Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Boat Ramp Question >

Boat Ramp Question

Notices

Boat Ramp Question

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I had my 21' Monterey and was borrowing a 2wd Expedition, I was backing down a steep ramp with a boat next to me. I am so glad I was dead on when I started backing up because I could have easily slid in to the boat next to me or off the ramp entirely. The boat started dragging me and I couldn't do anything about it. Steering didn't even work. A 21 Monterey isn't even that heavy, but of course a full tank and a Memorial Day size supply of beer doesn't help.

When I backed my 32 Sunsation with my F-150 down a similar ramp I was even more scared...but this time I had a vehicle with 4WD and it worked great. No worries.

But as mentioned...I am planning on getting an EoH conversion. Why worry when there's a simple fix that makes your rig safer? Having four or five axles with brakes is far better than two!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 30' baja with a 2WD chevy dually. Boat and trailer come in around 10,000 lbs. trailer is a eagle tri-axle and has eoh brakes. But is dumped in every weekend to various lakes in my area. No issue pulling it out with only 2wd and have my share of steep launches with weeds and crap. Never had a issue backing in either and sometimes I turn off my eoh backing in. Moving forward after reading these posts....usually my eoh brakes in reverse!