Myco Trailer with Drive Guards - Should I keep >

Myco Trailer with Drive Guards - Should I keep

Notices

Myco Trailer with Drive Guards - Should I keep

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'd be hard pressed to give up a Myco now after owning one. Granted, I don't have drive guard.

Given that you have a straight bottom boat, I would not worry about launching and boat height. If you had a step bottom, that would be a very different story.
X2
Best trailer I ever had was a Myco.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just cut it off and relocate the lights?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just modify the guard for garage usage, and engineer it so that it can be pinned/bolted on once you're out of the garage, if you want to retain it at all. A few touch ups and you're ready to go.

I wouldn't sell a trailer for this reason alone, when a bit of ingenuity will get you what you want/need! Post some pics up and we'll give some ideas.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi folks. Did anyone end up removing a drive guard? I have a painted steel myco with a drive guard under my twin step gun. Thinking about removing the drive guard to fit in the garage. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Friend of mine had same issue with garage. He was able to cut the drive guard down so that it was shorter in length. ...but he still has it in case of an accident.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Hi folks. Did anyone end up removing a drive guard? I have a painted steel myco with a drive guard under my twin step gun. Thinking about removing the drive guard to fit in the garage. Thanks!
What does the back of your garage look like?
Can you make a little 'bump out', 'dog house', or enclosed lean-to off the back of the garage to give you the clearance you need?

Also, look at the other end of the trailer. Is there anything you can do to shorten the tongue of the trailer? Going from surge brakes to EoH brakes, just removing the actuator can sometimes save a foot of trailer length. How is your tongue weight? Do you have room to slide forward a bit and shorten the drive guard?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What does the back of your garage look like?
Can you make a little 'bump out', 'dog house', or enclosed lean-to off the back of the garage to give you the clearance you need?

Also, look at the other end of the trailer. Is there anything you can do to shorten the tongue of the trailer? Going from surge brakes to EoH brakes, just removing the actuator can sometimes save a foot of travel length. How is your tongue weight? Do you have room to slide forward a bit and shorten the drive guard?

The garage isn't built yet. It's in the planning stage. I'm limited to 36 x 48 garage. From stem to stern (trailer) is around 45 feet. The actually interior garage length will be about 47. It's close. I think it will work as is, but it's going to be tight. I'm really not a fan of the drive guards. I would never get one, it just came with it. PITA.

Next thing I'll be looking for is a boat trailer dolly. Going to start a thread looking for the best option for the money.

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
The garage isn't built yet. It's in the planning stage. I'm limited to 36 x 48 garage. From stem to stern (trailer) is around 45 feet. The actually interior garage length will be about 47. It's close. I think it will work as is, but it's going to be tight. I'm really not a fan of the drive guards. I would never get one, it just came with it. PITA.

Next thing I'll be looking for is a boat trailer dolly. Going to start a thread looking for the best option for the money.

Thanks for the input!
You could always modify the aft of the trailer so that you don't have to mess with the gate. Either remove the gate and mount the lights to the end of the frame rails, or have the gate modified so that it sits under the lowest plane of drives. Yes, less protection, but still something especially for lower/smaller vehicles like min-vans and small commuter cars which tend to have more inattentive drivers.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

keep the cage.... bigger garage

Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 30outlaw
keep the cage.... bigger garage

36 x 48 is the max I can go on my property. If I could go bigger I would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.