertight, the cabin is going to be quite wet. I’m sure AT would say that the hatch is completely water tight and I have no reason to doubt that but boat ownership is full of issues that bite you in the ass when you least expect it. Why add the potential for another? At a minimum, the owner has to ensure that this area is bailed prior to opening the hatch. Do other 32’s do the same thing? If I were having AT build me a 32, I guess I would just have them install the deck hatches on the raised area of the deck. Doing so would eliminate any doubt
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02

I have a 28 and never had that problem. If you raised the center of the deck, it may look like the deck of a Sonic
When your behind the wheel, the deck on the AT looks killer and I would not change a thing!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

Talking

Its called the design of the deck.It is not a design flaw.I have had a couple of Active Thunders and it was never an issue.You shouldnt be leaving you boat sit in the rain all of the time anyhow.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:34 AM
ThunderousDaze

We have not had any complaints about this. And who said the the center is recessed? Aren't the outsides raised? There is no way that anyone is going to walk down the center of the boat, so we opted to raise the outside to give more headroom while sitting on the settee...Also, like Chris and Massive stated, it gives us our own look...Exactly Like Nothing Else!

Old 04-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine does the same thing...I've noticed this while washing the boat. It's a little annoying but it won't stop me from owning another Thunder.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM
AC
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
A question for Pat or Steve about this same thing.

Why is the center of the deck recessed and not raised? It would seem to me you would increase the cabin headroom down the center of the boat if you were to raise this area instead (same for the 37 AVH). It would also do away with this problem of water pooling up. I would think if you did this, you'd not loose any structural strength in the process.
The reason the center of the deck is recessed is because if it was raised "it would be a Sonic" and Sonic would be all over AT.

AC
Old 04-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

AC, must be this weeks spokes person for Active Thunder - NOTTTTT !!!! What a wealth of information. Quit talkin smak, jack ass. sincerely your friend, Jeff Jassby
Old 04-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that the deck line as-is gives it a really menacing look. I wouldn’t change it. Like I said, if AT built me a 32, I would just have them put the hatch(s) in a spot that was not subject to the pooling.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:29 PM
ThunderousDaze

OK, hatches on the outside...What power do you want?

Old 04-25-2002, 06:12 PM
wavemaker

Unhappy

I have noticed he makes a bunch of remarks also. What's up with that? Go hang out somewhere else and moan.

Quick Reply: 32 AT Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.