Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
My new(ish) 88 force 265 >

My new(ish) 88 force 265

Notices

My new(ish) 88 force 265

Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K guys got a tech question here. today i took her out again (theres a few questions in this) and while about half throttle while turning the boat hesitated and sputtered so i thought maybe lake of gas then headed to the docks and she was fine even at full throttle then all of a sudden it surged again, so get it back to the dock once we got it out of the water i tried adjusting the outdrive trim (port side) and it was going SLOW up/down then it just stoped moving.. waited a few secs hit the switch again same time slow then stopped. got it home checked the fluid and the port side fluid is like an egg nog color(prob water in it?) and the star side is black.(normal?) the relay clicks for the trim but barley moves.. ideas? is this another switch issue/hydro fluid/motor? thanks guys
Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Force265
K guys got a tech question here. today i took her out again (theres a few questions in this) and while about half throttle while turning the boat hesitated and sputtered so i thought maybe lake of gas then headed to the docks and she was fine even at full throttle then all of a sudden it surged again, so get it back to the dock once we got it out of the water i tried adjusting the outdrive trim (port side) and it was going SLOW up/down then it just stoped moving.. waited a few secs hit the switch again same time slow then stopped. got it home checked the fluid and the port side fluid is like an egg nog color(prob water in it?) and the star side is black.(normal?) the relay clicks for the trim but barley moves.. ideas? is this another switch issue/hydro fluid/motor? thanks guys
i would say you have a seal in 1 of the trim cylinders leaking.. thats causing the milky oil in the resevoir.. Sounds like you have a possible bad battery causing the slow trim with the drive or maybe a ground issue!!! As far as the sputtering issue possibly some water in the gas or water getting past the seperater filter..
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I would also look at grounding for sputtering too...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1
i would say you have a seal in 1 of the trim cylinders leaking.. thats causing the milky oil in the resevoir.. Sounds like you have a possible bad battery causing the slow trim with the drive or maybe a ground issue!!! As far as the sputtering issue possibly some water in the gas or water getting past the seperater filter..
How/what do you check the cylinders to find out what seal is bad?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

How/what do you check the cylinders to find out what seal is bad?
good question.. I'm not sure how to check which one is the leaky one I would just have both rebuilt and be done with it.. If one is leaking now chances are the other one will start sooner than later..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

What kinda of hydroloc fluid should i replace the tilt with
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What kinda of hydroloc fluid should i replace the tilt with
ATF should work fine. PS fluid would also work.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
I would also look at grounding for sputtering too...
I know you said you had some wiring issues with your old force any tips on where to start with the grounding issue?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I know you said you had some wiring issues with your old force any tips on where to start with the grounding issue?
You may as well rewire whole boat, the wiring is a MESS.....

I ran all new positive and negative locations, added screw terminal strips front and back and made SURE everything had a new and good ground, completely redid switch panel and all that gauges .... the stock wiring was insane mess...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
You may as well rewire whole boat, the wiring is a MESS.....

I ran all new positive and negative locations, added screw terminal strips front and back and made SURE everything had a new and good ground, completely redid switch panel and all that gauges .... the stock wiring was insane mess...
Ditto!!!