Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems >

Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems

Notices

Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems

I have a 2005 25OL and the powdercoating started bubbling after about a year, this past weekend while washing it, it started peeling off in large strips.

The teambajamarine.com website has a discussion thread in their dissatisfied customer section that has asked if others are having the same problem, and if there is a grounding wire connected to one of the mounting bolts on the inside. There is some speculation that the grounding is causing the aluminum to act as a sacrificial anode, though one study says the effect is minimal. Go to their website and let them know if you have had problems with your swim platform.

Some have had their platforms replaced by Baja, others are told it is past the one year warranty. Baja changed suppliers, so it might not be an issue with new boats.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phastenuf
I have a 2005 25OL and the powdercoating started bubbling after about a year, this past weekend while washing it, it started peeling off in large strips.

The teambajamarine.com website has a discussion thread in their dissatisfied customer section that has asked if others are having the same problem, and if there is a grounding wire connected to one of the mounting bolts on the inside. There is some speculation that the grounding is causing the aluminum to act as a sacrificial anode, though one study says the effect is minimal. Go to their website and let them know if you have had problems with your swim platform.

Some have had their platforms replaced by Baja, others are told it is past the one year warranty. Baja changed suppliers, so it might not be an issue with new boats.

I have an '06 33OL, just purchased this past April, and I have the dealer working on a replacement or re-coating. The paint has completely oxidized and faded to a gray-red. When PWMarina contacted Baja, they said the ground wire had no effect, but I beg to differ. I was informed by the company that used to do Baja's work for them that the ground wire is the cause of the oxidation and due to warranty issues they no longer do Baja's work. I have priced re-coating at several places, looks like $700 is the magic number, includes sandblasting all the old paint off, re-powder coating, and clear on top of that, replacing the grip tape is up to you and re-mounting to the boat. Baja wants pictures and seems to be un-willing at first to honor the warranty, not sure how faded paint will show up in a pic. I will keep you posted. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

I have the same thing happening on mine. I was thinking of just stripping it and spraying it rather than powdercoating.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:08 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

I started the TBM thread on this subject. My Illinois delivered July 2002 boat with 2003 hull number had the first signs of corrosion under the coating in 2005. The earth wire was connected, and the boat had had a very sheltered life up to then. Since I fitted the 525 in 2006 the earth wire was removed and the corrosion continues at the same rate. Now, the coating is flaking off, big time. Fresh water trailer boat!
Looking at the years of the boats affected, it would appear that both Bajaīs first, and their current supplier have the same problems with preparation and with porous coating.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
I started the TBM thread on this subject. My Illinois delivered July 2002 boat with 2003 hull number had the first signs of corrosion under the coating in 2005. The earth wire was connected, and the boat had had a very sheltered life up to then. Since I fitted the 525 in 2006 the earth wire was removed and the corrosion continues at the same rate. Now, the coating is flaking off, big time. Fresh water trailer boat!
Looking at the years of the boats affected, it would appear that both Bajaīs first, and their current supplier have the same problems with preparation and with porous coating.
Hmm, figures, I have 2 friends with yellow platforms and neither has any issues yet, mine is red, and appears to be 20yrs old, the way it has diteriated, Baja is replacing the platform, under warranty, I would rather they just compensate me to have it recoated locally. That does make sense though the the old company would say its the ground wire, sounds like proper prep isnt being done. Well, it isnt go stop me from having some fun this weekend. BE SAFE Everyone.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

I hadnīt thought of that one before, but maybe it can be narrowed down to particular colors.
Well thats two red ones, already ī02 and ī06!

Yeah, i didnīt notice any performance issues up to now, either!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I have a 06 30 OL and the paint on the lower support pieces is starting to fade badly. The top of the platform is ok. It is blue. The boat is kept inside when not in use and is a fresh water boat. Will be contacting the dealer. This is the first summer the boat has been in the water.
Jay
Old 09-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
I hadnīt thought of that one before, but maybe it can be narrowed down to particular colors.
Well thats two red ones, already ī02 and ī06!

Yeah, i didnīt notice any performance issues up to now, either!
Mine is red also.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Red is definitely a common factor here! Even if there are more red platforms than blue, purple, green or even yellow ones, it does seem like thereīs a pattern!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Kinda hard to tell in the sunlight, but the fading is bad and gettn worse. If you look close you will also tell where it was banged up and painted over, the dealer did that one, which makes gettn a new one easier.

Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems-swimplatform1.jpg Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems-swimplatform2.jpg

I did order a Yellow one

Quick Reply: Aluminum Swim Platform corrosion / powdercoating problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.