Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Has anyone squared their transom? >

Has anyone squared their transom?

Notices

Has anyone squared their transom?

Old 03-27-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone squared their transom?

I have heard some speed can be gained if the radius where the bottom and transom meet is squared off. I know on racing hulls that edge is very square, but for ease of mold removal Baja puts a generous radius in the hull. Has anyone to square this off and is there a good shop that can perform this modification in SW Mich ?
Old 03-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

You are correct about this area being rounded to ease removal from the mold. Also - the area where the side meets the transom is really round. I have read that squaring this area can result in 2-3mph. I don't see the harm in squaring the area. There are many folks who ask about removing hook. This I would never do.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

On my boat that hook is way out of the water at speed. My bottom "running surface" is pretty straight, but there is that radius. I've heard Baja designed that hook into the hull to assist in planing and to control porpoise at crusing speeds. I once considered removing this hook, but photographs of the boat at speeds over about 65 show this hook is completely out of the water so I figured its I may as well leave it alone. Hopefully someone who has tried sharpening that radius will read this and let us know how it worked. I don't mind being a pioneer, but I still need to find someone local to do the work. I'm pretty picky and have no clue how to work with gel coat. In other words, I'll do more harm than good if I try it myself.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:37 PM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done on my H2X I dont think it helped much mybe it would work better on your boat than mine keep us posted. Eric
Old 03-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

I removed the hook, sharpened the strakes, and squared the transom from suggestions and help of my racer buddies on my small boat. It's a lightweight 18' modified vee bottom outboard though.
I don't think you'll see as dramatic results on the bigger heavier boats. I don't plan on doing any of that to my Baja.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A friend did his 240 and it took some of the bounce out and raised the bow. His 240 had a problem with the bow being too low.

I sharpened the rear edge on my 260 Powerquest and it raised the bow on it.