Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
35 Outlaw trailer loading issue >

35 Outlaw trailer loading issue

Notices

35 Outlaw trailer loading issue

Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are pics of it on trailer and appreciate all the input. I think it will be problem solved next time out. I've never drove a boat on the trailer but I think I can get trailer set like everyone suggest and winch it on. Thanks again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503984[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503985[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503986[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503987[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503988[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-img_20130707_134815_935.jpg   35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-img_20130707_134735_783.jpg   35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-img_20130707_134746_045.jpg  

35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-img_20130707_134828_783.jpg   35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-img_20130707_134805_038.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Those last pictures really helped shed light on the situation.

That's a really nice trailer, however, it would load a LOT better if the center bunks went up to and maybe even past that little decorative keel roller. The long term ideal fix would be to have those bunks extended another 3 feet forward or so.

You will be better off trying the winching approach, but I can completely see why you are having issues. By the time you pull out of the water after getting the boat fully on the trailer (using your old approach), the weight of the boat is going to make it land wherever it's at once you start pulling forward, aligned or not.

I have seen people that put the guide-on posts on their boat with "tension" on the boat to actually touch the rub rail of the boat and force the boat to float centered. It works well, but you can't really put a full cover on the boat that goes over the rub rail; without long term chaffe damage to the cover.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Awash
I have never had this before with a boat but maybe someone here can tell me whats going on the boat is a 2007 Outlaw 35 (stepped hull) and the trailer is a Heritage.
you sure about the stepped hull?? I dont think you have a stepped hull on that outlaw...

try not dipping the trailer as much..
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Those last pictures really helped shed light on the situation.

That's a really nice trailer, however, it would load a LOT better if the center bunks went up to and maybe even past that little decorative keel roller. The long term ideal fix would be to have those bunks extended another 3 feet forward or so.

You will be better off trying the winching approach, but I can completely see why you are having issues. By the time you pull out of the water after getting the boat fully on the trailer (using your old approach), the weight of the boat is going to make it land wherever it's at once you start pulling forward, aligned or not.

I have seen people that put the guide-on posts on their boat with "tension" on the boat to actually touch the rub rail of the boat and force the boat to float centered. It works well, but you can't really put a full cover on the boat that goes over the rub rail; without long term chaffe damage to the cover.
Funny because that's what I call the back roller decorative!!! I was like what the hell did they put that in for? Maybe in case you still had 10 people hanging out in the bow when you loaded it.......

Yep agree on the fix but not sure yet where I would take it to get fixed the way I'd be ok with it, I'm a little...no make that a lot anal and I'd want it to look like it was all original not cobbled together I may start to look around in the area to find someone to do it. As you can see and now that everyone has helped me I can see how floating it all the way to the front roller lets the ass go where it wants and then with the bottom bunks being so close together due to the hull design it will never just set down centered unless by pure chance.

Going to hold off on the guide posts but it's an option I'm going for the winch approach I feel pretty confident I can get it following everyone's input.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
you sure about the stepped hull?? I dont think you have a stepped hull on that outlaw...

try not dipping the trailer as much..
Yea technically not stepped like you would think of with the steps from bow to stern but I didn't know what else to call it as that bottom "step" was not on my Outlaw 33
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen poles on either side of trailers at the stern like training wheels. Boat won't have a chance to swing out of alignment. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Awash
Yea technically not stepped like you would think of with the steps from bow to stern but I didn't know what else to call it as that bottom "step" was not on my Outlaw 33
Are you talking about the Notched transom?? My 25 had a small one, but not my 33.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
Are you talking about the Notched transom?? My 25 had a small one, but not my 33.
Thanks NAILIT maybe that's what its called but I thought notched was a flat in the bottom at the back whatever it is the bastard wasn't loading easy!

Last edited by Awash; 07-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Any master welder could modify that, especially since it's steel. Take it in with the boat on the trailer for measurements, and then drop the boat in the Chain for a few days.

It would take a body shop to finish paint it; and you would want to get the paint code from the trailer manufacturer.

Ask around at the local industrial park who is the best welder in town. You want to find the guy that is busy, not the guy who is bored. The guy who is busy never has to advertise, and is always jammed up with work; because he's damn good. Also, ask around the local stock car racing circles. Keith at Waves and Wheels (or whatever his place is called) is also another place to ask.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Any master welder could modify that, especially since it's steel. Take it in with the boat on the trailer for measurements, and then drop the boat in the Chain for a few days.
Sydwayz you live in the area or boat on the Chain of lakes here?

It would take a body shop to finish paint it; and you would want to get the paint code from the trailer manufacturer.

Ask around at the local industrial park who is the best welder in town. You want to find the guy that is busy, not the guy who is bored. The guy who is busy never has to advertise, and is always jammed up with work; because he's damn good. Also, ask around the local stock car racing circles. Keith at Waves and Wheels (or whatever his place is called) is also another place to ask.
I think wings, wheels and waves is in Decatur way South of me but I'm sure I can find someone for the fabrication work and the body shop part I have my normal guy that does all my work for me, but before I do anything going to try the winch on method and it maybe problem solved with not a dime spent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.