Notices

Boxes

Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Very cool stuff, have not seen that before. I bet its not cheap.
I think as far as cost goes, if you bought a box and steering seperate, the price would be similar. I have ITS on my boat. I bought it used so I'm not positive of the original cost.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev limiter

Rev limiters are a safty for the motor.... they are a great thing to have, UNLESS its a fuel cut and you are boosted haha.

Are saying that if your engine is boosted rev limiters are no good? I have a procharger on my 502, I know that if your fuel pump breaks you can blow your engine becasue if you run out of gas you can over heat an engine witht he procharger and blow the engine, The original owner put a second fuel pump on it, incase the one built on to the engine fails. so the boat runs with 2 fuel pumps at all times
Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Registered

Default thanks for the site

Originally Posted by Dave M
Take a look at Merc's ITS (Intergrated Transom System) it has 7" of setback and steering built in. Kill two birds with one stone. I saw some used ones in the classifieds not too long ago.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/accesso...nsomsystem.php

I checked it out alittle. It look like a great set up. I have to really go thru it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Default the system

Originally Posted by Dave M
I think as far as cost goes, if you bought a box and steering seperate, the price would be similar. I have ITS on my boat. I bought it used so I'm not positive of the original cost.

How do you like the system?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
How do you like the system?
I like it....the steering is great, and it cleans up the transom. The less holes you have to drill in your transom, the better off you are.

As far as the performance of the box, that's hard to say. I seem to be running around the same speeds as the same hull / power without a box. The boat runs good in rough or flat water so I'm happy.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
Are saying that if your engine is boosted rev limiters are no good? I have a procharger on my 502, I know that if your fuel pump breaks you can blow your engine becasue if you run out of gas you can over heat an engine witht he procharger and blow the engine, The original owner put a second fuel pump on it, incase the one built on to the engine fails. so the boat runs with 2 fuel pumps at all times
Yes, on the 502 mag, the rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark/timing cut. it will lean out a motor with a quickness...

but we are talking about the STOCK rev limiter. if you have a MSD ignition rev limiter thats differnt.

Last edited by mittens; 01-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

ive got a imco box and raised x-dimension on my 24 with dual sterreing coming off the box and about 700 hp from a whippled 496 the boat performs awesome but ive never had the boat in very rough water
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with redundant anything where they both run at the same time and the engine will run the same on only one is that You won't know that one is dead untill they both are.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Registered

Yes, on the 502 mag, the rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark/timing cut. it will lean out a motor with a quickness...

but we are talking about the STOCK rev limiter. if you have a MSD ignition rev limiter thats differnt.

Since i have a procharger on the boat, I will be definitly going with the msd box, as back up incase I leave the water with the boat. The boat came with the procharger, but the owner couldn't get the timing with the rev limiter so he never put it on. But since you said it is a fuel cut then the engine would still blow up. So I guess it happened for a reason. So now I know to get a msd box instead of a rev limiter. If I get a msd box , I shouldn't need a rev limiter correct? Becasue it won't help in my situation.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baditude
ive got a imco box and raised x-dimension on my 24 with dual sterreing coming off the box and about 700 hp from a whippled 496 the boat performs awesome but ive never had the boat in very rough water
My 24 ft has a 24 degree dead rise so it rides good in rough water, i am very happy with the performance. Lake erie is usually on the rough side. So I need all the help I can get with that lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.