Merc 7.4   454 Headers >

Merc 7.4 454 Headers

Notices

Merc 7.4 454 Headers

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manifolds

Hey Mike...I give you a half an 'I told ya so'...lol...they dont just 'bolt right on'....lol...by the way...you own a Baja 342 yet? Kims wondering about bookin summer holidays???...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pryvti
Wow! Finally....someone who actually tried it...did it...done it..been there and got the dang pic!...Jamie..I really appreciate your reply! So ...now the next question...any benefits to puttin on the 496 manifolds vrs the original vrs a set from GLM?
Believe it or not but my 302 Baja will run 70mph with a set of stock 385hp 454's. Top speed to date is 71.3 on GPS...go figure...most people dont believe me..but I dont really care..hell I wouldnt believe it if I hadnt seen it myself!..lol So you can understand my doubt in 'messin' with my motors...if it aint broke dont fix it!...but my stock manifolds are startn to rot.

Thanks Again Jamie...
Gerry

There's a Hp gain to the 496 manifolds, but I have no idea how much (probably 15-20, where the aftermarket manifolds are 20-25). The choking point at the cast manifold system is where it collects and goes into the riser. On the 496 manifolds, with the stainless steel risers (all of the 496 risers are stainless) that opening is much bigger. I can send you pics if you'd like. I have 3 sets of manifolds + 1 extra manifold laying around, and 4 sets of risers + 1, and I have mounted them on multiple different 454-502 setups.

I've been told that they're very close to the IMCO Powerflow manifolds, and the pics seem to support it. There may be a slight Hp increase to the smaller aftermarket manifolds, but the 496 manifolds are a nice manifold. I wish Merc would discontinue their "stock" manifold and make them for all their motors.

The "adjustment" that you have to make to the manifold to get them to mount is so small that I would hardly call it a modification. I didn't even realize that the holes were off a smidge (if they even are), due to the fact that by the time you open them up to accept the Std. mounting bolts that the 454s and 502s take they fit right on.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pryvti
Hey Mike...I give you a half an 'I told ya so'...lol...they dont just 'bolt right on'....lol...by the way...you own a Baja 342 yet? Kims wondering about bookin summer holidays???...
We're working on it ......I have a fellow setting up an inspection hopefully by this weekend.....he lives near the boat and will let me know.....