Boat Ramp Question >

Boat Ramp Question

Notices

Boat Ramp Question

Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We have a ramp in our area that is steep and gets slick very easily. I have an Excursion 4x4 diesel also. I back down very slowly and very straight, if the ramp is really slick I use a slight amount of emergency brake as Gettinbye has suggested. I have had the front wheels break loose and using the emergency brake stopped the whole scenario. Going slow really made that emergency stop easy and controllable.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife does this often, despite me telling her to go slow. She lets it roll back and then applies the brake to slow down as the 5ton boat trailer begins to drag front wheels.

Go slow and ride brake down and you will not have any issues. If she would listen, controlling speed going down as not just let it go and it's fine.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my shop, I had a customer with a 34'motor cruiser that weighed 15K without the trailer that I built. I was the only one crazy enough to launch his boat. There was gravel to the ramp then cement that was slick if wet. I figured out to back the boat & truck straight to the ramp so it would go down the middle. Once the boat started down the ramp I was committed & it became a controlled slide. After the boat hit the water it stopped every time. I even got to where I could launch the boat or retrieve it by my self. As others have said electric over hydraulic brakes help but this trailer was built out of a mobile home chassis. Never had a problem coming out either, just keep a light throttle & keep the momentum moving & it worked every time. Randy
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, gettinbye described it. Front wheels lock and you start to slide back. Pumping brakes might help, but praying for the fronts to catch. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always set my emergency brake enough to equalize the the front brake.... I've also left it in drive to help also. If these don't work you need to do the electric trailer brake route...
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

U could always get a "wench" LOL on the front of ur truck and connect it to a tree or another truck. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've been on some REALLY steep setups with anywhere from 7000-14000 lbs. behind me. Anytime the front wheels have started to slide; its never been more than 18 inches, if that. The E-brake approach for matching braking bias does work. The worst thing that could happen is a jackknife, which has happened to (with pictures) a couple large rigs (1 OSO member comes to mind); BUT they have all been 2WD. (See a pattern?)

IF the front wheels are dragging, with the most braking bias, chances are that they will enforce a "straight slide" since they are at the highest portion of the ramp; also with the most drag. If your rear wheels on the truck lock up and/or slide; that's a real bad thing.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I use a pretty steep ramp. Basically as soon as the trailer tires start down the hill, I go extremely slow and don't allow the rig to gain any speed. I'm going to try putting it in N next time. The other thing that I do every time, is use a large chock behind the tires. A little off topic but I rarely see anyone use a chock on a boat ramp. I don't want my truck to ever go for a swim!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do you have Electric over Hydraulic brakes on your trailer? If not, install them. This gives you braking in reverse; whereas surge brakes do not.

Second, keep someone in the boat that knows how to drive the boat. You can push a boat/trailer/truck out of the water with the drives in forward and some RPMs; done it many times. It takes timing to get it right and not blow your impellers by running dry, but not that big of a concern. I'd much rather replace a couple impellers than buy a new tow rig.
I second the comment about EOH. If your towing a 30' boat you need them end of story. They make backing down steep ramps a piece of cake.

Dave
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

A few years ago we where picking up friends at the ramp, Lake Shelbyville, lake was flooded so only access to high water ramps. As we where waiting we witnessed a Chevy Astro Van launching a 26-28 ft Mariah Cuddy ( dont recall exact size), As soon as the boat crested the ramp break it was all over. Down comes truck boat and all, Jackknifed off the ramp, jumped the curb, thru the rip rap, and into the timber. First day with the new boat, just purchased it that morning, No injuries, minor damage to the boat and trailer. I was like did that just happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.