Notices

Opinion On 25 Tantrum

Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Opinion On 25 Tantrum

Originally Posted by Active Mike
Jupiter Palsare,
I have a 1998 Tantrum with a 500 HP in it. My boat was originally built for the Smith Brothers Racing.
Seeing that you have run a lot of Tantrums what was a good speed for a 25" tantrum with a 500 HP in it for you?
I run my boat in mostly Pennsylvania and at WOT 1/2 tank of fuel, two people my best was 75.5 on GPS.
I have a Bravo 1 28 pitch prop that Mercury racing has done some work on it.
Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Active Mike
hey mike i do belive it was steve who sold me that boat through thunder dan, awsome boat. rick
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Active Mike, I was on your boat when the Smith Bros. owned it. Of course it was febuary and the boat was in storage but that boat is sweet......So I had one built!!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To my knowledge, the One Vision 25 Thunder was the fastest of the Factory race boats with HP500. With Our Merc labbed prop we could hold 81.4. With a 28 Bravo 4blade by John Janiky<?> from DAH ProPellers in WI. We could hit 82, but could hold a steady 81.7 with less bow lift and better handling. The boat has since been changed back to a more pleasure friendly setup, but we still ran a 78 at the Shootout last month. The motor was freshend by Tyler Crocket back in 2000. It is still stock and still has the legal APBA seals on it.
As I posted in the first of this thread, If ANYONE is in the market for a 25' to 28' foot boat, the 25 Active Thunder is the boat to beat, (if you can). Compare it to a 29 Fountain, (the 27 isn't even close) in rough water and for top speed with identical power. I keep thinking I might sell mine, but would like to step up to twins on the next one. So, I'm waiting for Pat to take a 32 with 500HP in for trade...

Last edited by Gordo; 10-12-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
....... So, I'm waiting for Pat to take a 32 with 500HP in for trade...

$100k, 70hrs.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion On 25 Tantrum-32.2002c.jpg  
Old 10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

<in my best "ToolTime" Tim Taylor voice>
Aaaaaaaaaarrrgghh?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gordo
To my knowledge, the One Vision 25 Thunder was the fastest of the Factory race boats with HP500. With Our Merc labbed prop we could hold 81.4. With a 28 Bravo 4blade by John Janiky<?> from DAH ProPellers in WI. We could hit 82, but could hold a steady 81.7 with less bow lift and better handling. The boat has since been changed back to a more pleasure friendly setup, but we still ran a 78 at the Shootout last month. The motor was freshend by Tyler Crocket back in 2000. It is still stock and still has the legal APBA seals on it.
As I posted in the first of this thread, If ANYONE is in the market for a 25' to 28' foot boat, the 25 Active Thunder is the boat to beat, (if you can). Compare it to a 29 Fountain, (the 27 isn't even close) in rough water and for top speed with identical power. I keep thinking I might sell mine, but would like to step up to twins on the next one. So, I'm waiting for Pat to take a 32 with 500HP in for trade...
Hello Gordo,
Thanks for the feed back. Would you recommend for me to try contacting theis DAH Propellers to have them work on my Bravo 28?
When I purchased the boat from Rstiney it had a Bravo 26 that I have no idea what was done to it. The boat liked to porpus starting around the 60 to 65 mph then go into to chine walking. After receiving my new Bravo 28 I sent my 26 with it to Mercury Racing and explained what the 26 pitch was doing and to make what ever changes they thought was best to get rid of the chine walking and porpusing. It reduced some of the chine walking but the porpusing is still there. Mercury said that they could shorting the exhaust barrel on the prop (hub) and that it would allow for more stern lift. I asked, wouldn't that scrub speed off the top end and he said that usually it adds to the top end and gives more control.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Mike,
I tried a 26 Bravo on my boat a couple of times looking for a rough water race prop. Never could get the performance out of a 26 for some reason. IN fact, out favorite rough water prop was a 25-26 Hydromotive Q-IV that Brad owned. Not the top speed as the 28 Bravo but handled better in big water with great acceleration.
As for porpoising and chine walking, the only time mine wants to porpoise is in flat calm (glass) water. The boats HATES it. But, With a little chop under you the boat flattens right out. You need a good 10" ripple to 1' whitecaps before the boat really comes to life. Since I don't do much boating on the Lake of the Ozarks at 7:00 AM, glass water isn't much of a problem. I do start to chine walk at around 72-74, but it's pretty minimal and I can easily drive through it and control it. When it ran in the low 80mph range it was a little more pronounced but still easily controlled once you learned the boat. Never has it been as bad as some of the Velocitys I've raced and driven. For your situation my first question would be to make sure you don't have any air in your system, (steering rams or helm). Also look for any loose fittings or linkage on your steering rams.
As for what John and the gang at DAH Propeller, I would say what ever you want they can do. It helps alot if you have exact numbers such as GPS or radar top speed, RPM at top speed and cruise speed, air and water temp at those speeds, handling at top speed, how the boat comes on plane with current prop, etc.
Let me know what you do and the results you get.
Good Luck,
Gordo
Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Hey guys, Just for $hits and giggles my 1999 Tantrum with a 502 mag with pipes and K&N filter.......26 Bravo 4 blade with some minor work done to it (took some pitch away and balanced it (no Labbing) at Murphys Prop in Norfolk , Va.) the boat runs just at 70 with 1/4 tank and me on the boat with a nice 1-2 ft chop. I've seen the GPS flash 71.4 a couple of times.......Not lately though!!! Boat has a full cabin with a sink (empty tank )

I've never noticed any porpoising in any water, now chine walkin' thats a different story......too much trim and a good ole cross wake sets it into motion. Drop the drive a click or two and she settles right down!!!

Did I mention I love this boat!!!?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Registered

Gordo / R Addiction thanks for the input.
Gordo,
No problems with my steering system, all in good shape.
On DAH Propellers I just thought that they may of had some thing to add working with you on your prop and my boat being similar. You know as well as I do how the prop game can go. Was your prop labbed (28 Bravo)? Did you have anything done special that may be reducing your porpoising with your prop that may help me?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Good Luck Mike

Quick Reply: Opinion On 25 Tantrum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.