Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Carb vs fuel injection? >

Carb vs fuel injection?

Notices

Carb vs fuel injection?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Carbed Blown 540's. First startup after not being ran for weeks, 55 degree weather. Late october, with cold lake water. Engines didnt stall one time idling around, or hiccup. idle in gear like a dream..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FTRhpGzRwY[/youtube]
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

EFI hands down. I've ran lots of carbed and EFI engines over the years. The only reason to go carb over efi is that its cheaper. EFI is infinitely more tunable than a carb. Especially if its setup to control ignition and fuel. Nowadays, buying anything with a carb would be a hard sell for me. Especially if someone ripped out a perfectly good EFI system to put a carb setup in it , I wouldn't touch it. Lord knows what other hack job they did on it.

Bottom line: you gotta pay to play with EFI
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,312 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Mild

Its true that cig idles pretty damn nice for a carb. ..now if it had bravos and needed to idle closer to 800 rpm that might be a different story, a story I fortunately wont have to worry about.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses,
I am still not sure what direction I'm going in yet.
I do agree that efi is nice turn the key and go. I also agree that a carb motor is easier and cheaper to make horsepower modifications. Most of the guys I run with are running carbs and they never have problems. If the boat doesn't sell then I know that I want to get some more power out of it. Even though my intake is ported on my efi setup, I was told that with out putting a blower on it I'm about maxxed out what it will make for NA power. (Not sure if this is true or not). I am not crazy about doing a blower especially if I plan to sell the boat.

Maby it's just me but if there was 2 identical boats for sale, one with a 502 mpi and the other with a hp500, I would go for the carb hp500.
I am not saying that by putting a carb on my motor is going to make it a hp500 nor would I sell it saying it was a hp500 but the end result would be similar.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Registered

I wouild take a factory EFI 502 over a hoped up version as a buyer.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaboy217
I do agree that efi is nice turn the key and go. I also agree that a carb motor is easier and cheaper to make horsepower modifications. Most of the guys I run with are running carbs and they never have problems. If the boat doesn't sell then I know that I want to get some more power out of it. Even though my intake is ported on my efi setup, I was told that with out putting a blower on it I'm about maxxed out what it will make for NA power. (Not sure if this is true or not). I am not crazy about doing a blower especially if I plan to sell the boat.

Maby it's just me but if there was 2 identical boats for sale, one with a 502 mpi and the other with a hp500, I would go for the carb hp500.
I am not saying that by putting a carb on my motor is going to make it a hp500 nor would I sell it saying it was a hp500 but the end result would be similar.
The better compassion is if one was a HP 500 and the other was a HP500EFI.

I am a old carb guy, but just don't see ripping out all the EFI to go to a carb.
If u were building your own motors and the boat was a carb boat I can understand.

Sounds like what u have isn't that bad.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
The better compassion is if one was a HP 500 and the other was a HP500EFI.
This, Would chose the 500efi everytime, and pay more for it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaboy217

The Stock 502 Mag intake even ported is MAYBE good to 525hp. A set of aftermarket heads and a decent hyd roller cam, A dart single plane intake and a 850 holley will walk away from it. I know a guy who had a pair of 502 mags . He upgraded cams, installed brodix heads, intake and carb. When he went to sell it, he installed the stock intake/injection system, which was tuned for the mods. Boat lost more than a few MPH by going back to the stock mag intake/injection. But he also knew that 9 out of 10 people would pick the stock EFI over the carb, even if it made quite a bit less power.

Or do a setup like this from Holley. Maybe then you wont get labeled a ''Hack" ..it really is a nice setup though.
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Its true that cig idles pretty damn nice for a carb. ..now if it had bravos and needed to idle closer to 800 rpm that might be a different story, a story I fortunately wont have to worry about.
i have a bravo drive .i am running a 540dart with 718 hp . i idle at 800 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQj2fy91BU
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Engines didnt stall one time idling around, or hiccup. idle in gear like a dream..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FTRhpGzRwY
Ok,,,,what rpm were the " ideling " at LOL !!!!!

Dan is greatful he doesnt have Bravos right about now !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.