Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol? >

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Notices

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Just curious what the highest X dimension or the highest prop shaft height anyone has ever ran on a 24 outlaw/240 sport. I know a lot of guys have raised their X 3" and 4" with a standard length b1. Basically I'm trying to decide if there is a real potential to gain any notable speed/handling. (Not 1-2mph but maybe 4-5?)

Right now I have an imco -2 and a hp500 with a warm cam that runs 72-73 all day ( worked 24b1 spinning to 5400 )and I've seen as high as 74.3 with a serious tail wind and 0 fuel. While it's very respectable for what it is you always want more and more. I am gonna try and squeeze alittle more out of the motor this winter and since my transom is dry and solid I had this crazy thought of raising the X about 5" and with the -2 that will put the prop shaft right about parallel with the bottom. Has anyone raised it that high? I can space it down alittle if needed just trying to get some brain storming. I know it'll be a good amount of labor and I have to re cut the exhaust and the whole 9.

Am I wasting my time or would it be noteworthy? It will atleast throw one serious tail with the prop that close to the surface.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7" is almost certainly too much
Old 09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Yea that might be alittle extreme, but I would hate to raise it 3 and wished I went 4. I could ditch the -2 and put a standard length lower on it or use spacers to achieve the perfect setup . I've seen some of the twin engine boats setup with the prop shaft 1-2" above the bottom. Just wanted some opinions and thoughts from people who have raised the X on their boats. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

If you decide on going 4 you can always add a spacer, if it is too much and blowing out all the time.

John jr
Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Registered

As someone that's been there, done that...I wouldn't go through the effort to raise the X when you've already got a -2 lower. You start surfacing Bravo props, you start throwing blades anyhow.

If you want to gain a little more X height, maybe look into an extension box. I think that would give you more gain and be less work than re-doing the transom.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I don't think you'll find bravo boats with std bravo style props 1-2" above the bottom. If you went that high you would end up needing the ssm 6 style props
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Registered

I was figuring on running a surfacing style prop like a herring, I agree that a b1 wouldn't work well at all. And I've slung 2 b1 blades this year already. I was just merely wondering if there would be any notable results. I have considered an extension box, and considered spending a lot of time making sure the bottom is perfect as well. I am aware the hull isn't the model of perfection for blazing speeds and anything over 75 in a 24 foot boat in anything less then perfect conditions the boat gets small quick.

The boat as is surprises a good bit of people in the rough when we are running with them (380s really help extend the running surface) but you're always wondering what could be done to gain alittle more without just throwing more and more power at it.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions/input.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I would've liked to throw real big power in mine but didn't get around to it. Bottom had been blueprinted, -2 lower, 26p bravo 1 55-5600 rpm, 78-79 mph with 3 guys and half tank of fuel. Only boat I ever bought that was faster than the previous owner stated lol. The boat handled awesome, and didn't do anything funny. Being that its more of a rough water good handling hull than a speed demon I'd up the power and leave the rest alone. You can add a lot of power to your motor for the cost of that herring prop.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Registered

Thanks lil red, I agree that it'll never be a speed demon and going real fast but only being able to run that on flat water is kinda pointless in a performance boat. I plan on trying to squeak another 120hp out of it and if it'll run 80-82 on a every day thing id be more then thrilled.

Just out of curiosity how bad was the bottom on your boat? Did you do the blueprinting?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

I would add the extension box and increase the power.. The box will increase your trim leverage thus increase your speed and the power will increase the speed. Win Win in my opinion!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.