Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Apache
41 or 46? >

41 or 46?

Notices

41 or 46?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 42apache
i guess lenght isn't everything........................ everything being equal.
Park a 28 Apache next to a 35 Cigarette and compare running surfaces. Prett close to the same bottom. Then look at a Top Gun next to a Tiger. The TG has every bit the bottom, but less nose. I've never seen it but I'd imagine a RR would compare similarly- they look fairly "pointy".
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Here is my 02 cents. I have a 42 Tiger, I take it and run it by myself all the time, can dock it fine unless the current is real bad. It does fit in my driveway. I got caught in some rough water last weekend and all I got was wet, I don't feel beat up at all. Depending on the boats and the weight, that will determine your ride and speed. I too am looking at rough riders as well as a couple 41's and have to decide on wether or not I want the amenities of a cabin still. I still do quite a bit with my daughter and when she isn't around some hotties come along. you can make either one of them work, but one of them will fit the role without as much force. try to ride in each of them a few times and that will help ya, either way I don't think you could go wrong.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacred Ground
Here is a little story-

Two years ago we went on a poker run in the Chesapeake Bay.Over 90 boats and some parts were a little rough,but not bad at all.We were in the Apache and at the lunch stop we over heard some guys that were in a new 46' Cigarette Rough Rider say "how rough it was and that they were all beat-up".
My wife and I and the couple that was with us,just smiled.

There's your sign-
some people think a powerboat ride should be smooth as a Cadillac..but when it ainīt you overhear stuff like that all the time...same happens in auto racing when thereīs people who hasnīt been around Motorsport to speak of.
You hear people speak how to race/drive smoothly but they donīt understand their pace is just *****footing...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacred Ground
Here is a little story-

Two years ago we went on a poker run in the Chesapeake Bay.Over 90 boats and some parts were a little rough,but not bad at all.We were in the Apache and at the lunch stop we over heard some guys that were in a new 46' Cigarette Rough Rider say "how rough it was and that they were all beat-up".
My wife and I and the couple that was with us,just smiled.

There's your sign-

Did you smile because you liked the rough water, or you weren't beat up?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
some people think a powerboat ride should be smooth as a Cadillac..but when it ainīt you overhear stuff like that all the time...same happens in auto racing when thereīs people who hasnīt been around Motorsport to speak of.
You hear people speak how to race/drive smoothly but they donīt understand their pace is just *****footing...
One of my friends did this. They went from a 31 Scarab to a 38' Donzi Daytona, full stand up cabin.

Prior to them buying it, everyone told her she would love the ride compared to their 31. The day of the sea trail was very rough on Lake Erie, 5 to 6 footers, no lie. It was something, so we just went up a wave, down a wave, got a little wet, so no running fast.

They buy the boat and they go out in some rough water and she honestly was disappointed that the ride wasn't smoother and felt "tricked."

The ride compared to the 31 Scarab was awesome! She honestly thought they would feel nothing in the boat in 2 to 3 footers.

She loves the boat, but some people do expect the ride to be like a Cadillac. Ride in a 31' foot anything then a 38' and up in 2 to 3 footers and tell me which one you'd rather be in???
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Physics is still physics. Even though we're talking boats. These flyweight stepped boats are amazing on flat water. But they're not going to ride anywhere near as nice as an old Stinger 39 or Excalibur 40.... or an Apache.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Still difficult for us to remember that in rough water you need to go fast in order to have a good ride and not pound the hell out of the boat.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Don Aronow was one of those people...that is why he built his powerboats the way he did and raced the hell out of them.