2002 25 Outlaw >

2002 25 Outlaw

Notices

2002 25 Outlaw

Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2002 25 Outlaw

Hello all, looking at joining the Baja club. This will be my first boat. I'm looking at a 2002 25 OL SST w/ 496 Mag (non HO) w/ 150 hours on hull and motor (fresh water boat). I'm waiting on the marine inspection to get done in late February as it is 12 hours from me, and I'd rather get that done than drive all the way there for me to find something wrong. Once that comes through with the all good, I'm meeting the guy at a local lake for him to do a quick run about. My question is: what are common issues w/ this model/year boat? What things specifically should I look for?
Things wrong w/ the boat: Skeg has some damage, says no vibration or any play. Also, hatch on engine hood does not raise/lower w/ power. I've got some money off the sale price for those two issue.

Any information, tips, etc...?
Thanks all, i'm very excited about this I hope it works out. Should get the boat early March if all checks out!
Old 02-10-2020, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 478 Posts

Welcome to OSO! Great choice for a first boat.

Just a few things your surveyor should check, all pretty obvious but I've read about surveyors who don't always deliver.....

Transom and stringers for moisture, especially around exhaust thru hull tail pipes. Engine hatch not operating? I presume they'll get it open manually for inspection. Have the engine scanned to verify the hours. Mercury service dealers plug in a computer scanner, very simple. 150 hours sounds extremely low for an 18 year old boat but not impossible. Engine hour scan will verify 100%. I suggest at least a compression test or better, a full leak down test will tell you something about the engine condition. Usual things like drive unit for play side/side and up/down, gimbal bearing, bellows and general appearance for signs of wear or misuse. Does the seller have many service records, proof of maintenance?

Surveyors are generally very good at picking cosmetic issues because it's easy but sometimes distracts you from the more important structural and mechanical items.

Have documentation and ownership confirmed before handing over lots of money, just common sense stuff. Good to make a check list, it's easy to forget simple things when you're eager and excited about a new boat. I've forgotten plenty over the years!

Good luck, post questions on here, there's a lot of knowledgeable guys on OSO who are all keen to help others.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 02-10-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Great boats, I've had a 98 & 04 before buying our 30 Outlaw. Like mentioned before, check stringers and transom moisture. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Jtime; 02-11-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. How can I verify if the surveyor is reliable? I called all around the area where the boat is and he was the only one who wouldn't charge the S##T out of me. Anyone know anything about this surveyor? Here's his site link: www. talleysurveying .com
He mentioned he will be checking all the stuff you mentioned and it is a 4 hour survey. He says he does not check the motor out, but my plan is if the survey checks out good then I'm going down to meet him on a lake and check out the motor myself w/ a friend.
I also verified the registration is through the owner via Texas Conservation and Wildlife Boat registration. So far it all checks out. I'm somewhat worried about the amount of hours on it myself for being an 02. Kind of a curse and a blessing.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Where is the boat physically located? If it is the Dallas, TX area BUP here on OSO is a VERY through surveyor, also if in Houston area he knows a guy named Brad (Lake Conroe) that is a Chapman trained surveyor with 30+ years in the marine industry, or pm me for Brads contact info
Good luck
Old 02-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the club. I second the statement above BUP is a guy you want in your corner. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask or look thru my thread: Phil'R Up 2001 Baja 25 Outlaw. Also Phil'R Up has a FB page:https://www.facebook.com/IAOUTLAW/?ref=bookmarks
Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

He is unable to do the survey due to non-compete with his employer, he is going to get me a name/number to call this evening of a quality surveyor who can do both a physical and mechanical if you desire.
I will PM you with the info when I get it later this evening.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iaoutlaw
Welcome to the club. I second the statement above BUP is a guy you want in your corner. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask or look thru my thread
Thanks for the heads up. I already follow you on FB love the boat man. That's what i'm shooting for. I'm sure i'll be asking a lot more questions if I end up with the one i'm looking at now. Fingers Crossed.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Registered

That would be extremely helpful for the physical and mechanical, ya send that over when you can!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received the results from the survey. I'd really like some feedback to see if I should continue to pursue.
Flaws noted:
- Companion doorway dragging (adjust tracks and clean) Any other issues with these that would cause this other than lack of main't?
- Moisture inside the interior appointments... not sure what all this entails. Owner said it was stored under a car port. What could cause this? It was covered.
- Snap out carpet, and cockpit cover had animal hair and strong odor. Animal urine was noted (gross, but I believe cleanable)
- Engine cover upholstery had a 4" tear on the stitching.
- Trailer: new tires suggested, front roller damaged, tongue jack wheel is bent. Front roller replacement seems cheap and easy from a quick search.
- 4' keel scuff from front roller on trailer. Assuming a good buff job will do the trick.
- Engine cover lifts inoperable, survey says they were disconnected. Owner mentioned they do not work. What is the common issue with these? How much effort time to fix?
- Prop chipped and bent, skeg damage.
All comments welcome, and thank you.

Last edited by bdavidt; 02-29-2020 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Add info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.