Anchor Locker >

Anchor Locker

Notices

Anchor Locker

Old 04-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anchor Locker

I have a 29' Outlaw with an anchor locker in the front of the bow. The problem is that the plastic latch always gives away in the rough stuff. I am consistently re-adjusting the metal latch, which almost never seems to work. Does anyone know of a good replacement latch, or something else that might work? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not yet had this problem with my 29 and unlike most Baja guys, I actually use my anchor locker for the anchor - works great following minor mods that I did.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Registered

29 Outlaw, what sort of minor modifications did you make? I also keep my anchor in the locker, but when we're in the rough stuff the locker opens in mid-air. One of these days that anchor is going to fly up, out, and right into my forehead!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:43 AM
29Fever

At least it wouldn't scratch your gel coat if it hit you in the head!

Old 04-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Old 04-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

Default mine flies open tooo....

Yup,, I'm expecting mine to either take out my windshield or my fore-head,, alteast if it hits me in the fore-head I wont need a new windshield...
Old 04-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

There has to be some metal latch replacement for our anchor lockers. I haven't been able to find any though.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid you were going to ask what I did…

In order to describe my modifications I first have to outline what I had to start with. My anchor locker, like most on Bajas, was just a pit in the deck to allow someone to store a “fluke” style anchor. The intention is to install the anchor “upside-down” with the top of the anchor shank pointed toward the ground. This was supposed to allow the “bar” that runs perpendicular to the shank, to rest on little rubber bumpers provided by the builder (the “bar” I refer to probably has a name but I don’t know what it is so I will refer to it as the “bar”). The problem with my locker as-is was that it was not deep enough. If I got an anchor that was big enough so that the bar would rest on the bumpers, the shank was too long for the locker.

So I had 2 choices. Make the locker deeper or make the bumpers taller. The former was not an option so I went with the latter. The only problem was that the bumpers would have to be made at least 2” taller. I ended up going to a Wal-Mart Pharmacy and buying some “crutch caps”. These are the rubber caps that go on the end of a crutch or a cane. They are about 3” high, quite ridged, and are hollow down the middle. I installed them on the port and starboard side of the locker in place of the piss-poor ½” high bumpers that were installed by the builder. I also got some slightly larger bumpers from a hardware store to replace the bumpers on the front and back of the locker. Using these crutch caps raised the anchor bar enough so that the shank does not hit the bottom of the locker. The bar is supported by the re-done bumper system and all is well.

When you say your locker opens without your consent, is it the result of the anchor bouncing up into it or does it just flap open by itself? I forget how heavy my anchor is, but I know I would have to hit major water for it to bounce skyward – I don’t see it happening in my application.