Looking at a 232.. >

Looking at a 232..

Notices

Looking at a 232..

Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetskidrewski
Very nice, I like those graphics a lot. Where will you be boating?
Thanks! I'm a huge fan of the rare all-red 232 but I find the purple to be okay. Doesn't exactly match the cobalt blue G5-size fenders I bought (4 of them is probably overkill!) but it'll do.
Western basin Lake Erie. Out of Bolles Harbor, mostly. Might take it up to my old college stomping grounds on the Muskegon River for Hot Boat Weekend but I can't see myself getting into all that mess and still having fun but then again I might want to let loose and toss some beads.

I'm probably going to get a bimini top w/eisenglass added if I can have that for under a grand. Former owner just warrantied the generic trailer cover so I'll have a ratty one and a brand new one but it's a slight pain to put on solo due to the elasticity with it.

It has a digital Lowrance depthfinder that I believe is factory - seems that I need to figure out the proper button presses as the previous owner said he could never figure it out. Apart from that I'm thinking of adding either a mounted VHF or a GPS chartplotter, there's not a ton of room and I hate to drill into fiberglass so who knows.

Last edited by dcbacdab; 06-30-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We boat in Lake St. Clair, there's a really good group we run with check out the Lake St. Clair Run .com We are considering hot boat weekend this year as well.

The Bimini might not be the best at speed, but I've only had experience with them on cruiser type boats. There are day shades that might be a good option as well if you are only looking to get out of the sun.

I think my depth finder is the same, but I've never needed to go through the buttons. It seems to be right on for depths and I know the lake well enough to know when to keep an eye on it. I went with a handheld VHF from west marine and iSailGPS on my iphone, both avoided drilling holes and work really well for me.

Hope to see you out on the lake one day.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Registered

It's only a matter of time until I head past the Detroit River and into the 6th Great Lake. It's spending its first night at the dock tonight because I plan on watching the fireworks off of Sterling State Park tomorrow night.

Just spent two days out on it - I'm satisfied with my purchase. RPM meter kinda freaks out from time to time, happened twice so far and it reads super high but a couple taps to the dash seems to fix it. Stray ground I suppose.

Depth finder also occasionally freaks out and loses its ability. Might be related to the stray ground or something. Didn't feel a transducer when I had it beached - might be a thru-hull?

After consideration I don't think a bimini top is worth it. I definitely want to get a cockpit or mooring cover made and the stock prop looked at as it's slightly been chewed on - maybe an 1/8th of an inch on a fin or so.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

My Tach does a funny dance now and then too. It doesn't always come down to zero, but with a couple taps it goes to normal. I figured something mechanical was sticking and it needed a rebuild. Didn't really consider a ground.

Depth sounder is a thru hull in the engine compartment.

I've run a 22p Apollo 4-blade and really like it, same top speeds as the 21p 3-blade.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Go behind the tach and turn the cyl rotary switch a few times back and forth thru the different settings and then leave back on 8. See if that works.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Registered

Alright. RPM gauge is fixed now. Kind of a trying to pull the dash out until I looked in the cabin at that neat access panel - thank you mold designer(s).

Took it out last night after filling up 38 gallons into it, and it kinda bogged at WOT though there were 2ft rolling waves - my first action is going to replace the fuel filter and put in fuel injector cleaner, thinking about attaching an external 6.5gal tank I have around so I don't have to treat all 74 gallons. I've read that my alternatives are pulling the injectors and inspecting the screens for buildup, checking the plugs, and checking the fuel pressure. It topped out at barely 40 which seems disgraceful but I wasn't throwing down throttle recklessly due to the seas.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Registered

I'd replace both fuel filter and fuel water separator as a start. I had a hesitation issue our first season, turned out to be cap and rotor.