38 Special, top speeds achieved

Notices

38 Special, top speeds achieved

Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whodathought38SS
Kelly,
Are your stand off boxes raised or neutral? Just tring to understand some implied speed gains since I think you are running the same speeds at aprox 200-250hp less. Wondering if there is any good perfomance to be had from some shortie lowers or are boxes needed to see some gain.
To be honest, I don't know.
I should call Dave at XT and see if he remembers from when they rigged it.
Judging by eyesight it looks like my props are topped near the surface with drives height at a medium number
In this pic at speed she looks to almost be surfacing the props way behind the swim platform.
I'd guess that with my speeds and power they're probably a little higher than a stock 38 Special
I also don't have a problem carrying the bow when I raise drive height and I do feel and see the difference in speed and ride coming up to max, I've never gone beyond the indicator as you mentioned.
I'm sincerely hoping that if I do make a move towards noticably more torque and HP that she'll respond with more top end and higher cruising speeds.
I'd love to push 80 plus or minus, I read a thread here back while boat searching about an early 90's (no step) Fountain 38SC that hit 84 with more power. However I'm not going to hold my breath on it happening because I believe my beam is either 9" or 12" wider and have more water contact friction. I just pray she doesn't get much louder than now. Except for blower whine it's shocking how quiet she runs at higher rpms. My exhaust was custom from the factory and the general thought from the members was it assisted performance and sound control. I think there are some pic's of them in the link a page or two back.

Originally Posted by Wilks
sell it and get a Donzi 38 ZX. Same size boat with same amenities and will run 80+ with 575 a side.
that is what I did with my 38 special.
I'd love a 38 by Donzi or some other higher 38' hull speed boats by mfg's such as Hustler, Scarab etc.
The problem, as always, was purchase price. My cash budget wouldn't buy a lot of boat even during the recession. I was limited to early to mid 90's by more affordable boat Mfg's. I came down to a Fountain 38SC w/502's and mine. At very close purchase price I took the Baja due to it's factory Baja Marine history and the additional power and drive modification with extensions.
Plus, I just thought the Fountain 38Sport Cruiser wasn't as pretty overall. She had a weird looking deck above the salon
Congrats on your boat, I'm certain it's an awesome ride for sure.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

for what the 38 special is worth and the cost of getting the extra mph you can get a 38 Donzi. There are some great deals on them if you search around.
http://www.texasbestrv.com/2002_DONZ..._187524011.veh
Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wilks - I think we can all agree the 38ZX is a superior hull to the 38 Special and the link you provided is a beautiful example. Difference is, I have less than half of what they are asking for the ZX in my 38 Special with fresh power.
Kelly - Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jamontes
Wilks - I think we can all agree the 38ZX is a superior hull to the 38 Special and the link you provided is a beautiful example. Difference is, I have less than half of what they are asking for the ZX in my 38 Special with fresh power.
Kelly - Thanks for the feedback!
I'd say for certain that just about any go fast builder out there has a faster 38' hull than the 38Special.
And not many probably realize just how affordably we bought.
There were some great deals to be had 3 or 4 years ago when things were tanking on boat resales.
I'm forced to work with my keeper as I sometimes call her.
What I really love is the spaciousness aboard.
Congrats on your boat and your number is respectable. If I was you I wouldn't pony up the coin for boxes or even even a shorty. Simply enjoy what you have LOL!!!
Funny thing is I'm now contemplating a smaller boat 24-28' which will be easier to handle alone as a 2nd to put an engine in for more speed.
I'd like to find one on the cheap with no power.
If anybody knows of a unit in the near Texas or Gulf Coast area west of the panhandle of Florida is let me know.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I've never heard of one going over 80

They have a high center of gravity, I know we were
on it's side a couple of times (in my friends boat) when it
fell off the pad ( not a real fun feeling) at 70+

I wouldnt waste the money trying to make it do something
that it isnt going to be able to do very well.
I think ASH got his over 80 but that was behind the Kenworth when he was late to the lake one friday.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:17 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

That whale of a boat ran suprising well for the power put in it.

Was a wave crusher, and yes, we got the nose under water once.

No, the last owner wasn't hard on the boat....just the drives. He liked the acceleration and thus mashing the sticks. That boat never got out of the water....I'm not sure it's possible to do that unless on the Great Lakes or the Ocean in huge seas.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by von bongo
i think ash got his over 80 but that was behind the kenworth when he was late to the lake one friday.
lmao
Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
That whale of a boat ran suprising well for the power put in it.

Was a wave crusher, and yes, we got the nose under water once.

No, the last owner wasn't hard on the boat....just the drives. He liked the acceleration and thus mashing the sticks. That boat never got out of the water....I'm not sure it's possible to do that unless on the Great Lakes or the Ocean in huge seas.
And your absolutely correct, for a big old barge like this she throws up a respectable number.
When I say "Rode hard" I really don't mean abused but rather more like you were describing.
Flooring it!!! while out and about.
Trust me, I've always rode my machines hard, my girl included like your buddy did too

See ya,
Kelly