Got a ride, Finally! >

Got a ride, Finally!

Notices

Got a ride, Finally!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ride, Finally!

Picking up a 05 242 Islander tomorrow. It has the 496 mag HO and a bravo X drive with hydraulic steering on it. Anything with this setup I should be aware of? what to do, what not to do?? what to watch out for?? etc etc

I would ask what my top speeds should be, but Im not sure of what the prop is or drive gears. Does anyone have suggestions as to what prop would be best for top end and what prop works best for pulling skiers and such?? I want to go fast most of the time, but if i bring alot of people out, its not a big deal to switch the prop before heading out.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Shoud run about 65 GPS speed. What prop you run depends on the x dim, a Mirage 23p would probably be the best for speed.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

looked at the drive gears, its 1.50 ratio and the prop is a 26P merc prop. I'll find out today what the top speed is
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

The prop is way too big, you will probably only spool it up to 4300 RPM. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

I ran it yesterday, the speedo says 70 and I dont remember the RPMs, but it was really windy and choppy so I doubt thats right...were going again tomorrow, im taking the GPS and will get better numbers.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered

I would try a 4 blade bravo 1 probably 24 pitch.

I had a 2006 with the 496 Mag. spinning a 23P Mirage Plus. I found the boat to be very squirrely at WOT. Had to drop drive trim or tabs to calm it down...ultimately slowing it down.

With the Bravo 1 22p on it, I could run at wide open with the tabs up and trim where i felt it was best. The speed was the same for the two props. However, at cruising I picked up 2mph at the same rpm and could run more trim with porpoising. Holeshot was also better with more people in the boat with the bravo 1 vs the mirage plus.

I saw straight up 60 on dream o meter with 22p Bravo 1. The 23p Mirage plus was like 62 but that was a hand full and I never looked down much as i was trying to concentrate on driving it and calming it down at that point.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

You won't be happy with a 3 blade prop..stick with the 4 blade..much better control, not to mention better for pulling skiers & tubers...you really need to get your rpm numbers..if they are mid 4's..then a simple lab job may get you right in your wheelhouse.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatntrkr
I ran it yesterday, the speedo says 70 and I dont remember the RPMs, but it was really windy and choppy so I doubt thats right...were going again tomorrow, im taking the GPS and will get better numbers.
Get a GPS, the "Dream O Meter's" all read fast most are off 4-5 MPH. I am sure you are overproped, be sure you check the tach next time. The 3 blades are faster with drives that are deeper in the water, a little prop work can help the handeling. The 4 blade will plane off quicker but slower.

Last edited by jeffswav; 05-03-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

65 mph on GPS at 5100 RPMs.....If i trim it up a little (barely to the 1/4 trim mark on the gauge) it starts to bounce up and down and sometimes side to side. when it started doing that I just backed out of it..

It seems to be happy cruising at about 3500 or 3600 and 40mph.

ok, so i appoligize..idiot moment....it has a 23P mirage plus on it now...I just glanced at it before and thought it said 26P....sorry everyone.

Last edited by boatntrkr; 05-04-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcourson
I would try a 4 blade bravo 1 probably 24 pitch.

I had a 2006 with the 496 Mag. spinning a 23P Mirage Plus. I found the boat to be very squirrely at WOT. Had to drop drive trim or tabs to calm it down...ultimately slowing it down.

With the Bravo 1 22p on it, I could run at wide open with the tabs up and trim where i felt it was best. The speed was the same for the two props. However, at cruising I picked up 2mph at the same rpm and could run more trim with porpoising. Holeshot was also better with more people in the boat with the bravo 1 vs the mirage plus.

I saw straight up 60 on dream o meter with 22p Bravo 1. The 23p Mirage plus was like 62 but that was a hand full and I never looked down much as i was trying to concentrate on driving it and calming it down at that point.
sounds like what mine is doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.