Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
24 outlaw out of control >

24 outlaw out of control

Notices

24 outlaw out of control

Old 07-17-2002, 06:18 AM
DOCTOR DAVE

Default 24 outlaw out of control

maybe some of you baja owners can help me out here.
i recently built a 650hp 556ci engine for a guy and after tring to dial it in, the handling of the boat goes from bad to deadly after 70 mph, i did have the balls to go 80 with it but i was in gods hands. here is a a couple of things i noticed, with a mirage 3 blade prop, it was very slow to get on plane once up and running the boat porpised very bad with out any trim and then with more speed, started chine walking, changed to a bravo one and saw a big difference getting on plane and boat ran flatter in water but then again the dreaded chine walk starts about 60 mph.
now i know the drive is mounted very low on these boats, and my guess needs a shorter lower unit. the boat acually runs out of the water with speed and trim tabs are usless with any high speed. any experience shared would be helpful on this 24 outlaw
dave

Old 07-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could help you. One thing for sure...that is a lot of MOTOR for that size of boat. Be careful.

I have a friend who knows someone with a 25' Outlaw and it will run high 90's. Blower motor w/nitrious. I'll see what I can find out for you. If I find any info. for you, I'll post it. May take some time to get it though.

One thing I do know about this boat, is that, the outdrive does have a nose cone on it. Would that help with the stability at that high of speed? (I'm still learning this stuff myself)

You may want to post this question in the Technical Q & A area.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Doc,

Check out this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=28576

There's another 90+mph 24 outlaw, they might be able to give you some pointers....That is an awful lot of horsepower in that size boat, though.

Take Care!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

Arrow

I have a 24 Outlaw with just over 600hp. I went to a full hydraulic steering after the chine walk became evident that it was fast approaching dangerous (that and I got tired of being beat up by the girlfriend every time the boat started to walk). Steering helped, but seat time is what's needed. I was told you definitely have to drive at that power level (anticipate the chine walk and make small, opposite steering inputs/corrections to keep boat stable). If you try a shorter drive, keep us posted as to the results.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

both my buddies have 24 outlaws with BIG hp. i rode on both of them this past weekend....one @ 90 mph, and one closer to 95 mph.

They are both equiped with K-planes and full, dual ram hydraulic steering. i wasn't running either boat, so i'm not sure what the positioning of the tabs and drive trim were. But niether chine walked too bad. Of course there was a little above 80, but nothing that scared me. I did notice them both "working" the steering wheel back and forth. So maybe the dual full hydraulic steering keeps the boat straight (if they didn't have that i could only imagine how they would have to "work" the steering wheel).

But on both boats, at 70 mph it felt very stable.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Allan4

The 3 blade mirage is about 80% of your problem. I dropped a 520 horse motor in my 98 24 Outlaw this winter and saw better speeds (74 gps vs 71 gps) and a 1,000 times better "attitude" of the boat with a Rev 4 23p (5200 rpm)than I did with the 23p Mirage plus. With all that hp you have to be over 600 ft/lbs/tq, so make the motor grunt with a Rev 4. I have about 575 on the tq and have enjoyed just a little chine walking, nothing a little flick of the wheel or quick press to the tabs/trim won't fix. With the three blade that thing was a handful over about 63 or 64 mph. this has all been done with absolutely no hydraulics what so ever on the steering. Stupid, yes, becasue I almost broke a steering cable, so the new hydraulic parts are supposed to arrive today. That will also help. So with the rev 4 and the new steering I will probably eliminate about 90% of the walking. As mentioned above, seat time is key.

By the way, a 22p Bravo walked alot as well. Porpoise was really bad with the old motor, but now I get just a little in the high fifties if all trimmed and tabbed out. Again, just need to know the boat. My labbed prop should get me to 76-77 gps, but with guys hitting 80's and even 90's in these boats, a few small changes should be all you need to dial it in to get a relatively decent attitude. Good luck, be careful and feel free to ask all you want, all this time and money I have spent may as well go towards helping someone else out.....

Oh yeah, the 25 Outlaw is a completely different beast than the 24. 24 design is a 1980's design, 25 is the new design. My .02 A4

Old 07-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Ohhhh.....

forgot to mention....Both of the 24 Outlaws are running 4 blade Bravo props. One has a 30p on an XR drive, and the other has a 32 pitch on a Bmax drive.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts

GREAT! The Mirage 3 blade 23 pitch is just what I have!
Though I knew it wasn't going to work
So this is what I'm going to be looking forward too hmmmm? considering I'm getting ready to throw 650HP at my boat too. Oh well we'll see.......

By the way, is that motor you put in blown?? Stock drive?? You say you hit 80, was there more in the stick or was that WOT??

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I correct that the boat is a pad bottom?? It sounds to me like it is riding on the prop not on the pad. My old glastron did the same thing. Raised the X and the handling problems went away. Try the 2 or maybe even 3 inch shorter drive and I would think it would drastically help the chine walk problem. The porpose problem may get slightly worse though. I just put 2 inch shorter drives on my boat ( no comparison ) and it now porposes slightly where it never did it before ( tabs solve the problem-- or trim down ) But the handling improved a lot. With that size boat I would go as high as You could and still get on plane with the 4 blade prop. Unless you plan on pulling skiers.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinkerboater, does IMCO now make a 3 inch shorter drive? I am running a 2" short IMCO and would love to try a shorter one if it were available. The short shaft drive on my Baja along with full hydraulic steering made a huge improvement in its handling at speed. You still have to drive the boat and that will take some seat time to master. I am sure there are plenty of guys on the board that have tried the short drive on the 24 Outlaw that can let you know how it worked. On my 210 Sport it is a great improvement.

Quick Reply: 24 outlaw out of control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.