Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
New to Baja... questions >

New to Baja... questions

Like Tree0Likes

New to Baja... questions

Reply

Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Question New to Baja... questions

I'm looking to purchase a used 272/275 or even a 302
need to do some fact finding first.
I'm not rich so fuel cost is an issue.
If I got an older boat I would want a 454 mag or 502, these boats are fairly common and well priced with big blocks.
There are several newer 275's and 302's around with 6.2's

how does the 6.2 compare for performance and top speed with a 454mag/502 or 496 mag, in the same hull. I would want to go 65-70 mph if possilble

Same question on fuel, would it be better to get a newer boat with 6.2 single or twin, any significant fuel saving to justify the increased cost in purchase.

As well, how much truck do you need to tow a 302,
how much does it weight with a trailer.
I have a new Silverado 1500, with a 6.0l and 10,000 tow package, truck has about 400 crankshaft hp as it sits with performance mods and tuning, 4wheel discs, 14 bolt rear end, extra coolers yadayada,
I wouldn't tow more than 100 miles,
but it looks to me like a 302 would really need a 3/4 ton.

one more stupid ?, can you put full camper tops on an Outlaw, I'm on the ocean and sometimes need the protection

thanx in advance Dave

Last edited by NSBOATER; 09-26-2007 at 04:14 PM.
NSBOATER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
  #2
Registered
 
BURNSMAZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ann arbor mi
My Boat: 1998 BAJA 33 OUTLAW 13ft Whaler with a 40
Posts: 533
Default

Hell nobody is answering you,I'll give you my 2 bits.If you are going to buy a single engine,the minimum you would want is a 454 mag, preferably efi.If you want to have canvas the performance series boats are a better choice than the outlaws.As far as the 6.2's are concerned they would be a fine choice in the twin application in a 302 or 29 outlaw,any of the boats you are talking about would be in the 63-66 mph range.If you are concerned with fuel consumption I would stay with a single,that would also be a plus if you're towing with the 1500.Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by BURNSMAZZ; 09-27-2007 at 01:48 PM.
BURNSMAZZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
  #3
Charter Member #34
Charter Member
 
Dock Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beautiful North Carolina
Posts: 7,151
Default

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
I'm looking to purchase a used 272/275 or even a 302
need to do some fact finding first.
Allare very nice boats. e owned a 272 for two seasons and loved it. A good size to learn with that still rides well and has a lot of room.

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
I'm not rich so fuel cost is an issue.
If I got an older boat I would want a 454 mag or 502, these boats are fairly common and well priced with big blocks.
There are several newer 275's and 302's around with 6.2's
how does the 6.2 compare for performance and top speed with a 454mag/502 or 496 mag, in the same hull. I would want to go 65-70 mph if possilble
The 454 is a very good engine. I personally like the 502 Mag the best and would try to find that engine if possible. None of them are feul efficent engines and you can expect to see around 1.5 MPG out of them. The slower you cruise the better, once over 4000 RPM they really suck the fuel down.



Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
Same question on fuel, would it be better to get a newer boat with 6.2 single or twin, any significant fuel saving to justify the increased cost in purchase.
The engine will have to work harder and will probably end up buring as much fuel in the long run because you are running higher RPM's to do what a larger engine will do at lower RPM's.

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
As well, how much truck do you need to tow a 302,
how much does it weight with a trailer.
I have a new Silverado 1500, with a 6.0l and 10,000 tow package, truck has about 400 crankshaft hp as it sits with performance mods and tuning, 4wheel discs, 14 bolt rear end, extra coolers yadayada,
You do not need anything larger then a single engine boat if you don't plan to upgrade your truck to a 3/4 ton at least.

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
I wouldn't tow more than 100 miles,
but it looks to me like a 302 would really need a 3/4 ton.
YES

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
one more stupid ?, can you put full camper tops on an Outlaw, I'm on the ocean and sometimes need the protection
As mentioned above you would really need to stay with the performance series with the windshield if you planned on doing that.

Originally Posted by NSBOATER View Post
thanx in advance Dave
You are sure welcome. Remember that the only theing we can offer you is our opinion. Go and check them all out and drive them all and see what you like best.

Good luck to you
Dock Holiday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
My Boat: 2000 Baja Outlaw 33 Twin Merc 540 Bulldogs!
Posts: 88
Default

I have a 99 Baja Outlaw 29 with twin 454 Mags, Very nice Boat, I love it, as far as fuel comsumption..Ha it does drink gas, but I do have a heavy hand, but If i'm just cruising at around 3000 RPMS it does actually pretty good.

I personally Tow my boat with my 04 Escalade AWD..I've towed it all summer long and no issues what so ever...and I know the towing capacity I think is around 8500lbs on it...I know a 29 outlaw weighs 6800 without trailer so it should be under 10000 lbs so you would be able to pull it no probs with your truck...

Last edited by lbzmotofmx; 09-27-2007 at 02:40 PM.
lbzmotofmx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
  #5
Charter Member #34
Charter Member
 
Dock Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beautiful North Carolina
Posts: 7,151
Default

Originally Posted by lbzmotofmx View Post
I personally Tow my boat with my 04 Escalade AWD..I've towed it all summer long and no issues what so ever...and I know the towing capacity I think is around 8500lbs on it...I know a 29 outlaw weighs 6800 without trailer so it should be under 10000 lbs so you would be able to pull it no probs with your truck...

Nice rig.

You are well over the Caddy's capacity when you add fuel and gear not to mention extra passengers and gear in the truck itself.

The problem is not so much if it will tow it, but what will happen in a panic stop situation.

Take it slow and easy and be careful.

By the way the sign in the picture says no stopping no parking!
Dock Holiday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
My Boat: 2000 Baja Outlaw 33 Twin Merc 540 Bulldogs!
Posts: 88
Default

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday View Post
Nice rig.

You are well over the Caddy's capacity when you add fuel and gear not to mention extra passengers and gear in the truck itself.

The problem is not so much if it will tow it, but what will happen in a panic stop situation.

Take it slow and easy and be careful.

By the way the sign in the picture says no stopping no parking!
Yeah I know i'm over the caddy's capacity, but it does tow it very well, and the AWD yanks it right out of the water..pretty funny when you see everyone else spinnin their wheels tryin to get out with their 2wd's...and Yeah I'm usually pretty slow and take it easy with it....and that sign...well its stupid! hahaha
lbzmotofmx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:05 PM
  #7
Never Enuff
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cedar Creek, Texas
Posts: 764
Default

Your right--the sign is stupid--------but I'm the one behind you trying to get around you--give me a break
Jay
never enuff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
  #8
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chattanooga
My Boat: 37 Outerlimits Stiletto YPM Whippled 598's
Posts: 986
Default

Dave,

I have a 302 with HO's and have no problem pulling it with my Infinity QX56. The QX has one of the highest towing capacities before going to a 3/4 ton. (9,100 lbs) In fact, if your truck is not modified, it should only be around 8,100. I had an '04 Escalade before the QX and it would not get close to towing as well as my QX. All that aside, a good trailer with triple axle brakes makes all the difference in the world.

As for fuel consumption (with a 302) don't go HO's unless you can truly afford the fuel.
Attached Thumbnails New to Baja... questions-picture-099.jpg  
TCBoss302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
My Boat: 2000 Baja Outlaw 33 Twin Merc 540 Bulldogs!
Posts: 88
Default

either way It tows my boat fine. Better than my tahoe I had.
lbzmotofmx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
  #10
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boat: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

DOCS RIGHT go with the 272 if you want to be out of the wind and add a camper top. I myself like getting hit by bugs in the mouth while driving my OL THAT WAY ON LONG TRIPS I don't have to stop or slow down for snacks and if it rains I like the feel of rain drops hitting me at 60mph cruise it wakes you up. good luck I have owned my for 17yrs, I just make it faster every year so it feels like a new boat. art
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote

Quick Reply: New to Baja... questions


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser