Poll 29OL v 292 Formula >

Poll 29OL v 292 Formula

Notices

Poll 29OL v 292 Formula

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll 29OL v 292 Formula

I put this same post in the Formula section. Whats the Baja guys opinion? I know the 292 only has the 377 small blocks. I am ok with 70 MPH. Throw that out the wildow. Who builds a better,"long lasting" boat?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Registered

I think the best thing for you to do is take a ride in both boats.I'm sure the Baja guys and Formula guys are going to tell you there brand is best. I love my 29OL, but I have not ridden in a 292. I do think Formula's are a very well build and have a great design. So go take some rides and have fun buying that new boat.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Not so ez here , I am on the west coast, and "real" offshore boats are far and few between. Ya sure there are alot of calif. customes around me, but they do not have a deep v and most have a delta pad.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same process a few months ago. Was leaning towards to Formula but ended up with the Baja. A few things I didn't like about the Formula or liked better about the Baja:

Formula has very little storage space, was worried about being able to fit all my crap in it. Formula is slow to plane with the small blocks. Formula has less freeboard than the Outlaw. Resale on the 292 appears to be pretty bad. Can't get K-planes on the 292, most of them don't even have indicators for the bennet tabs.

On the other hand the Formula is probably built a little better and will hold up better in the long run.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

Just read the Formula thread, I am still laughing, the Gentleman's boat.Ha, I had my pick when I was shopping this past spring, didnt care for the glass windshield or the integrated platform they offer, go ask them how they run in the rough stuff. They say no comparison, I really beg to differ.
It's going to boil down to what your looking for in a boat, but I love mine and haven't regreted the investment for a moment.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

I am looking for "Bullet Proof" I want to be able to drop it off a bridge and it wont break. I am really leaning to the Baja 29OL, but there is a great deal on a 08 292 with 0% financing, and I could trade my old boat there. I have to just be patient and get my Daytona sold then get a 02 or 03 29OL like I want.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Formula all the way. The quality of the workmanship on the two cannot be compared. I have owned a baja and you will find the fit n finish isnt that great. I think bajas are a dime a dozen now anyway.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

I just traded in my 29OL (you may have seen my threads. I felt it was bullit roof. Ran great. No problems. I would take it to the keys today. If the seas faired
Prices are kinda scattered. My opinion. Under a 2001 w 454/mag. %0-60k 2002-2004 with 496 mag about 60-70k. Add a few k for HO's. I was willing to let mine go for 72k with mag ho's.

You'll want the speed!!! Never say never. Trust me!!!! 496 are great relaible engines. If your boating in saltwater than Go for those.
Sorry no comments on the Formula. Really dont know about the 292.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

Very difficult to compare apples to oranges. The 29 Outlaw is an offshore and a bit of a want-a-be. Nice boat but not built or rigged anywhere near a Cig or Apache or any of the other real offshores she's fashioned after.

The Formula 292 is a family oriented preformance boat and unless optioned to the max is a bit of a want-abe as well.

Fact of the matter is simple. Buy what you like. But neither boat is worth a sack of poop without K-planes, full hydraulic steering, 3rd party performance exhaust and many of the other options that make a boat of that size considerably more expensive but noticably more seaworthy none-the-less.

I've owned both.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I agree with the above advice. Go drive both boats and decide which best suites your needs. Everyone has a different opion on what the perfect boat should be.

Personally I am not a fan of small blocks and I think Formula is built very well. Happy shopping.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 09-04-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Poll 29OL v 292 Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.