Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB >

Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Notices

Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

I know these boats don't really have much in common but these are what I've narrowed my search down to (so far). Both seem to have a good resale following in my area.

The 25OL because it's the largest OL I can get with a single engine. The 288 because it's just about the largest single engine boat I would consider buying. My wife loves the open bow even if unsafe at speeds.

How much better or worse do either boat handle? I probably won't be able to "test" a 288.

Is the 288 truly 28'8" of hull? I know the 25OL is 25'+ of hull.

Although the 25OL is faster with a 496HO... which will handle at speed better? Let's take 60mph... which boat will feel better in 2-3ft chop?

All input is welcome!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i have an 02 25ol and its been a great boat. i cant anwser for the ride in a 288 cause ive never been in one but as for as the baja 2-3 is nothing. when you start getting bigger it takes some driving. the 25 with a plateform is 26'4 overall. i dont believe the sunsation is a true 28. in my 25 with a 496ho little on fuel will run 70gps. from reading on here there is a guy with a new 288mcob (livewire) that is seeing like 74. im not a fan of open bow so i would go baja just for that point. i would not want to be up from at even 50 mph.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimmerboy318
I know these boats don't really have much in common but these are what I've narrowed my search down to (so far). Both seem to have a good resale following in my area.

The 25OL because it's the largest OL I can get with a single engine. The 288 because it's just about the largest single engine boat I would consider buying. My wife loves the open bow even if unsafe at speeds.

How much better or worse do either boat handle? I probably won't be able to "test" a 288.

Although the 25OL is faster with a 496HO... which will handle at speed better? Let's take 60mph... which boat will feel better in 2-3ft chop?

All input is welcome!

Wow - I am between two very similar boats. I like the 288 MCOB and the 26 OL. I think I am roughly a year out on making the move up. I am restricted as I rack store and I can't get too big at the marina's around here. 28's the most my marina can do.

I really like the MCOB format for the boating that I do - no over nighting. Seems that the Sunny is a bit more $$ but also seems to be a bit more boat (could be wrong here as I have never seen a 288 in person). Seems safe to assume that you can get the MAG in the Sunny and the HO in the Baja to acheive the same speeds. Which is a better "tie up" boat IMO is the best question for me. I want the speed plus the ability to take six or seven out with no problem.

Also, has anyone riden in the MCOB when traveling at slower speeds? How is it different from an open bow if they reccommend that one doens't ride up front when under speed.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

Yesrej,
All you have to do is ask for a ride Gotcha covered in the spring.
The 288 is actually 27'8". So not a true 28 but very close with that being the wet surface. The Sunsation 288 MCOB or Closed Bow will run low 70's on a stock 496 HO. We have sold a bunch of the MCOB's and people love them. Doing 60-70mph with people up front or the bow cover on is never an issue. It is actually a great ride up front when running.

Hey Steve, I just ordered your new Closed Bow 288 cause Erin said so.

Originally Posted by yesrej
i have an 02 25ol and its been a great boat. i cant anwser for the ride in a 288 cause ive never been in one but as for as the baja 2-3 is nothing. when you start getting bigger it takes some driving. the 25 with a plateform is 26'4 overall. i dont believe the sunsation is a true 28. in my 25 with a 496ho little on fuel will run 70gps. from reading on here there is a guy with a new 288mcob (livewire) that is seeing like 74. im not a fan of open bow so i would go baja just for that point. i would not want to be up from at even 50 mph.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fredefox
Open bow will be a real problem if you ever take water over the bow. From what I have read a closed bow will handle better than any open bow. Open bow creates a lot of wind turbulence at speed.

How is that different than an open bow or deck boat? DCB makes a 140 mph deck boat?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Also, has anyone riden in the MCOB when traveling at slower speeds? How is it different from an open bow if they reccommend that one doens't ride up front when under speed.
As most bow riders are different, the open bow on the Mid Cabin is relatively higher than most. The other great feature are the mini bolsters that Sunsation and McLeod have come up with. Here is a pic of our 288 SSR open bow
Attached Thumbnails Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB-gedc0170-small-.jpg   Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB-gedc0172-small-.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered

I would PM Livewire to give you a call. He has been out in some big water already.

LiveWire where are ya?

Originally Posted by bimmerboy318

All input is welcome!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine
Yesrej,
Doing 60-70mph with people up front or the bow cover on is never an issue. It is actually a great ride up front when running.
That makes sense. I have rode in my dad's 180 Islander at 55 and there seemed to be no problems.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by yesrej
i have an 02 25ol and its been a great boat. i cant anwser for the ride in a 288 cause ive never been in one but as for as the baja 2-3 is nothing.
Ok give me sometime to prepare my reply ....because i already have a 25 OL with Ho from `02 to `06 ( 600 hrs ) ..and i bought my 288 sunny end of `06 ..... ( 140 hrs so far ) .... two great boat , you have +/- on each side .... i comeback later with the list
Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine
Yesrej,
All you have to do is ask for a ride Gotcha covered in the spring.
The 288 is actually 27'8". So not a true 28 but very close with that being the wet surface. The Sunsation 288 MCOB or Closed Bow will run low 70's on a stock 496 HO. We have sold a bunch of the MCOB's and people love them. Doing 60-70mph with people up front or the bow cover on is never an issue. It is actually a great ride up front when running.

Hey Steve, I just ordered your new Closed Bow 288 cause Erin said so.
you bet your a$$ i want a ride and youi dont need to order anything, you have my boat there.
heres your choices.
1. we do an even trade for the 07 ss and i throw you a 12 pack.
2. you take my boat for trade on the ssr and i will keep you drunk for the entire summer.
really its a win win for everyone!!!

Quick Reply: Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.