Notices

Boating in December

Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boating in December

Jason,
It ran out at about 73 on the lieometer with a full tank of gas and four adults(plus beverages). It was fast enough for Barb to say "Are you having fun now ). I still think the fastest thing on this boat is the gas gauge----but kids must play
Jay
Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Dock - You sound like the guy that I have been wanting to talk to. A few questions that I have if you could help a new comer from Ohio:

Do you recommend a marina to keep your boat? I have called five or six and have only got an answer from one which was Westport Marina. They seem to be a good fit as they are a Baja dealer. There prices seem reasonable from the one data point that I have. I have never racked stored a boat so this is going to be a new thing for me.

Is there any good websites and or maps that show the hot spots on Norman? I hear it is a really fun lake with awesome bars and eating places.

What is the lake like? Pretty good depths? What is the rafting law?

Don’t worry – I had the boat out in the mid 60’s on the temp gauge so I have a feeling that I am going to get a good strong eight months of boating in.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

You will like Norman, it is a very nice lake (except for the rafting laws).
Rafting laws? Say it ain't so.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Rafting laws? Say it ain't so.
I wish.

You cannot have more then two boats rafted if you are within 300 yards of the shore, or if there are other boats within 100 yards of you.

They let you slide in some areas, but Cocktail Cove is where the problem began with noise and with the upscale homes and golf course they got the rafting laws on the books and they really enforce them in that area.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Dock - You sound like the guy that I have been wanting to talk to. A few questions that I have if you could help a new comer from Ohio:

Do you recommend a marina to keep your boat? I have called five or six and have only got an answer from one which was Westport Marina. They seem to be a good fit as they are a Baja dealer. There prices seem reasonable from the one data point that I have. I have never racked stored a boat so this is going to be a new thing for me.
Rack storage is great. I had never done it either until we move to North Carolina. Lots of advantages, with the only down side being you have to work with their operating schedule.

Keep in mind that the marina's are SLOW this time of year and many even close for 30 to 60 days over the winter.

WestPort is nice and I have had several friends keep their boats there. They are good folks and do a good job. It is probably the only one I can recommend at this time, especially on the South end of the lake.

Skippers on the North end was the BEST for years. First class facilities and service. The owner was a performance boat guy with several Fountains and they only sold 93 Octane fuel, but he cashed out this summer for big bucks.

I can tell you to stay away from "River City". They are bad news. There is a brand new one that you can see from I-77 between exit #28 and exit #30. I know they have space, it just opened. I'll try to find out there name. Holiday Marina has always been very nice. They are right at "Rusty Rudder" resturant off exit #28 but they usually have a waiting list.

Is there any good websites and or maps that show the hot spots on Norman? I hear it is a really fun lake with awesome bars and eating places.
They call the lake "LKN" for short. Nate, one of the locals has a good website www.lknfun.com , I would check it out. They have a forum that you can go on for many answers to your questions.

There are several nice places to go.

Listed in order of popularity:

Rusty Rudder - Resturant - Inside and outside bar "FUN"
Mid Town - Sports Bar - Outside dining "FUN"
North Harbor - Resturant - Inside & Outside "VERY NICE"
Vinny's Raw Bar - No Docks - Beach or anchor and swim in.
Queens Landing - Floating Bar - Two Resturants - Piano Bar
MidWay - Best Breakfast - Crappy Docks

The biggest problem with all these places is boat parking. None can handle more then 20 boats. It can get crazy.

What is the lake like? Pretty good depths? What is the rafting law?
The lake is very nice. It is part of the Catawba River chain of lakes and was created by Duke Power in the 60's. There is a steam station and a Nuke Plant.

Like any lake there are shallow areas, but they are clearly marked with "Shoal" signs. The lake is also well marked with numbered channel markers. The main body is 33 miles long and the widest part is about two to three miles wide. It is big enough to have a lot of fun on with fast boats. Last count we know of 26 boats that are 100 MPH + with a 36 Nortech and 36 Skater being the fastest.

You are in around 40 to 50 feet of water at almost all times in the main channel, with the max depth around 120 feet near the dam. There is around 500+ miles of shoreline so you can imagine there are many small coves and some do get very shallow.

The lake is divided into the North and South parts. The South part is easily accessed from Charlotte and has the highest population and the resturants. The North part is nice to go find a quiet cove and relax, or to water ski and tube. It has less traffic and is not as rough. I tell folks that ask that you do NOT want to be on the South end on a busy weekend in anything less then 28 feet. It gets crazy.

Don’t worry – I had the boat out in the mid 60’s on the temp gauge so I have a feeling that I am going to get a good strong eight months of boating in.

Thanks in advance for the help!
You can boat from April to October almost any year. Sometimes March is good, but as the lake comes back up there can be a lot of trash. After September is dies!

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 12-19-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Registered

Red face Re: Boating in December

Dock – Thanks for the valuable input. It is greatly appreciated.

Good to hear you have heard good info on WestPort – sounds like they are the front runner. Let me know the new marina that you are referring to and I will give them a call as well. I am trying to stay on the South end as that’s where my office is going to be (Huntersville – off Sam Furr Rd.).

I have viewed the LKNFUN.com web site before and it seems to be pretty helpful. I am coming from Lake Erie were we have Put in Bay and Kelley’s Island so I am used to some sweet places to hang out at. PIB can handle hundreds of boats at a time so boat parking is never a problem.

Don’t worry the 100 mph + boat club will not be infringed upon with my little 245 with a 496 bumping low 60’s. Lake Erie is pretty consistent every day with 2 – 3 footers so I will be interested to see Norman’s chop.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Dock – Thanks for the valuable input. It is greatly appreciated.

Good to hear you have heard good info on WestPort – sounds like they are the front runner. Let me know the new marina that you are referring to and I will give them a call as well. I am trying to stay on the South end as that’s where my office is going to be (Huntersville – off Sam Furr Rd.).

I have viewed the LKNFUN.com web site before and it seems to be pretty helpful. I am coming from Lake Erie were we have Put in Bay and Kelley’s Island so I am used to some sweet places to hang out at. PIB can handle hundreds of boats at a time so boat parking is never a problem.

Don’t worry the 100 mph + boat club will not be infringed upon with my little 245 with a 496 bumping low 60’s. Lake Erie is pretty consistent every day with 2 – 3 footers so I will be interested to see Norman’s chop.

It will be a big change for you coming form that area. We have boated up there with our friends Roger & Stef AKA "RHC" with the 36 Apache and Erie is more like the coastal trips we take here.

When you get on a small lake (compared to Erie) that is just a couple of miles wide with 100's of boats, then it becomes SLOP. There is wake coming at you at all times from six sides.

On the main channel when you make the turn by the sand bar heading to I-77 (approx 5 mile run) you will pass at least 100 boats on a busy weekend. Some coming at you, some passing you, you passing others, some crossing in front of you, etc. You will be wishing for 3 footers just coming from one direction.

I look forward to seeing you down here.

Keep in touch.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Dock - Was able to check out West Port this weekend while I was looking for a place to live this weekend in CLT. Seems pretty nice and not far at all from the Huntersville area. I really like the idea that they are a Baja dealer.

One question that I have, how far am I from the hot spots that you have listed above? Should this be a concern of mine?

Thanks for all the help and Happy B-Day!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Dock - Was able to check out West Port this weekend while I was looking for a place to live this weekend in CLT. Seems pretty nice and not far at all from the Huntersville area. I really like the idea that they are a Baja dealer.

One question that I have, how far am I from the hot spots that you have listed above? Should this be a concern of mine?

Thanks for all the help and Happy B-Day!
You are right there.

When you come out of their cove into the main channel you will turn right (South) and immediately see the dam. Past the dam to the left will take you to Mid Town. About three miles total by water.

When you come our of the West Port cove and go left on the main channel you are about two miles from the sand bar, three miles from cocktail cove, 3-4 miles from Rusty Rudder and about six miles from I-77 and North Harbor.

I have not been able to find out anything on the new dry storage at Exit 28, however while heading to the airport last Saturday I noticed several Regal boats on display out front. Pier 77 is the Regal dealer, so you may wnat to call them. They may own the dry storage.

Take care