Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read >

Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read

Notices

Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read

Old 07-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read

My husband and I were boating last year.
Well, first let me say that I just found this site today, and think it is a great resource for power boating and for owners.
That being said. I want to share with each of you that reads this, that I truly hope you will always exercise good judgement when you are out in your boats. Please wear a "kill switch" , and keep it on until you dock the boat. He had taken his off too soon that day.
My husband is gone now, and I think he would like this site too, if he were still here.
We were in our boat last September, less than a 1/4 mile from the Kemah Boardwalk/ Chanel,when he swerved to miss a crab trap, that was barely noticeable because of the poorly discolored float, and also it was in a navigable chanel, and was not supposed to be. We immediately hit another boat's wake that was off to our port side about a 100 feet, and he was ejected from the boat, where it ran over him & he went into the prop and died.
I sustained broken ribs, and an arm, and was knocked out.
I stayed inside the confines of our boat.
I would like to know if any of you has ever heard of such an incident,etc?
I had always felt like our boat was too fast & too light for the type of chop we have in Trinity/Galveston Bay, and that the accident was avoidable, if only some slight changes to the boat were made during manufacturing. and lastly that there were stricter laws for crab trapping in the Gulf waters.
I have been writing to our representatives and trying to get some new laws passed regulating the placement of crab traps.
Our speed at the time of the accident was not very fast, maybe 45-5- mph, again the chop keeps the speed down somewhat.
Not sure why I wrote this today, but I have been planning his one year memorial this past week, and so it is so fresh on my mind, I guess.
Clark was 45, and died one day shy of his 46th birthday.
We had just gotten married a few months before in May in Grand Cayman.
He loved all kinds of boating, especially being in our Baja, as well as sailing, and he was formerly in the Navy when he was younger.
He died September 4th, 2004. His Memorial is going to be held on September 3rd, 2005, at Outrigger's in Kemah, TX, at 2pm. If you think about it that day, maybe you can say a prayer for him. I know he would appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Jacque West
Seabrook, TX
Old 07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read

That is extremely tragic and I am very sorry for your loss. This story is a good reminder to wear kill switches, even though it may have not helped since it sounds like the boats momentum would have passed over him regardless.

I think this thread needs to be on the main forum.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's simply very tragic, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Please accept my condolences.

To answer your question though, yes there have been other incidences where someone was ejected from a boat and it kept running and came back to harm the occupants, it's not common though. There was a guy who got thrown our of a boat about a month ago and ut continued along the shoreline smashing some boats and docks. Lanyards are a must.

In all fairness though, I too owned a 25 Outlaw for almost 4 years and it is one of most stable, forgiving boats on the performance market.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jacque, it was your husband's death that changed my boating forever.

We were rafted in Nassau Bay after the Poker Run when we heard the news. Another boater, who had been on the scene, told us of the accident. It was sobering news, since we boat the same waters on a boat the same size as yours.

Since that time, my wife and I will not even start our boat without attaching kill switches (we have two). Our "gang" has adopted the practice, also, because of your husband's accident. We police each other diligently, and won't let them forget.

We're so sorry for your loss, and can only imagine your pain.

Jim & Janet Guidry
Dickinson, Texas
Old 07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry for your loss.

God Bless

I found this link which shows your husband must have been a hell of a guy!

http://www.bakerdrywall.com/news.htm

As for the 25 Outlaw like mentioned above I have found them to be a very capable boat. But we all must take every safety measure available to us and never forget that we and our boats have limitations. I do not know what Baja could have done differently, a 25 foot boat is a 25 foot boat, and the Baja is much heavier and rough water ready than many other brands.

Look at it like this, if it had been a lighter boat, or a stepped hull boat you both may have been ejected and we would not be talking with you today.
God Bless

P.S. Welcome to the site.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 07-25-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

To everyone who replied back, Thanks for your kind words.

I can try to explain for you, my quandry about our boat's performance that day and other days as well, but perhaps it is more speculation than anything else factual.
As I said earlier, I felt like there was never enough "true weight" to our boat to keep us as stable as I would have preferred. Meaning that on numerous occassions I noted that we seem to wobble somewhat in choppy waters at speeds of not really more than 30-35 ish or so. When we decided to purchase a power boat it was the hull design that attracted us to the Baja, the deep "V" hull design so to speak.
I can't help but wonder back to that awful afternoon when we made that abrupt left turn, and how the boat seem to take on a life of it's own. After that I don't remember much, it's pretty hazy, but the witnesses that saw us said that our boat did some crazy moves even seem to stop and resurge again in the seconds before we hit the wake that sent us vertical, and ejected Clark. My thoughts are this: Is the boat too light with only 2 people in it, and no real interior weight, except for our personal items? Should we have had added some additional weight for balance? These are the questions that plague my mind, my heart, and lastly because I'd like to prevent anyone from going through what I did. Not being an engineer, I am not educated in this area enough to be sure of any of this. So, perhaps some of you are, and can help to ease my mind about our boat, which I still own, but am selling. I do want to someday return to boating, as I grew up around boating, and love it so much, but part of me is unsure if I will ever be able to go out in a similar type boat ever again. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered

I am no engineer however these are my thoughts on the questions you ask.

(Is the boat too light with only 2 people in it, and no real interior weight, except for our personal items?)

All performance boat companies strive to reduce the weight of their performance boats to gain faster top end speeds. The 25' Outlaw is actually heavier than some other brands of similar size. Smaller boats do tend to "chine walk" (what you are talking about when you say it rocks back and forth). It can be hightened when you have a 24% hull. However the 24% hull cuts through chop and swells better. It's a give/take situation.

(Should we have had added some additional weight for balance?)

No. And I assure you if you did this accident would have still occured unless you doubled the weight of the boat and slowed the speed down. But no one can see the future and adding weight to a boat would bring into play a whole new set of dangerous circumstances. That's why there are load restrictions on the hulls.

Alot of the time when tragedy strikes people look for blame. I can assure you that this was an accident that would've happend to any boat of a similar size and unfortunately has and will continue to happen. It sounds as if you hooked the boat when you came down from the wake. I've done it in my 24 Outlaw I used to own and was nearly tossed out the boat too.

Hooking, stuffing, loosing control, or any other bad event can happen in ANY size performance boat and does happen. It's not your husbands fault and it's not the boats fault. With any extreme sport (I would consider "speed boats" an extreme sport) there is an amount of risk that occurrs. It's simply fate, if you believe in that. I'm sure your husband would not want you to stop boating and I hope if you can bring yourself to continue that you do indeed keep boating.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Registered

So sorry for your loss. Welcome to the site and I hope you find some comfort here among us all.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by high-tide
It was regrettably, at that speed....driver error. No ands, if's or buts.
High-Tide
I don't know....You can't blame someone for swerving to miss something that pops out in front of you. I've had it happen to me. The fact is it happens. I guess the plane fact is that he was in control of the boat and the reaction caused the swerve that hit the wave and caused the boat to hook or hit violantly. I wouldn't neccessarily say that's driver error. But I def. wouldn't say it's boat malfunction. It's an accident. One of many situations one can find themselves in while running their boat.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered

Kemah IS notorious for having those damn crab traps right at the mouth of the board walk. You can't even see them with the little white buoys they mark them with. I'll see if I can't take some pictures this weekend that way everyone will understand better. I'm very sorry to hear about your lose....

Quick Reply: Lost at Sea : All Baja 25 Owners Please Read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.