Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol? >

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Notices

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
Have you tried a 1" spacer? How is it in rough water? Lose bight easily?
Actually I tried a .5” spacer first with little improvement & now have a 1” spacer with noticeable improvement. Would eventually like to try a 1.5” spacer as it still slips sometimes with a 5 blade prop. Would also like to hear anyones results with transom notches. With no spacers 3 blade props where useless. Some 4 blades would blow out in rough water going straight & all would still slip while tubing. I haven’t tried any four blade props with the 1” spacer. Ideally I would like to go back to a 4 blade with a notched transom or lower drive.

How much speed did you notice with a 4" raised X? Interesting that you feel it doesn't handle as well as it used to. I feel the X is pretty deep to begin with on these hulls. What year is your boat if you don't mind me asking? I think in some years the X is different then others.

I did this on my 1995 Four Winns & gained 4 mph gps. My drive was originally 8.5” below the keel. Its not a Baja so its not apples to apples but thought it may help anyway.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your input. It almost seems that your boat was setup pretty good from the factory. Have you ever had a prop labbed for your boat to try and see if you could gain some bite back?

I had a labbed 24 that I ran all season and it really worked well never lost bite and planed easy even with the shorty. It slung a blade last weekend so I'm going to finish the season with a stock 24 I have.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I asked about labbing my existing 4 blade props but was told he couldn’t do anything about getting more bite out of my Rev 4 or Hydro QIV. I did try a B1 but it was worse than the Rev 4 so I had a Maximus labbed & modified but it didn’t produce the results I needed. Only after spacing the drive back down did I notice real improvements for water sports. If I was only concerned about speed I would have left the Rev 4 on & probably never would have messed with the drive spacers.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Hey man, thanks for the kind words on the other post about my boat. And there are tons of bars/restaurants off of the patapsco (not really directly in the patapsco but off of the creeks that dump into the patapsco.

Here's a short list

You have rowboat willies in the millers island channel. (Used to have dock of the bay but they closed up shop)
Cheshire crab in bodkin creek. Directly south across the mouth of the patapsco from the millers island cut.
Mikes crab house north in rock creek
Nabbs creek inn (in Stoney creek)
Stoney creek inn also In Stoney creek (used to have good food I've heard they Changed personnel and I haven't been this season)
You have reckless rics in furnace creek (off of Curtis creek) as well as 2-3 other hole in the wall bars/food spots right in a row. Beach bar, dukes and Afew others but they're pretty much dives
You then have pirate mutanty in Marley creek (also off of Curtis creek) which has good food and you can go via boat but it's not waterfront which is kind of weird because you can't see your boat.

Lastly you have bear creek which is on the Dundalk side it is the creek that runs next to the steel mill and 695 cuts over it. Personally my favorite spot which is hard yacht cafe, during the summer there's live music 7 days a week. you'll see Marty bass the local weather man in there (local Baltimore legend if anyone has met him you have a Marty story)
You have seasoned mariner which has some decent food but seems to change names every other season
And lastly the seahorse which has decent food as well don't go there often though.

Sorry for the long winded response. there are definitely options though. Feel free to hit me up any time your down and I'd be happy to show you around, go for a boat ride.
It was to bad I was on call for work this weekend, I would have loved to try one of these places out before the season ended or to join you guys on this fun run! How was it anyway?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a good time, rough goings from our creek to the meeting spot, solid 3s in a quartering sea make for a slow go in a 24 footer. But after that it was just rough enough to be fun and in the late afternoon the run to the last stop was glass. 25-30 boats all together definitely a good turn out.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey stilliberator did you ever find those hatch hinges you were looking for? And how does your boat plane out with the X raised up that much?[/QUOTE]

Yes sure did..ended up making some works perfect now. I have the largest K-planes that eddie marine makes, and it planes off fine. I ran the boat for over a year with no planes at all..and it planed off fine, I am never hard on getting on plane though, I just ease into it very slow..I run a 26 bravo 1 prop..It doesn't slip really at all, I mean I can throw it in a turn pretty damn hard, and get it to blow out..but you just have to know the limits on how hard you can turn...