33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement >

33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement

Notices

33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement

Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement

There was a post on here where a guy went step by step to replace the wood in/on his rear hatch. I can't find it anywhere....My screws are stripping out and I want to fix this over the winter. Can you guys find that post? I had no luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

here it is
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-r-r-wood.html
Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, that guy did a great job!!! Oh wait, that was me😎

If you need help, let me know. Easy job!!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
Man, that guy did a great job!!! Oh wait, that was me

If you need help, let me know. Easy job!!
I've done one on a 272 but you did such a good job on that post, Iwanted to read it again. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Could you use pieces of billet aluminum instead of wood for the hatch bolt area?? Just mark and drill the hinge holes and tap them. Then use anti sieze to keep them from corroding??? Or would the fiberglass not adhere to it??
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
Could you use pieces of billet aluminum instead of wood for the hatch bolt area?? Just mark and drill the hinge holes and tap them. Then use anti sieze to keep them from corroding??? Or would the fiberglass not adhere to it??
You could use aluminum, but since your are binding down the hatch, the t nuts are steel, so I would be worried about how you plan to hold the bolts. You would have to thru bolt and then cut any excess thread off the back of the hinge. Since thats the top, you might feel the nuts through the padding when you step on the vinyl. You could recess the bolts into the aluminum depending on thickness??

Fiberglass will pretty much stick to anything, dont be shy about using the fiberglass.

oh, I also did my 25ol hatch, but this was more than I expected. Encapsulated wood and the boxes that hold the head rest.. Wasnt too bad, used the best piece of headrest wood to make templetes for them first.

Last edited by nailit; 09-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered

I meant actually use 1/2" thick or however thick that would was aluminum and just tap the threads into the alum block......Wood will probably be fine .. Doubt I'll keep long enough for it to rot again....
Old 10-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Registered

yep, I used dry marine wood. Glassed the crap out of it where it was rotten. You could use aluminum but overkill, I would worry about stripping the threads, but would probably hold. I figure its a 98, so if I keep it 5-10 years, its still not going to rot!

We love our 33 though. Will probably redo vinyl in another year and change colors completely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545920[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545921[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545922[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement-image.jpg   33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement-image.jpg   33 Outlaw Hatch/sunpad replacement-image.jpg  

Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Registered

I've really enjoyed mine..... First time I've ever left stock power alone! Only issue I've had was a stripped coupler , a fuel pump and impellers.... It's been a work horse for me. I've put more hours on this one in 2 years than I did in 5 on my last boat!