Drive setup on 30' Advantage >

Drive setup on 30' Advantage

Notices

Drive setup on 30' Advantage

Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Drive setup on 30' Advantage

Trying to get a friends 30' Advantage dialed in. It has 2 steps, twin v12 Ilmors 550HP each, teage drives. Boat runs great but wicked chine walk after about 78mph. Fasted I have hit with it was 83, seems to be a sweet spot on the trim were the chine walk is not as bad. Should the Drives be rotating in or out? Should the drive alignment be strait, toed in or out? Probably going to be trial and error but would like to get some feedback.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally speaking, props rotating out on vee bottoms makes them handle better, but will be a little slower. Rotating in will be fastest but can cause ill handling on some boats. Rotating out is easier around the docks too from what I understand.

I think I know which boat you're talking about and I'm sure it has full hydraulic steering? Any play in the steering? Try grabbing the drives and move them side to side, there should be zero movement with hydraulic steering.

Where are the prop shafts in relation to the bottom of the hull? What props are you running?
Old 10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also there's a lot of good info in this thread. Unfortunately no results, but definitely some ideas to explore.

A little negative tab will help the boat settle down at the cost of speed, but I don't really like that answer personally. Looks like some prop testing may be your best bet.

http://www.performanceboats.com/gary...-mounting.html
Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Generally speaking, props rotating out on vee bottoms makes them handle better, but will be a little slower. Rotating in will be fastest but can cause ill handling on some boats. Rotating out is easier around the docks too from what I understand.

I think I know which boat you're talking about and I'm sure it has full hydraulic steering? Any play in the steering? Try grabbing the drives and move them side to side, there should be zero movement with hydraulic steering.

Where are the prop shafts in relation to the bottom of the hull? What props are you running?
Yea, thats what I was thinking. Steering is imco full hydraulic and tight. Drives are toed in a quarter inch and rotating in. Meaning the props are a little closer together. The boat came from havasu. Have not checked the propshaft center line yet.

Last edited by jeffswav; 10-10-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, I got your PM.... I'll be contacting you. Been in St. E's hospital with wife - New baby

He is correct, typically turning out handles better... Unless a large amount of stern lift from the hull is causing issues. Then in will help. 5 blades seem to provide more stern lift than 4 blades in general. toe can be in or out. A good amount toe out when spinning in, and toe in when spinning out.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

He's running teage xr drives with bravo 4 blade props. So the drives should not be strait? Props are rotating in, so the drives should be toed out. Is it like a car meaning props are closer together.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe with props turning in the drives need to toe in in the front. BUT 1/4 inch seems like a lot. I think I had best speed with 1/8 inch toe in on the SCARAB.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct... when spinning in the nose cone center to center measurement will be roughly 1/8" less than prop shaft center to center.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Registered

Interesting, it may be toed in the wrong direction. His props are a quarter inch the other way. Could this be causing the chine walk issue?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 411 Likes on 247 Posts

Is this boat yellow with a ghosted checkered flag towards the rear? If so, I ran that boat to 90mph when I was looking at it a few years ago and it handled fine. Something obviously has changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.