Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ?? >

Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ??

Notices

Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ??

Old 09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ??

I am looking for someone who has experience dialing in Baja's for maximum performance. I.E. Phil at Lipship or Tres with the Cigs. I have alot of power in my rig and I know it is nowhere near where it needs to be as far as top end goes. I also don't have a endless supply of money to play hit or miss with. I am looking for the guy who can see what I've got for power and then say, O.K. you need this spacer and this prop and get the hull straightened and you will go this speed.

Any help for me ????

Thanks,

Smitty

Oh yeah. I am currently running 750 hp blower motors and XR drives with 1" shorter lowers in a 2000 36 Outlaw that weighs in at around 10,000 as I normally run it. Right now it is running a solid 83 gps with 1/4 tank. I am currently running a Maximus 28" prop because I need the blades to get on plane. I know this boat should be in the upper 80's if not more.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-06-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ??

what year? if its a pre-2001 you could stand another 1" shorter. Ive heard the 5 blades suck on the 36. dock tried one and i dont think it worked.

there is a guy that was running 850's and 3a's (docks friend) you might see how his is setup and go from there.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Boat is a 2000. I went from stock bravos to XR's with a 1" shorter lower from Imco and with the same props I had slip numbers in the 25-35 % range and it took forever to get on plane. Now it gets up fairly quickly and has slip in the low teens on top but i have no big speed numbers as I should with 1500 hp.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty,

The 36 is a big boat. They will go, I have seen two first hand running in the 90's, but it takes a lot more HP.

I have spoken to several folks at Baja and they have all told me the same thing "HORSEPOWER".

The 36 punches a BIG hole in the air. It is what it is, a nice boat, lots of room, very comfortable and has a lot of room, but they are not fast.

Getting the slip factor down is a big problem also. MOst are in the 18% range which hurts.

The guys at Hawkeye marine are the best I've seen at making things happen with Baja's. Then you always have Lake "X", if you can get someone to set that up for you.

But I would focus on HP. One that I know of here in the Carolina's has 850 Tyler Crocketts with #3 drives and runs mid 90's. He has had the hull blueprinted. The other converted his stock 502 mags to 509's and put Whipples on. The work was done by MER in South Carolina. He also had IMCO Extreme's with 1 inch shorter lowers and was in the low 90's. These engines also dynoed at 850 HP.

There was a 36 built with Merc 900's and #6 drives that ran 110 MPH. I saw it forsale recently on one of the sites. From what I was told it was the only factory 36 ever built with #6 drives.

HORSEPOWER
HORSEPOWER
HORSEPOWER

My 500 EFI's dynoed at 580 HP with all accessories and I see a solid 77 to 78 MPH. I have been playing with props and cannot find anything to get me to 80.

It's a GREAT hull, it is just not fast.

Keep us posted.

Dock
Old 09-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

I have a 2000 33 Outlaw with the the 500HP's newly installed I had the three blades getting labbed and asked Mercury racing to run some numbers on a pair of labbed 4 blade bravo's that we labbed I found for sale and they said "Don't you dare put anything but a three blade on that boat. So being a stubborn boater and in need of props I bought them and boy were they right. The ride was horrible and the boat would plow in the waterbusting through waves. When I got my labbed 27's back they were 8 mph better. To go fast you go to bring the whole boat up out of the water and four blade will not work on my setup...5 would allow pontoons to pass me.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered

Ive always heard boxes dont help 36's, but since i have the "low" x dimension, I was wondering if i changed to a 2" up box if it would help. I would

1. raise my "x" to the higher, faster x

2. get cleaner water.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Ive always heard boxes dont help 36's, but since i have the "low" x dimension, I was wondering if i changed to a 2" up box if it would help. I would

1. raise my "x" to the higher, faster x

2. get cleaner water.

You are right, on the stock drive length they do NOT help at all.

As for the 2 inch shortie with the boxes, I have not found anyone who has tried them.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by outlawinil
I have a 2000 33 Outlaw with the the 500HP's newly installed I had the three blades getting labbed and asked Mercury racing to run some numbers on a pair of labbed 4 blade bravo's that we labbed I found for sale and they said "Don't you dare put anything but a three blade on that boat. So being a stubborn boater and in need of props I bought them and boy were they right. The ride was horrible and the boat would plow in the waterbusting through waves. When I got my labbed 27's back they were 8 mph better. To go fast you go to bring the whole boat up out of the water and four blade will not work on my setup...5 would allow pontoons to pass me.

That is very interesting. I cannot remember seeing a 33 that did not have 4 blades.

With Baja and all true deep vees you MUST carry the bow. You need a bow lifting prop and that is done in the way they cup the props.

If you bought a set up props that were labbed for a stepped hull boat, then you will not be happy. If the props were labbed for your specific application then they should have worked very well.

I know Jeff "Steeloutlawed" runs 30 pitch 4-blades on his 33 at close to 80 MPH.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
You are right, on the stock drive length they do NOT help at all.

As for the 2 inch shortie with the boxes, I have not found anyone who has tried them.
Dock,

I have the stock drive length, but my "x" is 2" deeper than yours (2000 model) If I got the boxes, I could raise my "x" without putting on shorties and get cleaner water. make sense? I wonder if it would work on my application vs not working on yours.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Dock,

I have the stock drive length, but my "x" is 2" deeper than yours (2000 model) If I got the boxes, I could raise my "x" without putting on shorties and get cleaner water. make sense? I wonder if it would work on my application vs not working on yours.

It makes sense, but one of the 36's I mentioned that runs in the 90's came with boxes new from the factory, and it is a 1999 model. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will be happy to give you the guys name , phone number and email address. He will tell you that the boxes did not help his boat at all.

I'm basing my comments on that and the fact that four different people at Baja told me that they have never worked on the 36 to improve performance.

I will tell you that a guy I have been talking to out West has a new 2005 model with 525's and boxes and he is getting 81 to 82 MPH on the factory speedo. That leads me to believe that they are working for him.

We gave some serious thought to adding them to my boat this winter while the engines were out and I could not justify it. Who knows, they may work on your setup?

Quick Reply: Who has the most experience setting up Baja's for speed etc ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.