Who owns the Apache trademark and name?

Notices

Who owns the Apache trademark and name?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Panther
Omar, was that the wide-body 36'???

You've been there and lived it and in my opinion you have the right!!! The rest of us just grew up watching and dreaming from the sidelines!

BTW, I spoke with Bobby the other day as he was pulling a boat to change some cutlass bearings and getting ready to head out of town. We were chatting about a project I'm working on!

Thanks for contributing to the site, it's great to hear your input!
Next time you speak or talk to Bobby, say hi to him for me please. I haven't seen him in too long to mention.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Omar
I don't see Apache brand loyalty or value destroyed. I think Apache guys are probably the most loyal and used Apache powerboats among the highest priced. Even in a terrible market. I also think that Apache customer satisfaction is very high. I agree with Top Banana about today's buyer, they are really not interested in a offshore powerboat's rough water capability, they want high top speed numbers. That is why other manufacturers went to multiple steps, they give high top speed numbers. But, there are trade off's like in everything, and some of those trade off's deal with personal safety.
So, in the end we all have to decide what we want in a powerboat and how we will spend our money.
This has been an interesting thread. Good luck in your search.
Ed
You have a fair point Ed, but like any tribe it needs to grow to survive else they either get diluted or are extinct thru time.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Apache1
What kills me in this whole story and this thread I started is: I love Apache's and I spend all my time looking at other solutions!!!!
If I walked up to Mark he would sell me his designs but could not test a boat we are talking about apart from Cold War or Tsunami...now that to me is bad business judgement, why?
Because you built stuff for the people that pay you the most but you destroy your brand value and loyalty along the way because the guy that bought the boat for twice the price will never buy another from Apache because he is most likely disappointed from his boat in the same way we are today and the guys that would have bought more boats for a reasonable price can't afford it at twice the price. Net net, you are left with occasional refits which in my case was also a disappointment with Heritage. If I were Mark, I would put my money where my mouth is, I would build the boats I design, prove they work and sell them (that is what we did with Heritage, the first sit down canopy V bottom in 1991 and won two world titles with it). That is how every factory started and is alive today. I don't know why Apache would escape the "gravity" of market logic, they are after all heavy boats and should therefore obey the same market "gravity" logic unless the business model is about refitting the old hulls at the price of a new one....but that also has limits in time. The hulls will age and the boats aren't worth the hull's residual value so your audience of potential refits will shrink with time and not grow. Maybe the cycle has come for Apache to build new ones again? How many times can you recycle a hull before it is rotten to the bone? The time has come to get real again Apache, else you will be like the American Indians that once ruled this land, sitting in a reserve and slowly abandoned as your refit options will expire. Sorry to all for my frustration, but when it comes to Apache's I get really emotional.
I understand totally, I see and agree with you, thats why with my 20 cig, I see a market for the parts that I am custom designing and having made. Do you still have the 50? I could see a sit down refit on that, and with todays engine technology, a pair of good staggered 1200's that are reliable like tommys turbos and you have a great pkg for rough water.
As for Marks business plan, I guess it works for him. I would love to see old school looks with todays technology in an apache, like the way spirit of Apache came out or the way quick tempered was redone...Rob

oh ans as you well know, the say the best way to make a million in the boat industry it start out with 2 mil.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apache1
You have a fair point Ed, but like any tribe it needs to grow to survive else they either get diluted or are extinct thru time.
Omar
I agree, every business needs financial input to keep solvent. And everything, including us eventually becomes extinct thru time. The best idea is to enjoy it while we are here.
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 04-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Agreed! Boats are by far the best investment I have made in the last two years! run them, enjoy them and get back at least half your money. That's by far a better deal than most of us got in this economy or 401K's got for their money.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I understand totally, I see and agree with you, thats why with my 20 cig, I see a market for the parts that I am custom designing and having made. Do you still have the 50? I could see a sit down refit on that, and with todays engine technology, a pair of good staggered 1200's that are reliable like tommys turbos and you have a great pkg for rough water.

oh ans as you well know, the say the best way to make a million in the boat industry it start out with 2 mil.
No I don't have the 47 any longer. The number 50 on the side was given to us by Don Johnson as a token of appreciation for the years Richie Powers raced with him on Team USA. I refit the boat in 2003 at Mark's shop, ran it in open water and in two or three poker runs for about two years. The boat had major problems with headers (unheard off in marine industry, until this day I have stomach cramps when I think about it). I decided it needed a close to home owner to look over it properly as Mark did not and I gave the Heritage to Richie Powers which sold it to one of Mark's clients which did..... another refit out of all things. That is why I don't know where it is at now. I posted a thread to search for the boat. Not that I would want to own or buy it but this boat was our baby to all of us at some point. It truly made history back when it was built. It was never defeated in any race, won all races so retired at the crown of its success. She truly deserves all the respect an old lady can get, she really deserves to sit in the hall of fame of HORBA or similar.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Omar
I don't see Apache brand loyalty or value destroyed. I think Apache guys are probably the most loyal and used Apache powerboats among the highest priced. Ed
I agree, They have and are still to this day the pioneers of the custom boating industry. I'm an avid fan and apache owner, albeit only a 28. I have three guys I can go to to overhaul this old resin bucket if need be - B. Saccenti, M McManus, and Eric Froberg. If I want a new one built McManus can do it. If I need the current one fixed up a bit Froberg is willing to take care of his boat 20 years later........and he doesn't even work for apache anymore. Saccenti is also open to restoration jobs. I've talked with all three of these guys. How many customers can say the same on a 20 year old boat with 3-4 previous owners.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Registered

Apache1 : Please forgive any oversight as I read through this for the most part but Skimmed a good bit of it..

That being said If you are looking for a new 41 or 47 built rock solid with new materials & not looking for a 750k boat take a few minutes & give Doug Geelhoed a call at Saber... (616-837-6666) It will not say Apache on it but it is the mold & though there are not many around they do build Proven Quality !! I would obviously get nothing as I have no association with them other than owning one of their boats , but a brownie point or two never hurts... So feel free to tell him that Little Dc's Rod Shop sent you & that I said hello... lol...

Like I said I read a good amount of this thread but by far not every detail so if you are not looking to have a new 41 or 47 built please forgive my oversight.. From what I did get you are not really looking to have McManus build you one & if it helps Saber would build you a Great boat , as would Pantera , or Bannana either one...

Again Not in any way tring to get in a pissing match with anybody about anything just thought it was worth a mention !!!

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 04-26-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I agree, They have and are still to this day the pioneers of the custom boating industry. I'm an avid fan and apache owner, albeit only a 28. I have three guys I can go to to overhaul this old resin bucket if need be - B. Saccenti, M McManus, and Eric Froberg. If I want a new one built McManus can do it. If I need the current one fixed up a bit Froberg is willing to take care of his boat 20 years later........and he doesn't even work for apache anymore. Saccenti is also open to restoration jobs. I've talked with all three of these guys. How many customers can say the same on a 20 year old boat with 3-4 previous owners.
I can only think of 2 Active Thunder & Pantera.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Registered

Ed
I'm glad that's the best you can come up with. It certainly isn't the 80's anymore. However, I would have to agree with Omar. One can only hope that Apache survives on an occasional new boat build and doing refits. I can still remember, some years back, when a couple of friends were standing and bidding on all of the contents of Apache in Hollywood at the government sale. Things have certainly changed since then.

Sorry for the delayed response...I had to take time off from this site to go boating. The Desert Storm Poker Run was a BLAST!

Last edited by BattleCry; 04-29-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.