Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
Tantrum in classifieds >

Tantrum in classifieds

Notices

Tantrum in classifieds

Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Couple of comments on your boat.

Originally Posted by RedRider69
Hey Twin, thanks for the kind words, yep the boat is very nice and the stock power keeps the thing turn key reliable and ready for bout anything Erie can throw at it. Yes the Kunkel's are still here and doing well as I see them regularly, mostly just to chat and talk boats, cars, bikes etc. Super nice folks I would recommend to anyone.
Some things I've learned the hard way in my life time of boating (53 yrs old) and souping them up to go faster.
There seems to be an invisible sliding scale that relates the amount of enjoyment in hrs Vs dollars spent on increasing top speed.
The more you spend and the faster you go the more **** breaks and the less time you spend boating. Also, the more radical it gets the less time you spend using it as a "recreational boat". i.e., going to the sand bar, cruising, over nighting etc.
W /our improvements it now idles worse, shifts harder (pain in the ass around the dock/ramp), way more money in props (meaning we no longer get close to shallow water), hi octane fuel, more regular maintenance intervals etc, etc.
Now taking it out for a day of fun requires a day of preventive maint. on your part, basic maint. after the fact and this all assumes nothing breaks while you're out which in my world is about 50/50. So we spend more time working on it than we do in the day of "boating".
After living through this time after time after time.....,a turn key, 65 MPH boat sounds pretty damn good. My current 24' Sonic is slower than my last 24' Sonic and so far I could care less. I put a pile of time/money into making it start/idle/shift and run quiet like a single I/O ski boat and so far I'm really glad I did.
Your boat is also in rare company w/the cabin that it has. About the only semi current boat I see that is similar is the 26' Sonic Prowler and I think your boat is way better built and probably 5+ faster.
So some one does the work on your boat to get another 5 - 10 out of it and then the drive starts breaking and then etc, etc.

Sorry for the book. I just think it's interesting how many people have a min acceptable speed even though their boats hardly every see it. Kind of a stigma??
I bet there are more boats on this site that run 70 or less than 70 and over. (some one should do a post w/a survey)
Anyhow, good luck w/the sale of a gorgeous boat.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-15-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I totally agree its tough to beat stock and reliable and the 65mph is just easy to get any day, boat probably runs around 70 with the 26 BBlades if I ever let it rev out but never seen the need. I run low to mid 3000 rpms and cruise in the mid 40's and that's plenty to run with or away from the folks i boat around especially when it gets rough .
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I bet there are more boats on this site that run 70 or less than 70 and over. (some one should do a post w/a survey)

DONE! I think you are wrong, and we bout' to find out.
check it out and vote

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...than-70-a.html

This should give some of us in the cold something to do
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered

Default Well....

Originally Posted by My Addiction

DONE! I think you are wrong, and we bout' to find out.
check it out and vote

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...than-70-a.html

This should give some of us in the cold something to do
I've been wrong before

IMO, there are way more boat owners claiming 70+ than boats that actually run 70+. Not to say there aren't a ton faster too but it takes a ton of power once the boats start getting bigger.

My old Sonic ran right at 80 and I can't tell you the number of 90 mph boats it out ran.
I had a small single O/B that ran 101 and it smoked a bunch of 110 -115 mph boats.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Trying to sell a boat definitely reminds me of this ad.. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7062...-on-craigslist
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
Trying to sell a boat definitely reminds me of this ad.. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7062...-on-craigslist
thats some funny stuff .... but it is true
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Registered

Default Hilarious!

Originally Posted by Drock78
I sell funk on Craigs all the the time and get those calls.
My favorites are listings for an individual part for sale with a complete engine in the background of the picture. I'll get calls from Spanish speaking individuals from Miami asking in very broken English or through an interpreter asking about the motor for sale
Or I'll list an O/B powerhead and get the same call about the "complete motor". You can hear them translating in the background, trying to explain to them it's not a complete motor.
You hear, jibberish, jibberish, powerhead, jibberish
I've had the same idiots call multiple times.

Listed a 30" drive shaft for a 30" O/B for $100. and they'll call about the lower unit for $100.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Registered

Wow the 70 mph thing is crackin me up, I just noticed it's now on my FB page. I am kinda surprised at some of the machinery that folks are proclaiming over 70 but it is what it is until it isn't I guess lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Well the last serious buyer was unable to get financing, bummer. The good part is the reason for the financing issue was not the boat as I ran it through my credit union and I would be able to finance the same boat if I didn't already own it, whew. Got a buyer coming today talking cash purchase, so I am semi optimistic I guess. The bummer is its stinkin 24 degrees and snowing, should make for an interesting day!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Registered

Well she found a new home and we have a NEW Active Thunder Family member, now just gotta figure out how to get her to NJ from Ohio ugh !! I will miss my first AT while I'm enjoying my second AT in search for my Third humm lol. Maybe the dang 29 will have an update some day, but probably be a 33.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.