33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips? >

33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips?

Notices

33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Escrowdog
So the CMD6 unit would require a mounting plate as well?

Like to get a couple of speakers up high, near the helm. Is there depth/room in the gunnel to the side of the shifter? Or any location suggestions?
Yes, like was said...all CMDs will need a plate...its very easy to make one and paint it...you can probably buy one as well... No there is no room around the shifters. I installed 6x9s under the dashes and 6.5s in the gunnel right beside the rear grab handles....
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

I have a 99, 33ol and have installed 6.5" JL's on either side of the rear bench & next to the throttle lever and in place of the access port on the passenger side...having the sound up high like that is incredible... be carefull on the rearward holes, it is tricky because of some molding for strength under the intake vents, but they will fit.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
There are some pics of my upgraded stereo in this thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...utlaw-fun.html

Love it! Sounds Loud, Clean, and Clear, even at 80mph! (Turn it off to hear the engines when going FAST!)

8- 6 1/2" Kicker Marine
2- 10" Kicker Marine Subs
1- Kicker Marine ZXM 4 channel Amp
1-Kicker Marine ZXM Mono Amp

I agree on bringing some of the sound higher in the boat. I did not put a speaker by the throttle because it might get in my way running 100mph! But I think it can be done.

I removed the cabin speakers, why drain the batterys faster running speakers that will sound like crap off of the head unit. Or waste money on more amplifiers. Unless you have a head unit with dual volume controls. Its nice to be able to get away from the sound if the phone rings, etc, and not have to stop the party thats out in the cockpit. So no cabin speakers for me.

5 Channel amp is another good option. I personally dont like the sound of the bazooka tubes, but here is another option you might like SKM10 Sub Box | KICKER. I do agree that enclosed subs sound louder and better then free air.

I went with an Kenwood automotive style head unit in the factory location on the passenger dash. No cover. USB, IPOD, etc etc. We just have a short flash drive plugged in the USB with thousands of songs!

I do like the Alpine Marine head unit with the Wireless Waterproof remote!

Dont skimp on your amps and your system will sound great! Enjoy!
More good info. Like I said, I was super happy with my Kicker speakers and MB Quart amps, but do think I may try the Alpine PDX 5 and maybe some Wetsounds or JL speakers. Pics of your boat are a huge help. I have the 4 bolster setup so my current speakers down low under those bolsters. So I think getting some UP and forward might help everyone in the bolsters hear a little better.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah I like the Alpine amps also. If you really want some badazz speakers check out the FOCAL!

Couple more pics

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Yeah I like the Alpine amps also. If you really want some badazz speakers check out the FOCAL!

Couple more pics

Thanks! Ya I like the idea of cutting down there a little more than up high. Headed to the lake this weekend I'll make a template and see what I can come up with for locations.