Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?! >

How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?!

Notices

How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is always a fun pic to reference with regard to boat lengths. Take from it what you will. From the bottom...38 Excalibur, 27 Formula, 26 Velocity, 36 Baja, 35 Fountain, 405 Formula SR1, 47 Outerlimits, 34 Hustler, 34 Phantom, 38 Cougar.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Several attributes are mentioned on this thread without any supporting info.

Hull length blah, blah, blah.
What one needs to measure is the "bathtub line", which is the length of the hull at the waterline. You will find that the 38' Cig, 37' AT, and 42' Fountain to all be within negligible difference of each other. Sure, the 42' Fountain is a bigger boat. I can put a 28' plywood deck over 21' long pontoons (tubes). Technically, that's a 28' boat. But it's not going to perform the same way as a 28' pontoon with 28' long tubes. The size advantage the 42' Fountain has is ABOVE the waterline; and that balance change is what Mike alluded to with how the boats perform differently. Something that will surprise you is if you raft any of those boats next to a 38' PowerPlay. Now THAT is a massive boat; but it's profile is bigger, as it has taller hullsides and deeper gunwales. Same goes with the old 37' Outerlimits. I've referred to the 38PP as a "38' Black Thunder" in the past when trying to explain the difference.

And I only know of two 37' ATs that have "hull mods".
One, is owned by John Hope, the "Whatever" boat. That boat was originally built with HP500s, with the 4" step. The previous owner had big power 800+ mills in it, and it at the speeds those mills produced, the transom was losing contact with the surface of the water as that boat was blueprinted for only HP500 speeds when originally built. The step was beveled off a bit so the transom stayed in the water. That bevel has since been filled back in as the boat now has HP500s back in it. Advantage for AT: the bottom of the boat is solid fiberglass; no coring; so it's easy to make those changes.

Two, was the first step 37' boat built. I can't remember the specs on the boat, but I think it had the 675s as mentioned. There was a flaw in the bottom of the boat. Something happened where the step insert in the mold wasn't positioned as designed; and the boat had a little bit of a lean to it at running speeds. That was corrected on that boat too.

In closing, I'll remind everyone that the original 37' AT mold is a Vee bottom, and the step has always been created by placing an insert in the mold. This has allowed Pat to adjust the step height over the years as "stock power" has increased. Originally the step was 5". Then it went down to 4". And I think the last several have been 3 & 3/8". The patented DDC stepped hull was engineered, tested, and designed by Harry Schoell to have 3 points on the same plane: the step, the transom, and the propshaft. As speeds have increased, drive hydrodynamics, dimensions, and setbacks have changed over the years; the insert method of AT's constructions has allowed Pat to adjust the hull as needed for each all of these variables. Most folks don't know this, but Pat consults Harry Schoell on every boat that he builds before the first coat of gelcoat release wax is sprayed. And last, you CANNOT throw a ton of HP at a boat, ANY BOAT, and expect it perform linearly.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Length aside how does the bathtub line mean a thing, these boats all sit ass heavy in the water. depending on how I trim I can have a lot more boat in the water at plane then when sitting.

If we measured bathtub ring mine is a 24 foot boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I doubt in the Atlantic anyone with a 24 can keep up with me.

I think to stop all this we should go back to boats like this, its what I learned to ski behind and the first boat we ever restored. ( ok this one is a 1959 and the one we did was a 49, windshield was the main difference and ours had a flat head grey marine 6 cyl.) This is a true 19 foot boat, no molded on swim, no beak as a matter of fact the bow was nearly vertical.

LOL

Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

BTW,,, all kidding aside I like both the AT and the 42 fountain, the cabin I always loved the whore house look of sommerflysby boat. I Also like the OB powered 33 that is down in Ft Myers.

Seems like that would be a great boat for down here.

Kind of do wonder why not may seem to have been made lately or why Pat doesn't go ahead and build CC's,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Length aside how does the bathtub line mean a thing, these boats all sit ass heavy in the water. depending on how I trim I can have a lot more boat in the water at plane then when sitting.

If we measured bathtub ring mine is a 24 foot boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I doubt in the Atlantic anyone with a 24 can keep up with me.

I think to stop all this we should go back to boats like this, its what I learned to ski behind and the first boat we ever restored. ( ok this one is a 1959 and the one we did was a 49, windshield was the main difference and ours had a flat head grey marine 6 cyl.) This is a true 19 foot boat, no molded on swim, no beak as a matter of fact the bow was nearly vertical.

LOL

Doesn't count,. has a 2.19" beak I can see it from here, LOL
Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

Good info guys but I’m still wondering how many 37’s have been built for customers other than Mercury since the red 565 boat?? ��*♂️��*♂️ Lol
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the answer is 0
Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

I could’ve sworn I saw a couple new builds posted on the AT FB page since then, but I’m probably wrong.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I picked up my 37’ in 2016 there was a new 37 there. Believe it had 540’s, ITS, and no swim platform.

Found a picture.....

Last edited by kjberman; 05-28-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

That's the all red 37 with 565's I believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.