Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
454 Mag water intake issue................ >

454 Mag water intake issue................

Notices

454 Mag water intake issue................

Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a new housing and impeller, going home in a few to install, after that im gonna disconnect the hose off transom that feeds the sea water pump and fill that up before i turn the motor over. Hopefully after that the issue will be solved. Im being told these drive really are a bit tricky to prime in the beginning of the season after they are completely drained for winterisation.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckedbikes
Just got a new housing and impeller, going home in a few to install, after that im gonna disconnect the hose off transom that feeds the sea water pump and fill that up before i turn the motor over. Hopefully after that the issue will be solved. Im being told these drive really are a bit tricky to prime in the beginning of the season after they are completely drained for winterisation.
Just go buy a set of muffs & don't go through all that extra hassle. You're asking for trouble using a trash can for a water basin.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

Everything installed and now water pumps right to the motor BUT, now i have a new issue............... fuel cooler is leaking. WTF anyone have a fuel cooler?? How hard of a job is it to replace it?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

did you backflush the cooling system like Jason stated earlier? to me it sounds like you have debris in your water line from an old impellar that someone lost and didnt bother to flush the pieces back out of the system before replacing.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Old imPeller wasn't broken just scored up ,issue I'm having IS a cracked fuel cooler housing and it leaking water. How bad are they to replace? I can't find one on eBay where would I look for one?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

I replaced the fuel cooler stuff and pump 2 years ago,,, other then the location its a easy swap. but the location SUCKS.

be carefull on the fuel line feeding it comeing fromt he fuel filter as its under a little bit of an angle in a tight space. and if you cross thread/strip the fitting the hose thats <2 foot long is 120 bucks..... had a buddy with little ares finishing up the tight areas and ****ed it up for me...... not happy. but what do you do.

I have a simalar problem, boat runs fint in the water, but once i try to run it on the hose with the low water pick up muff thing it does not get water. thinking the pumo houseing is scored up from sucking a bunch of sand in it once. celaned it out and does fine in water but hose does not have enought sucktion to work.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Mittens....... are you working on a twin motor setup or single? My fuel pump cooler is barried not a good spot at all, id rather pay someone lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
The fuel cooler is located under the engine on the right-hand side inside a plastic box and will have an electrical connection to it. The fuel pump is housed there as well.
It takes a 1/2 or 9/16 socket to remove the 2 mounting plate nuts on either side of the motor mount post.
Once you have that off you can remove the 1.25" hoses and pick out the impeller pieces or debris that will have collected there.
Didn't we just go over this?
I don't think you can buy the setup as it currently exists on your boat. There is an update/new part number for it. 2nd link, item #3.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulle...2004/EN_05.PDF
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ND+FUEL+COOLER
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Didn't we just go over this?
I don't think you can buy the setup as it currently exists on your boat. There is an update/new part number for it. 2nd link, item #3.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulle...2004/EN_05.PDF
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ND+FUEL+COOLER
I know where its located, i was asking how bad of a job it was because it looks like nightmare to get to.
BTW thank you for your help, i greately appreciate it.

Im hearing diff things from diff ppl, some say u need to pull the motor to do it (yep u read it right), some say its a couple of hours job. Id actually like to know from someone who has done it, not someone who knows a guy who knows a guy
Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

I just pulled mine took about 10 minutes. You'll need to take the upper part of the back seat out. It may or may not have bolts in the bottom and sides. Mine had bolts (2) in the bottom and 2 screws in the sides way up high.
Once you get them out you'll need to pry up on the seat to break it loose. It does come out pretty easy once the bond is broken. It is not glued down or anything, just gets stuck down over time.
Look at #29 in the 2nd link. It is the nut for the bracket holding the cooler & pump in place. Take those 2 nuts off and the bracket will be free from the motor. Once that is done you can disassemble what you need to right there to get it free and then take it out the rest of the way.
It's not a "hard" job, just not really a movement friendly location.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.