35 Outlaw stock prop rotation >

35 Outlaw stock prop rotation

Notices

35 Outlaw stock prop rotation

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 35 Outlaw stock prop rotation

Still sorting all the little things out on the boat(2007 35 Outlaw) picked it up from having the drives serviced and aligned and my mechanic made a comment he said hey it's sort of interesting but the props turn outward on this Baja he said no big deal it was likely set that way from the factory for a reason on that boat. But as I looked at it I noticed the drive shower (Lathams) inlets were on the wrong side for drives turning outward.

Any of the Baja folks on here know what the 2007 35 Outlaw rotation was from the factory?
What effect does the drive rotation have on this particular hull and boat?

Maybe it doesn't really matter what side the pick up is on.....I'm fairly positive it does but hey I learn new things all the time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504047[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 35 Outlaw stock prop rotation-cgosms_2013-07-0303-20-57.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It probably won't matter. They don't rely on the propeller pushing water up the passage. They are impact driven.
The boat will probably be a tick faster with the wheels turning in, but I'd bet you'll like it with them turning out instead.
I'd run it, get some real numbers on speed & rpm, then calculate the slip. If it is in the low teens, I defiantly wouldn't worry about it. Run it & enjoy it.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Good question about the showers.. I thought they went on the outside and thrust from props pushes water in??

From what I read, every boat is different and most bajas like the bow up which is genrated by props in.. some have had minor gains but not enough to make up for poor dock handling. I have been told our boats (33 &342) like them and will try in when i get my 25p's back. I need my props labbed ( I think anyway if bblades will answer my pm or return my phone call) and need bow lift as over 60, I am getting slip and need some more rpms. Thus I may see some improvement to get the bow upthat I think I need.

Mittens has tried his and negligable gains but he is already running well. IMO if your upper rpms (4k+) are running low <10% slip, you might not see any gains.. possibly 1mph.. but nothing to make up for poor dock handling.. but I haven't read much on 35s, but you have a good looking boat there!!

Last edited by nailit; 07-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

you actually want the drive shower on the upswing of the prop,,reverse of how yours are but if you have no cavitation issues you be fine...

rule of thumb is,,,spin out for straight V bottom hull like yours ,,,,spinning in on step bottom V hulls..
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
you actually want the drive shower on the upswing of the prop,,reverse of how yours are but if you have no cavitation issues you be fine...

rule of thumb is,,,spin out for straight V bottom hull like yours ,,,,spinning in on step bottom V hulls..
Thanks boatnt I thought that's how the showers were suppose to be I didn't put them on so stuck with it as is and thanks for the rule of thumb just trying to make sure everything is how it should have been when stock while I get seat time on this thing. Interesting comment you make about cavitation I have cavitation burns on the lower skeg again mechanic said not a big deal as Merc has changed the lower skeg to try to eliminate it burning the paint off but I am pretty positive I am not getting significant cavitation.

Originally Posted by nailit
Good question about the showers.. I thought they went on the outside and thrust from props pushes water in??

From what I read, every boat is different and most bajas like the bow up which is genrated by props in.. some have had minor gains but not enough to make up for poor dock handling. I have been told our boats (33 &342) like them and will try in when i get my 25p's back. I need my props labbed ( I think anyway if bblades will answer my pm or return my phone call) and need bow lift as over 60, I am getting slip and need some more rpms. Thus I may see some improvement to get the bow upthat I think I need.

Mittens has tried his and negligable gains but he is already running well. IMO if your upper rpms (4k+) are running low <10% slip, you might not see any gains.. possibly 1mph.. but nothing to make up for poor dock handling.. but I haven't read much on 35s, but you have a good looking boat there!!
Thanks for the compliment it was in real good condition I'm just going through it piece by piece till I have it sorted. Just trying to make sure it's not been messed with by the previous owner so I know I'm working from a good baseline I need more seat time.

bblades is usually really good at getting back with folks he returned my call the next day and we discussed what work might be done in the winter.

Just got the blades redone back to a stock condition fixed the big nicks on fixed the cups on both props so far best top speed runs have been 65mph @ 4800 rpm still really wont tach out past 4800rpm no real big deal for now, 31mph at 3000rpm and 52mph at 4000rpm still need to check this in better water conditions and more seat time. I doubt I will rotate them in for now going to leave them as is unless someone knows that wasn't stock.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can just which drives over to the other side ,,,the same thing happened to me on my 35 outlaw after i had the drives serviced,,,when i got the boat back the shower pick-ups where outward,,,they where inboard before the shop serviced them,,,didnt have any problem either way,,,,next time just swap sides
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
you can just which drives over to the other side ,,,the same thing happened to me on my 35 outlaw after i had the drives serviced,,,when i got the boat back the shower pick-ups where outward,,,they where inboard before the shop serviced them,,,didnt have any problem either way,,,,next time just swap sides
Man that sucks that they swapped them on you but on mine the drives are still in the same spot from when I bought it the shop didn't swap the drives on me just appears that whoever put the drive showers on put them in the wrong spot. I don't think it's a real big deal.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
Man that sucks that they swapped them on you but on mine the drives are still in the same spot from when I bought it the shop didn't swap the drives on me just appears that whoever put the drive showers on put them in the wrong spot. I don't think it's a real big deal.