Notices

Warning to those with Instatrim tabs

Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to those with Instatrim tabs

Hi all,

Some of you know latet Baja project swapping my Instatrim tabs for a real set of performance tabs. I bought a set of 24" tabs from a 35' fountain, sandblaseted (ground the Fountain logo off!), painted black. Look brand new. I'm also swapping all my indicators out for mechanicals including the drives. I'm a masochist, what can I say, but they are coming out great.

Anyway, I pulled my starboard trim tabs off and noticed soft wood. Water had leaking into it at the trim cylinder and where the tabs are screwed in. Long story short I too a dremel and cut out a small section from the inside and scooped the mush out.

I using a product from www.rotdoctor.com to fix. Drilling holes to inject the CPES and then using the filler to patch the scopped out areas.

I am very glad I caught this before it could spread and become a real disaster. Once water is in there, it does not come out on it's own.

Just a word of advice, I would periodcally take the screws out and shoot some sealer in there from time to time, epecially older boats. I sure some of you might have this going on right now. The new tab plates I gooped the hell out of with marine sealant as well as all the bolt holes.

B.O.A.T. - Bust Out Another Thousand.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

please post a pic of the mechanical trim gauges. I do not like the led trim indicator on our 25, you can't see them when its sunny.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

You can't use the mechanical inicators with the Instatrims, unless you rig something yourself. I removed all that stuff.