Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1" shorty Lower

Wow, those look great, Dock!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc,
I am very interested to see how the lowers work on your boat. I changed mine and it didn't get me anything but more expense.

Let us all know as soon as you get em wet !!!

Smitty
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
Doc,
I am very interested to see how the lowers work on your boat. I changed mine and it didn't get me anything but more expense.

Let us all know as soon as you get em wet !!!

Smitty
I will Smitty. Actually I'm not doing it for more speed. Just building up a couple of killer drives and I really like the looks of them.

Gary HP500 has a 2003 36 Outlaw and he says he got 2 MPH out of them and he really likes the handling.

We will see. Worse case I will have to put a spacer in them.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered

Ttt
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

So Dock do you have any results for us yet?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by boss252
So Dock do you have any results for us yet?

Sorry, but it will be spring. My uppers are being rebult right now and I expect to have them back in a month or so.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

Thanks for the update Doc. I can't wait to see the results.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boss252
Thanks for the update Doc. I can't wait to see the results.
Has anyone put 1 or 2 inch shorties on a 29 ol ? What were the results?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Okay, the UPS man delivered the uppers today back from **** Tryce.

He rebuilt my two backup upper units. First he checked the housings thoroughly, then replaced all the bearings and seals. Then we updated from the stock XZ gears to new XR gears that were first shipped to California to be Cryogenically treated. Then he added new Max Machine Worx Billet Top Caps and the Max drive shower. Last but not least are the new IMCO 5 bolt back caps for the steering and tie bar.

I have been selling bearings to **** for over two years now and I have really come to appreciate him as one of the best "SETUP" men in the outdrive industry.

**** is a perfectionist and even set the backlash up on each drive according to which one would be running forward, and which in reverse.

He likes you to break the drives in by the following schedule.

First run the drives about 15 minutes not exceeding 3500 RPM. Come off plane and let them cool. Repeat this process a couple of times and gradually start increasing the RPM and time run and repeat the off plane cooling process.

He says this allows for heat expansion and contraction and everything seats better in place for the long haul.

He also likes you to change the oil a 5 hours, then 10 hours, then every 20 hours or so. Even though he admits he is bad about running his 40 to 50 hours between oil changes. I have always done mine every 20 hours.

Now for the funny part. I asked and he told me.

****, What drive oil do you like?

Well I was not expecting his answer, and told him after I quit laughing that he was pushing the craziest snake oil formula I had ever heard of.

He recommends using Royal Purple Max 75W90 with 5 ozs of Pro-Long Engine Treatment mixed in for each drive. He said he was told about the Pro-Long many years ago by a buddy in California and after much success he is convienced it makes a difference. He said you can spin his props out of the water and they keep spinning!

**** ran many tests a few years ago with his boat looking for the the coolest drive temps possible and said the above combination yielded the best temps by over 10 degrees.

Not sure what I am going to run yet, still sitting on the fence, but he assured me that if I stay with the Merc I have been running they will do fine.

Here is ****'s business card if anyone is interested in his services, or would just like to call and ask him a question. Tell him Dock sent you.

__________________________________________________ _____
****'s Performance Marine, LLC
Holland Michigan

**** Tryce
AKA Mr. Gadgets

Specialitizing in the Repair and Blueprinting of Bravo Outdrives for Performance Applications.

616-335-8446
616-403-1006 Cell
__________________________________________________ _____

While up at Lake Erie year before last we met MANY very happy customers of ****'s. He is THE MAN up in that area. They all say the samething, "HE UNDERSTANDS SETUP BETTER THEN ANYONE ELSE".

**** builds the drives for the Baja H2X that has ran the LOTO Shootout twice at over 115 MPH. This guy HAMMERS this boat like no one else out of the hole. he was breaking a drive every month before **** started working with him and they almost made it a full summer last year. I also know a very happy Black Thunder owner, and we know how hard BT's are on outdrives.

Just wanted to share this information.

Here are a few pictures.

Dock
Attached Thumbnails 1" shorty Lower-bravo-xr-drives-016.jpg  
Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

A few more.
Attached Thumbnails 1" shorty Lower-bravo-xr-drives-002.jpg   1" shorty Lower-bravo-xr-drives-004.jpg   1" shorty Lower-bravo-xr-drives-012.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1" shorty Lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.