Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB >

Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Notices

Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of hard to tell, but in the pics it looks like the sunny and the outlaw are about the same size. (with the swim platform on the outlaw included) Am I right or are the pictures misleading?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by live wire
All I can say without sounding to cocky is the 288 has exceeded my expectations in every category. I was a diehard Formula guy for many years and had set my bar pretty high.The fit and finish and level of detail on the Sunsations is in class by itself.As far as rough water I have run the boat a few times offshore as well as the in the sound in 3-4' and during the Glen cove poker run had a few 4-5'.I ran the boat hard all day and only had 1 or 2 times that I took a drink over the bow.I hear guys say that you cant run the MCOB in big water but if your taking mulitple waves over the bow you'll be taking them over the cowl and into the cockpit anyway so you got other things to worry about.I make it a practice to never have any one on the bow while running at high speeds it just not a safe place to be at 70+ mph.I have had 8 people (4 kids) on the boat and have had times when I was by myself in the cockpit while eveyone else was in the cabin or on the bow.The best use of the MCOB is while anchored and hanging out ,the entire boat is useful. All I can say is I HIGHLY reccomend it and the guys at Mahopac Marine are a pleasure to deal with .Good luck Kevin
how fast is your bot top apeed and what prop and rpm that a nice boat
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi
And for the handling in rought time ....my Sunny work very well ...with the 280 Kiekhaefer ...amazing
how fast is it???
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Registered

Default I have ridden in both

I can honestly say that the fit and finish on the Sunny and their loyal following and company support would sell me on the boat! I have a 2002 Baja Outlaw and if I could do it all over again, I would have gone with the Sunsation. I will say the Sunny is a better fit and finish, it is faster (but it seems narrower and lighter than my 25 and stepped so go figure!). It do not believe it rides any better in rough water (add the longer sleeker design and integrated swim platform compared to the Baja and we are talking very little difference). Either way, take care of them and they will take care of you. I bought my 2002 down in Stuart FL for 59k (back when the economy was strong-would buy used from this point forward!), I think I spend 90 plus percent of my time trailering or in no wake zones or sitting at a beach or island (something to consider).
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Registered

Default 24ft outlaw

Originally Posted by bimmerboy318
I know these boats don't really have much in common but these are what I've narrowed my search down to (so far). Both seem to have a good resale following in my area.

The 25OL because it's the largest OL I can get with a single engine. The 288 because it's just about the largest single engine boat I would consider buying. My wife loves the open bow even if unsafe at speeds.

How much better or worse do either boat handle? I probably won't be able to "test" a 288.

Is the 288 truly 28'8" of hull? I know the 25OL is 25'+ of hull.

Although the 25OL is faster with a 496HO... which will handle at speed better? Let's take 60mph... which boat will feel better in 2-3ft chop?

All input is welcome!
i have a 24ft outlaw sst w 502 mag oh wa supercharger, it rides really great in a 2 to 3 foot chop at
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Here is a similar thread that I posted my comparison in last year. I owned a 25 Outlaw previously and now own a 288 Sunsation.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...sunsation.html
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
i have a 24ft outlaw sst w 502 mag oh wa supercharger, it rides really great in a 2 to 3 foot chop at
How are you measuring your waves, I have yet to EVER see a 24/25 ft outlaw or a 272 that rides really great in a 3 foot chop, my 272 launches to the moon then packs your spine in the stuff. The other Baja's I have been out with and in (25 outlaw) was no better. I'm not trying to bust your balls but if your average height hold your hand about at your belt line and look down at the floor, that is about 3 foot on most people, that is pretty mean chop to be banging around in, Smitty
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

I think continuous 3 footers are a pain in the azzzzzz if you are boating them all day but I have had my 25 Outlaw now for 10 years and I can drive them pretty well (my passengers feel them more than me as I am driving and holding onto the wheel and throttle and can anticipate hitting them better than the people in the back seat who are looking to the side or blue skies)! I come back each your from the PCola air show and the water is like a washing machine between all the boats and the way the current flows and Escambia bay and my buddy in his 29 Baja Outlaw is amazed on how well I do as I am usually running around 45-50mph in them (I personally think it all depends if they are 3 footers and you have swells, now that'sr eally not fun like a larger lake or in the Gulf or Ocean for sure. Anything more than 3 footers and I would rather stay on the beach!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I agree 3 foot of shop and my 25 will beat you to death (as much as any other 25 or 27 foot boat). 3 foot chop is dang near over the side of the boat (most boats).

I think bang for the buck the outlaw has been a great little boat and would buy it again hands down. I dont think you can beat them for speed, price and looks. Try and keep your mind on having fun and enjoying what ever you get. Just my .02
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by live wire
All I can say without sounding to cocky is the 288 has exceeded my expectations in every category. I was a diehard Formula guy for many years and had set my bar pretty high.The fit and finish and level of detail on the Sunsations is in class by itself.As far as rough water I have run the boat a few times offshore as well as the in the sound in 3-4' and during the Glen cove poker run had a few 4-5'.I ran the boat hard all day and only had 1 or 2 times that I took a drink over the bow.I hear guys say that you cant run the MCOB in big water but if your taking mulitple waves over the bow you'll be taking them over the cowl and into the cockpit anyway so you got other things to worry about.I make it a practice to never have any one on the bow while running at high speeds it just not a safe place to be at 70+ mph.I have had 8 people (4 kids) on the boat and have had times when I was by myself in the cockpit while eveyone else was in the cabin or on the bow.The best use of the MCOB is while anchored and hanging out ,the entire boat is useful. All I can say is I HIGHLY reccomend it and the guys at Mahopac Marine are a pleasure to deal with .Good luck Kevin
how fast is it?? 700ponys????

Quick Reply: Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.