Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Winterizing a 342? >

Winterizing a 342?

Notices

Winterizing a 342?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my though was fill teh sea cock, and then have hose connected to bucket and bottom of boat. and when you start turning it over it will get the water from the sea cock pretty quick, and sucking anti freeze shortly after. may try and use a bilge pump to force water to the bottom of the boat part.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered

well I got the genny done. I tried a beer funnel going into the sea strainer, and filling it ans i started genny and this does not work.

pulled the hose off sea strainer and filled with funnel and kept it full, and that worked.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Dont you run your boat during December & January?

When I lived in Atlanta we boated on nice weekends in December and January frequently. Winterize the genny and turn the petcock off. The 496's take 10 minutes to winterize. Get a cigarette lighter air pump, run the boat and pump them down after each use and you'll be fine. We kept our boat on the lift on Lake Lanier for 7 years and ran it Dec, Jan, Feb every year on nice days.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Yes we do randomly have nice days. and will shut the petcocks if i decide to take it out. but we have other boats in wet slips if need be so its probably will chill out until march.

when i pump up the air onthe 496s only one green indicator comes out. I have tried draining the pumps, and got water to come out of both motors, but only at the 2 blue wing nuts on the upper and lower side of the raw water pump....
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Yes we do randomly have nice days. and will shut the petcocks if i decide to take it out. but we have other boats in wet slips if need be so its probably will chill out until march.

when i pump up the air onthe 496s only one green indicator comes out. I have tried draining the pumps, and got water to come out of both motors, but only at the 2 blue wing nuts on the upper and lower side of the raw water pump....

Are you pumping it with the little blue pump?

Do yourself a favor and get a cigarette lighter electric tire pump/inflator for $19 at Walmart. It makes this job 1000 times easier.

Depending on where you keep it, while I was in Atlanta, I used 3 ceramic aquarium heaters clamped on each side and the middle against the exhaust manifolds. Put it on a lamp timer and it will keep your blocks toasty...
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

My boat has an auto bilge heater, plug boat up, and it never drops below 40 most of the time, have seen 38 on really cold night.

I have a remote thermometer in there so I can see the highs and lows.

But would like to make it where I can move it away from the house with no power
Old 06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch clicking on the link in the above post first time poster that just registered today could be a virus not saying it is but becareful dont worry about it must have been a scam as it is now deleted this post was not about mittens post

Last edited by Ebay Ed; 06-04-2013 at 08:47 PM.