Notices

Tabs on 25 outlaw

Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tabs on 25 outlaw

I have a 2001 25 outlaw that came with a 496.I have always had to run the left tab 3/4 of the way down to run level regardless of load.I have now put a blown 540 in it with standoff and 2 inch shorty and it still does it.Anyone know if I mount new tabs different if it would help or any other solutions?Also size/brand?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tabs on 25 outlaw

Mine always did the same thing and blaming the wife for too much weight on the port side is not recommended

I always blamed it on prop torque and or the torque of the motor causing the listing. I had a freshwater tank for a transom shower that I mounded on the stbd side and I usually placed the cooler behind the drivers seat to make up for the need to run tab.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slobaja
I have always had to run the left tab 3/4 of the way down to run level regardless of load.
That is a LOT ( 3/4 way Down). Not sure I have ever ran my tabs down that much.

I have found that true deep vee's require tabs a little more than many stepped boats that tend to run flater.

I have my indicators marked so I know when the tabs are level with the hull. I think it is about 1/8 to 1/4 down.

If we are loaded wrong, or there is a wind I use the tabs to level the boat, but usually when they reach that point where they are even with the hull it is all I need.

I can see where a blown 540 could give you a little torque steer, but I would guess you may have another issue with your hull.

There was a guy on here some time back with a 302 I believe that had to send it back to the factory for work. Was also leaning real bad.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last thing, I use to have a 272 and have had four buddies with 25's and have never seen that problem, at least no that bad. More like I described above.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered

I've got an 04' 25 Outlaw and don't notice a problem running level. I rarely have to use any tab and only when it's rough out.

Other than the leaning problem how does that 25 run with a 540? I've got to remember now to race you if I see you out on the local water
Old 03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Slobaja,how do you like the 2" shorty,i am also running a blown 540 in my 2000 272 baja and i have considered using a shorter lower unit as i run 4 blade props and boat only goes fast in max trim position with about 20 % slip(i run 85 mph on gps w/max trim at 5600 w/30 pitch lab 4 blade). Thanks for your input,Smitty
Old 04-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Registered

blueprint the hull,i had a friend that had the same problem on a 25 after they blueprinted the hull that fixed it,they also had big power.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GatorDave
I've got an 04' 25 Outlaw and don't notice a problem running level. I rarely have to use any tab and only when it's rough out.

Other than the leaning problem how does that 25 run with a 540? I've got to remember now to race you if I see you out on the local water
It runs a lot better than the 496- so far only ran up to 5000 which was 83 on gps and had plenty left although I might need to get better tabs and or bpint hull to string it out
Old 04-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 25 Outlaw with 502 and a Whipple and never had any problems with the boat running unlevel.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Smile Re: Tabs on 25 outlaw

Thanks everyone for the advice. I finally bypassed the Dealer in Jacksonville that has blown me off in the past and contacted Baja.They sound like they are sincere.It will be worth the 2.5 hour drive to orlando to have a dealer that is WILLING look at it. The Jax. dealer was so rude about my rotten back seat that I thought I was going to have to switch to Velocity (who has been extremely nice to me because they actually want my business). I guess you just have to find the right dealer !

Quick Reply: Tabs on 25 outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.