Flying into Havasu to check on my baby

Notices

Flying into Havasu to check on my baby

Old 10-07-2001, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flying into Havasu to check on my baby

Hi everybody,

I have a 32 being built right now (496 H.O. and XR Drives) and will be flying from Miami to Lake Havasu Fri. Nov.2 and returning Sun. Nov.4. Basically, I wanted to visit the factory for a day and figure out with Bob how to upgrade the stereo in the boat (looking to stick in 6 Babb speakers and 2 Subs in the cockpit powered by 500 watts). Also, I will be meeting with Pat Kuntz there as I'm getting some extra graphics added onto the boat over the gel coat.
This will be my first time making the Miami to Havasu (Lake Havasu City, AZ (HII) ) trip and I was hoping to get some ideas on where to stay and rent a car. I booked the tickets on Travelocity and was wondering what the best way to make the hotel and car reservations is. I'm just looking for simple accomadations for the Friday night to Sunday morning stay. Thanks--- John

P.S. I'd like to send out a special thanks to Advantage Rob for helping me in the decision making process... If I didn't know any better, I'd say Rob was the owner of Advantage

P.S.S. Does Pat Kuntz (graphics design/painter) have a good reputation in havasu? Bob at the factory recommended him and I figured might as well go with it to make the whole process smoother (ie. have the gel coat and extra graphics all done in Havasu)
Old 10-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Registered

The owner...Thats funny!! Tell Bob You talked to me, and mention Expert Marine, then maybee he will do a little better a job on getting literature to the marina. I've helped out quite a few people from the board and locally here in Michigan. Bob should remember me from the flame job 28 cat with the twin Crockett motors, I drew the graphics up and we changed that boat all around for John (the owner of the cat).

Have fun in the sun!! I'm all pissed it was 24 degrees here last night and it sucked!! At least I picked the perfect day to do my winterization yesterday, a sunny 50 degree day, but doing the winterization is definitely not a fun time, but at least it's a wide boat and you can actually reach between the manifolds to pull all the drain plugs, and the outer sides are wide open. Still sucks to put it away for winter though!! I did get a good feeling from hearing the motors rumble one last time, I better keep that memory close at heart, it's gonna be another long cold winter like always!!! I'll be calling if I hit miami this winter!!

I have been to havasu quite a few times, and I fly into vegas, and rent an car and take the 3.5 hour drive to havasu. There's not much to see except for desert, and I can't help with the lodging. I've stayed at the nautical inn but give em a try, it might be the off season and be competitive with other places to stay in town. Ask on the main board there are quite a few from the havasu area on the board.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 10-08-2001, 05:10 PM
Registered

Hey gjockey,
congrats on the new boat. One of the best places I've found to stay is the Ramada Inn for a decent room without the ridiculous price. It's almost right across 95 from the London Bridge Resort, and about 5 miles from the factory. Another nice place on the "island" is supposed to be the Island Inn, though I haven't personally stayed there, I've heard a lot of folks say it's nice. For dinner, try Miguels if you like Mexican food. It's right near the bridge, just a little north in a shopping center. For GOOD steak with a kicked back atmosphere it's the Golden Horseshoe. We make a stop there every time we're in town. It's about 10 miles north of the island on Lake Havasu Drive. Just ask anywhere for specific directions, it's easy to find. One last place to eat is Mudsharks restaraunt/brewery. It's right across from the Ramada next to the theaters.

Craig
Old 10-09-2001, 10:38 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new your new Victory
Will be a sweet ride.
It is what I want to upgrade to next.
Talk with Bob and have him give you suggestions. I used the agent they use up the street a few times.
I have stayed at the Island Inn. Very nice place. Very reasonable too. If you dont have a boat in the water then this is a great place on the Island. Big Pink Hotel, cannot miss it.
I like dinner at either Shugreus (sp) on the channel. Miguells is real good to as before mentioned.
As far as flying in, you might be able to luck upon a deal into havasu, but not likely.
I ahve been told that the small planes can get you from Vegas or Phoniex for about 100 bucks. I have know people to Limo shuttle also. I would try a flight into Laughlin/Bullhead and get a car there. Havasu is only an hour from them by car.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:42 AM
Registered

Update:

Belated thanks for all the suggestions/recommendations. I just got back from my weekend trip to Havasu. Stayed at Ramada -was nice as expected- and tried out Mudsharks and another eating place right over the bridge where you could get a view of the boats passing. Both were great.
Didn't get a chance to do much else since it was basically a one day trip to go see the boat and talk to the painter. Was nice to meet everybody at the Factory... easy to tell that they have pride in what they do and in their product. It seems like they are hauling some ass on my 32. Bob originally told me he thought they could get it done by Christmas time... looks like they are going to finish 3 weeks ahead of schedule. LOL. Finishing a custom boat ahead of schedule. When Bob told me Christmas, I just assumed February . I'm getting some neat custom graphics added on by Pat Kuntz down there so I'll make sure to post pics when it's done. Anybody getting a boat done at Havasu, I highly recommend you ask about him if you want to add some sizzle. ---- John

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: gjockey ]
Old 11-18-2001, 09:08 AM
Registered

Catmando, I stopped at the factory in Sept. when I was there for the poker run. I like to see what's on the floor and just bs. I asked Bob and Gary Ferguson about a new, bigger cat. They said, "That while it wasn't out of the question, there are no plans in the immediate future." They say their bread and butter is the partycats . They are retooling the 26, as a matter of fact. Then comes the big vees. THEN the Sportcat. Oh well, I know it's a business and I'd rather have them concentrate on the deckboats and at least STAY in business! Then maybe one day........ On a happy note, I did get my 22' Sportcat out yesterday finally in some cooler weather. We hit 106.4 mph on the gps. I think she had a little left in it, just had to back down since I was running on a relatively small lake! We'll try Havasu next month for the Parade of Lights.
Craig
Old 11-18-2001, 03:07 PM
Registered

The Custom boat experience with Advantage has been amazing so far. There's alot of things I can point to.. but 2 incidents come to mind. When I ordered the boat, I was talking to Bob about putting in a Vacu Flush system. He said they were looking to see if they could work them into the 32's but couldn't give a commitement at the time. Time passed on and I forgot all aobut the issue. A couple weeks back, I asked him in an offhand manner about the Vacu Flush and he told me they already put it in there. No extra charge, no nothing. They never promised me one when I ordered the boat, but during the process, they were able to put it in so they did... and although they had every right to,.. they did not ask me for more $.
Second- I am having a poker theme for the graphics on my boat and I wanted to have the cockpit reflect that. I thought this would be a little too far out but I asked anyway. I asked them if they could checkerboard the interior cockpit vinyl in yellow and white (Their brochure shows a grey and white checkerboard in the cockpit of a 32). With the checkerboard extending around the sides and to the rear bench back set area. On top of that, I wanted them to put in alternating Heart, Spade, Diamond and Club graphics inside the yellow squares.
Bob just said, let's see what we can do. He had the vinyl guys working on it and they had problems getting the round areas on the CLub to look right. It seemed like a no-go then Bob said he had another idea. He found somebody in Havasu who does embroidery type work and he had her cut out those figures and stitch them on for a nominal extra fee. Got email pics of the work and it came out perfect. It's been like this through the whole process. I've been amazed at every step the lengths they were willing to go to accomadate what I wanted done (oh, and I won't even mention the stereo stuff they are sticking and wiring in for me ). Offhand, I can't think of another manufacturer that would be willing to be as accomadative without nickle and diming you along the way and while working to keep the boat on schedule. What you want, is what you get and that is damn cool. ---- John

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: gjockey ]
Old 11-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Registered

hey john, That's my only gripe with my 32. I should have done more customization to the interior of my boat. I will probably have it re-done sometime soon, but I must say it is a top notch interior and is holding up perfectly over time, and very functional and the fit and finish is great too. I have friends with 1 or two year old boats, and thier interiors look horrible already, so another plus for advantage!! They have also been great for customizing the boats that have been ordered from our local detroit area dealerthey definitely go beyond what you would expect them to do.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:30 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Greetings All,
Just read your string of chat and couldn't agree more. My wife and I picked up our 27' Victory in August and have been out to Havasu about every other weekend.

We spent a couple years looking at all the boats & manufactures and going to all the factories. We hit all the boat shows and spent alot of time siting in the boats.

Advntage had the most bang for the buck and the service I have received after the sale has made me even happier. The whole gang at Advantage have been great.

Well, hope to see you sometime and have fun.......by the way, when is the "Parade of Lights" anyway ??

Regards.......

Christopher Gibbons
Westminster, CA.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:44 AM
Registered

Parade of Lights is this coming Saturday evening. A few foks are bringing their boats up and running around some Saturday.

Craig

Quick Reply: Flying into Havasu to check on my baby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.