Picture of remote mount Procharger

Notices

Picture of remote mount Procharger

Old 09-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Charter Member # 90
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picture of remote mount Procharger

This is very late but someone was asking for this picture earlier in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails Picture of remote mount  Procharger-mvc-009f.jpg  
Old 09-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice setup!

I assume this was done because of the limited clearance between the engine and back seat, correct? Did you notice any ill-effects of the extended ductwork and additional turns the airflow has to make compared to other comparable setups?
Old 09-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Charter Member # 90
Charter Member

Exactly, there was no room to mount the intercooler. I have not noticed any ill effects, but then again I really don't have anything to compare it too. It did pick me up 14-15 mph and that seems to be the norm, so, I feel like everything is pretty efficient.

-Mark
Old 09-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomcat will have a coronary when he sees all those 90 & 45's
Old 09-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds great Miller! Looks like a clean install, though not ideal, you're improvements speak for themselves. Very Nice!
Old 09-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

aaaargh...my chest...my left arm...

Seriously though, you had a real challenge sqeezing that in there, and you did a good job. You're right, you have nothing to compare your existing setup with, but if you're happy, leave it alone.

However...if you feel the urge to do a little cutting and welding this winter, let's talk. We'll do a little thinking "outside the duct". Those EFI systems are more of a challenge because of where the throttle body is placed, but I see a way to do it with no elbows. We would have to modify your intercooler housing, and make up a special discharge plenum and transition to the throttle body.

Make no mistake, ducts and elbows restrict flow. I just flow tested the Vortech carb box. The bare carb sitting in the box flowed ~1000 CFM @ 28"H2O. Put the lid on the box and add two 90s and one foot of 3.5" duct, the bare minimum needed to connect up with the compressor, and the flow drops to 643 CFM @ 28" H2O. That's before adding the intercooler which also restricts flow. Yes the compressor can overcome this resistance with more boost, and the intercooler can deal with the extra heat to a point, but the less elbows you have, the more air your compressor will flow at a given RPM.

There, I feel better now.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:14 AM
Charter Member # 90
Charter Member

Originally posted by tomcat
aaaargh...my chest...my left arm...

Seriously though, you had a real challenge sqeezing that in there, and you did a good job. You're right, you have nothing to compare your existing setup with, but if you're happy, leave it alone.

However...if you feel the urge to do a little cutting and welding this winter, let's talk. We'll do a little thinking "outside the duct". Those EFI systems are more of a challenge because of where the throttle body is placed, but I see a way to do it with no elbows. We would have to modify your intercooler housing, and make up a special discharge plenum and transition to the throttle body.

Make no mistake, ducts and elbows restrict flow. I just flow tested the Vortech carb box. The bare carb sitting in the box flowed ~1000 CFM @ 28"H2O. Put the lid on the box and add two
90s and one foot of 3.5" duct, the bare minimum needed to connect up with the compressor, and the flow drops to 643 CFM @ 28" H2O. That's before adding the intercooler which also restricts flow. Yes the compressor can overcome this resistance
with more boost, and the intercooler can deal with the extra heat to a point, but the less elbows you have, the more air your compressor will flow at a given RPM.

There, I feel better now.

Tomcat,
Points well taken. That is very interesting information. What gains do think would be recognizable doing the modifications that you speak of?

-Mark