Penny Dropper - 1993 240 Islander >

Penny Dropper - 1993 240 Islander

Notices

Penny Dropper - 1993 240 Islander

Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Penny Dropper - 1993 240 Islander

Greetings all. I've joined the Baja boat family having recently purchased my first boat, a 1993 240 Islander. The boat belonged to a co-workers father-in-law. Somehow the motor took in water and the local marine shop quoted $7,000 to fix. He didn't see the value in spending that much money on the boat, so he sold it to my co-worker for $1,000. The boat is in very good shape for its age. Hour meter read 510hrs when he bought it. The previous owner had new vinyl put in it within the last few years, as well as a new floor and carpet.

The co-worker took the engine out himself and had it rebuilt (7.4l). New bearings, pistons/rings, cam bearings, timing assembly, oil pump, rebuilt heads, and all new ignition, The bores looked great and didn't require any machine work. A marine shop in San Bernadino put a new gimble bearing in, new bellows, and aligned the outdrive. He also put 4 new tires on the trailer. He put about 15 hours on the boat this past summer on Lake Mead after the rebuild (we're in Las Vegas) and the boat ran very well. I got to go out with them one time because he knew I had an interest in the boat and I knew if I could get it for the right price, it would be the perfect boat for me.

He offered the boat to me many times over the summer. First the price started at $9,000. Then he offered it to me in a trade for a Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser I have, which I value around $8000. I didn't really want to part with the Landcruiser so I moved on and didn't think about it any more. November rolls around and I see the boat batteries in the back of his truck. I asked what he was doing and he said he had charged the batteries because he was going to tow the boat to California and sell it to a friend for $5,000. I made an offer on the spot and the boat never left the storage unit

I have a good friend with a house in Havasu and we really enjoy spending time on the lake down there. We're not really into the party scene, but like getting out on the water early and doing some slalom skiing and then finding a cove down the lake or a sandbar up river to spend the day lounging around on with his wife a a few friends. He has a 20' Sea Ray and while it is a nice boat, I think it's a little small for Havasu. I am pretty excited about having a bigger boat that can handle the chop a little better. The big block is also a lot more fun than the small block in his boat

The name is a play on the name of one of the baddest boats we saw at Desert Storm last year - Panty Dropper. It's also a very fitting name for the amount of money I have into the boat compared to many others out on the water. I don't have the name on the boat yet, I still need to find someone to design it and then find a place to print out a decal I can stick on the back.

I got it wet for the first time last weekend in Havasu while my parents were in town visiting some retired friends and we had a blast running up the river and hanging out all day. The boat ran great and I look forward to playing with props and doing some small projects to make it mine. I will be relying heavily on the help of forum members who have many years of boating experience. I've been driving a boat since I was legal at 14, but on a much smaller lake where I grew up in Washington State, and don't have any experience owning a boat. I want to thank you all in advance for your input and advice.

Some pics from last weekend.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Registered

Here are some pictures I took earlier this summer when I first looked at the boat.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Registered

When I had the boat out last weekend, I was able to hit 4600 RPM @ WOT playing with the trim and it hit between 51 & 53 mph on the GPS. Current prop is some 3 blade stainless with no markings at all on it. I noticed there was a very fine line with the trim, if I trimmed up too much it really wanted to porpoise. I think I will be looking for a 4 blade prop to help it get up on plane quicker & at a lower RPM and also lower my comfortable cruising speed because right now it is around 30mph which is quite a bit faster than my buddies boat that I will be out on the water with (20' sea ray). A top speed of 50mph will not bother me (for now), I am not out there to race anyone. Any recommendations on pitch? I have read lots of good things about the Mercury Rev4 prop. Found a really smoking deal on a 21p Rev4, but it may need to be sent in to have a little work done which I am OK with. Are there different hub types or should any Rev4 slide onto my Bravo1 outdrive without issues? Sorry, I am a NEWB!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Registered

Took the current prop off and it is a 3 blade Stiletto 14-1/4" diameter 21 pitch. I have another prop, just a cheap Mercury aluminum 3 blade 14" 23 pitch. Because I think the boat is too slow coming on to plane, the 23p wouldn't help at all correct? Just give me more top end?

Using the mercury marine prop slip calculator, a 21p prop with a 1.5 outdrive ratio at 4600rpm and hitting 53 mph is experiencing 15% slip. From what I've read 7-8% is the target for prop slip?

Anyone think I could go with a 4 blade 21p to to help get out of the hole yet decrease the prop slip? Is that the correct though process? Only way to decrease slip is to have the prop labbed after testing, correct? If I stay at 21p and can decrease the slip to 7-8%, I can still keep a 55mph top speed which I am A-OK with. I'd have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

a 7.4 should had no problem spinning a 21p 4 blade on that boat., It will decrease slip. You have no reason to consider labbing with that boat and your stated goals, it would just be wasted money. Either a bravo1 prop or a rev 4 would work you. If you dont want to spend a ton, look for a used one....
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
a 7.4 should had no problem spinning a 21p 4 blade on that boat., It will decrease slip. You have no reason to consider labbing with that boat and your stated goals, it would just be wasted money. Either a bravo1 prop or a rev 4 would work you. If you dont want to spend a ton, look for a used one....
Awesome, thank you for the info! I will keep an eye out for a good used prop.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by evantwheeler
Awesome, thank you for the info! I will keep an eye out for a good used prop.
keep an eye on the powerboat swap shop group on facebook
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Try a 21" Mirage plus prop and if you want even faster plaining, try a 20" REV4.
You will never get propslip down below 10-12% on your boat. The hull is just not that efficient.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking boat, very clean! I'm sure you will enjoy many outings to the lake in it!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharp boat! Check out badass baja on facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.