Electrical Help

Notices

Electrical Help

Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Help

Have a problem with part of the electrical system. The port motor and some other electronics are working fine. The starboard side does not work. It also controls the radio,engine hatch and maybe a few other things. Now when I hold the 'parallel' switch on the dash then the starboard side works. Also when I plug the shore power in and turn on the master switch the starboard side still does not work. I first thought and maybe still is a battery problem. But I also thought if thats the case why doesn't the shorepower turn it on because you bypass the battery right? I have checked for loose wires on the batteries and opened the battery box but can't seem to find anything obvious. Any help is appreciated
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Most likely it's the circuit breaker on the engine.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Circuit breaker is ok. The power works to everything when I hold the parallel switch.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Circuit breaker is ok. The power works to everything when I hold the parallel switch.
that doesn't mean anything with the parallel switch....

Put a test light on the back of the circuit breaker (the 50/60 amp one located on the back of the engine), both posts, and see if you have power. They run a test light in the compartment behind your dashboard in the cabin. Down low you will see two buss bars with about 15 fuses on each buss bar. The one on the left controls the stb electronics and the one on the right controls the port electronics. If you have power on one buss bar and not the other you're not getting any power from the engine, via the harness which is connected to the circuit breaker. Also, sometimes the small wire going from the starter to the circuit breaker can corrode over time and fall apart.

You need to start from the battery cable and work your way forward.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
that doesn't mean anything with the parallel switch....

Put a test light on the back of the circuit breaker (the 50/60 amp one located on the back of the engine), both posts, and see if you have power. They run a test light in the compartment behind your dashboard in the cabin. Down low you will see two buss bars with about 15 fuses on each buss bar. The one on the left controls the stb electronics and the one on the right controls the port electronics. If you have power on one buss bar and not the other you're not getting any power from the engine, via the harness which is connected to the circuit breaker. Also, sometimes the small wire going from the starter to the circuit breaker can corrode over time and fall apart.

You need to start from the battery cable and work your way forward.
Pather is right on with this , I just finished refurb a 36 apache and I found the rivits on the fuse panels behind the dash to be loose and corroded. Tom
Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TomFTM
Pather is right on with this , I just finished refurb a 36 apache and I found the rivits on the fuse panels behind the dash to be loose and corroded. Tom
Check the starter for power. If no power check battery switch or connection on switch or battery connection. Eric
Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Check the starter for power. If no power check battery switch or connection on switch or battery connection. Eric
Hey where was that 41 Apache today? Why didn't you do the brunch run . It was a blast.. Tom
Old 10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Ok thanks for the replies I will check all that has been mentioned and let you know.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,

I have been having issues with mine this season as well. I have been putting it off till I put the boat back on the trailer in a couple of weeks.

Mine started off with my voltage meter not working all of the time on my starboard side. Then, one night I went to hit my panel lights and I had no panel lights to illuminate my guages. I changed the fuse and as soon as I flip the switch It blows the fuse.

So at that point I am thinking I have a ground short somewhere off of the panel lights which I persume can affect all the guages due to the fact that each guage has a panel light.

Then a couple of weeks later I get in her and flip my toggles up and my fuel guage is reading "E". That would be fine but I had just fueled her up. So now I am thinking some bastard Siphoned 180-192 Gallons of fuel out of my boat. I head to the marina to get fuel and notice that when I adjust my drives my fuel guage begins to dance up each time I adjust the drive. Sure enough I only needed 15 gallons of fuel so it all has to do with my electric blunder.

Then, Today I am running along and my starboard tach starts dancing around crazily if I am between 2500-3200 rpms. If I bump her up to 3500rpm's she is fine. Then we stopped and had lunch and it didn't do it again (we usually cruise between 3-3500 rpms)

I was already planning on doing the bezels on my guages and doing my vents over the winter, so I am going to have to figure what it is that is touching something it isn't supposed to inside my dash. I wanted to wait until I have plenty of time because, As you know, the wiring looks like it is a friggin airplane (cushion clamps and zip ties about every 1/2 inch).

Let me know what you discover and I will do likewise. It will probably be another 3-4 weeks before I tear in to mine. It was 82 degrees and sunny today and I hope to do a bit more boating before winterizing and starting the projects.

On another note:

My hatch is wired seperate. I can have both my battery's turned to off and my hatch still works.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by baywatch
On another note:

My hatch is wired seperate. I can have both my battery's turned to off and my hatch still works.
Mine is wired the same way. The fuses buss for the hatch and the bildge pumps should be behind the dash on the right hand side midway up, green wires....

Quick Reply: Electrical Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.