41st Airborne

Notices

41st Airborne

Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 41st Airborne

Hey Pete,
Yup, I got the old Apache trailer. It has been a project for way too long. I got caught in the "while I'm here I might as well redo this" mode. Things take longer than expected, you have less time then you thought, life gets in the way... blah blah blah. In the end I can only point the finger at myself for it not being on the water. Hopefully late this season.
I ran the Boyne City run with Steve two weekends ago. Your old boat is quite a ride. I can only imagine what it was like to race it.
Jim
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by art kern
i think you are wrong PETE , kevlar hull , but what do i know . i only worked at skater , for over 12 years , and worked on your boat when it was at skater . I DO NOT THINK THE OLD SAVAGE IS A RESIN BUCKET , IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN . I THINK IT IS JUST AS GOOD , OR EVEN BETTER , IN THE ROUGH , AS AN APACHE !!!!!! ARTIE / A . K . A . /
What are you smoking, Artie!

The first time we encountered Savage was leaving the Saugatuck light in my Apache 41 PLEASURE BOAT with measly Merc 575's, headed north into 3-5's. Savage wasn't even close by the time we reached Holland. Jimmy said he was embarrassed.

My boat was a 70 MPH brick!

Art, I know you're just pulling my chain, but can you name even one Cougar "V" that ever won anything?

Neither can I.

Which is not to say that Savage isn't a great boat to restore. I think it's a classic, and I'd be proud to have it today... part of our history.

I got a ride in one of the first tripple engine 46's at the Miami boat show in the late 80's. Timmy Chasuli drove it, and it went almost 100. VERY fast at the time. He was in a business deal with the former head of Chris Craft (Dick Genth)to import them into this country.

I don't think it ever got off the ground . . . because Apache was a more winning boat then.

Last edited by ApachePete; 07-27-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered

Yo Artie whatsup???(You still need to change your screen name to Offshore Artie!!!!)
The transom is good. Frank did a little work on it when he was glassing up the old exhaust holes(I'm going to bring a new set of tail pipes out a little lower for if I ever put a swim platform on her). There were a couple other areas by the tabs which, believe it or not, I got a gun in my hand and actually did a little paint work. Was a little nervous at first, but I think it came out really good. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to start doing any mid hull side repair fades or anything like that, but with the trim tab breaking it up, it looks pretty good. Transom housings are installed along with the tab plates. I have to make some "custom' washers for the stupid exterior steering plates because they are smaller than a std washer, but those will be on this weekend. Boy are there a lot of "custom" parts on this boat now. I don't know what I would have done on this project without my lathe, milling machine and tig welder. It is nice to be self sufficient!!!! Cougar vs Apache??? No no no!!! Don't want to start a pissing match. I think it would be hard to compare a multi-bulkhead race layup ride like Pete's old boat to a pleasure layup. Plus don't forget the 3 extra feet!!! I thought I would maybe be able to keep up with Tabs Warren.... oops sorry Carl... I mean Careful Carl, but after seeing the numbers he is getting post McManus redo, I think I'll be hanging back and letting Steve and Carl warm up the dock for my late arrival. First round is on me guys!!! I have had the pleasure of riding in Allez Vite, and if mine rides half as good as that, I will be happy. After the Boyne City run with Steve, what I think I miss the most about boating is simply being out on the water with friends. Whether that is going 60 or 80!!! I got what I got, and after the countless hours I have put into it, I am looking forward to enjoying it.

Jim
Old 07-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim (Lunatic Fringe) obviously a Red Ryder fan? sorry to step in on your thread, anyway there is a 41' Apache somewhere in Detroit that I haven't seen in at least 10 yrs and it was named Lunatic Fringe, it had a wild psychedelic paint job that covered every inch of fiberglass and sounded like it was strictly business, just thought it might of been you.
ps. A 38' Cougar is a very nice boat, that can hang with the best of them.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Registered

Lee,
Yup, one of my favorite boat tracks. I think I have seen a picture of that boat. It looked like someone shopped at a House of Color going out of business sale!!! If there was any original gel on the boat I don't remember seeing it!!!

Artie,
I love you too man!!!....... but your not getting my Bud Light!!!!!

Jim
Old 07-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe
Lee,
Yup, one of my favorite boat tracks. I think I have seen a picture of that boat. It looked like someone shopped at a House of Color going out of business sale!!! If there was any original gel on the boat I don't remember seeing it!!!

Artie,
I love you too man!!!....... but your not getting my Bud Light!!!!!

Jim
Thats the one, fluorescent green, orange, yellow you name it.
Wonder what happened to it?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonto
Lunatic Fringe,
Some of us like to get the boats and turn them into something that "we" like, not the original owner. I could understand if it was a celebrated race boat, but my case was a ugly a$$ pleasure boat. The quaility of the paint was impectable, but the graphics were hiddious.
"FIGHTER SQUADRON : CODE NAME: TONTO"
I think I did a pretty good job re-doing the boat and that is all that matters to me. I enjoy the boat and use it, although if I could figure out how to mount it on the mantle of the fireplace of our new home, I would

Robert

like i have said be4 the nicest apache till date in my opion

donz jr mike