Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Banana Boat
The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!! >

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!

Notices

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Congrats on your new venture Charlie.

A couple of questions:
1. How many boats a year has banana been producing?
2. How many boats per year in the future would you like to produce?

thanks in advance,
Craig
Question #1 Not enough

Question #2 No more than 4 of the 43 and 49 footers......2 of each size would be fine.

Don't forget a 1350 HP package is around $220,000 retail each....still need a prop, steering, etc etc. Not many customers in that range.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Will the 24' be available under the new brand name?
Only as a center console style, sport decks are no more for any of the small sizes.

The other name for the fish style boats will be:

GLOUCESTER FISHERMAN

That pays tribute to Gloucester, Mass where the banana boats raced many times in the old offshore races at Cape Ann.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is banana straying from the smaller performance boats when in today's economy others like o.l. are making smaller molds to fit the 'average mans' price range. I understand the c.c to broaden sales, but just can't swallow the demise of the 24 sport just to make bigger sports.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Why is banana straying from the smaller performance boats when in today's economy others like o.l. are making smaller molds to fit the 'average mans' price range. I understand the c.c to broaden sales, but just can't swallow the demise of the 24 sport just to make bigger sports.
The "average man" can't get the financing to buy these sport boats anymore.

As far as Ol coming out with the smaller boat, I would make a wild guess, that for the retail price they will be looking for, you could find a nice clean 38 Top Gun and trailer for the same money.

The only new boat owners that will be buying in the next couple of years will be the guys who pay cash for their toys...those guys don't want 24 foot boats....unless they are tenders to their Feadships.

If Brunswick is developing bigger and bigger engines and drives and if MTI has sold 14 new cats with the 1350's in them, what does that tell you about the future of the market? Bigger or smaller?

I love the 24, but we can't go on emotion, we can only go with what is really selling now and in the foreseeable future.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of saying you are never popping another 24' hull, why not just build all of your boats to order.. if someone really wants a 24' for their feadship like you stated then they will be willing to pay the cost of pulling the molds out and making it worth your time.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
The "average man" can't get the financing to buy these sport boats anymore.

As far as Ol coming out with the smaller boat, I would make a wild guess, that for the retail price they will be looking for, you could find a nice clean 38 Top Gun and trailer for the same money.

The only new boat owners that will be buying in the next couple of years will be the guys who pay cash for their toys...those guys don't want 24 foot boats....unless they are tenders to their Feadships.

If Brunswick is developing bigger and bigger engines and drives and if MTI has sold 14 new cats with the 1350's in them, what does that tell you about the future of the market? Bigger or smaller?

I love the 24, but we can't go on emotion, we can only go with what is
really selling now and in the foreseeable future.
Fair enough. I'm sure you've weighed the +&- of your new venture and everything your saying definitely has traction. Regardless can't wait to see the new fleet! Maybe rig the first 24 Gloucester fisherman with big power so it can represent its racing pedigree! !!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Registered

After reading this I had to think a bit about for a bit before I wright back.
Some thoughts from me...

First a big congrats/good luck to you all!
Exiting to start a new boat building company and brand.
As this is to be a part of futures performance boating plus my experience of a Banana 24 I have big expectations to see a great new boat. Im sure you will make it!

I too like the many details of the designs of the brands you mention. Perhaps not the graphics on all of them ha ha. Im more old school... Perhaps thats why I love the Banana 24, Apache, Cig Top Gun flatdeck och Scarab flat deck.

I think you go the right way about making it a sit down, high power performance boat.
Wow, 140 mphs! Build them strong, safe, sleek design and with a touch of racing and Im a new fan of your brand!
Do you have a potential customer that will be a part of the development of this boats?

Sad to see the Banana name stop here. Now your 2008 should be a gonner real soon as no more boats are produced.

I was thinking/draming my self about updating the Banana molds with steps etc to get them more modern with todays standards/expectations. You cant stop a man from dreaming of getting in to the boating business. ha ha

Clever though, not to bring in both the name and moulds in to this new business. Only thinking of past history and not your new partner. Speaking about partners. Whats his/her?, your and jr role in this new company?

How will you handle marketing as this is going to be very expensive? Putting a new boat and brand on the market is going to take some serious money.

I have over 200 000 klicks on my thread in this forum.
I dont know but I choose to think that many people are interested in my calssic Banana Boat 24 and what I do with it.

Perhaps one way of marketing for you guys could be to start a serious thread on a boating forum about /with the progress of planning, drawing, building, rigging etc etc this first boat?
Show whats rejected, show whats choosen regarding materials, explain why this or that design of the hull etc.
I know I would follow it!

Again, GOOD LUCK and "speak" to you soon.
I have more thought on this one.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Charlie, I have to agree with Pasta... the 24 is a great boat. it is sad to see that it is done .. I had the privilege of owning one of the last Banana built and had the opprotunity to meet you and be able to work with a true professional. I was spoiled as I purchased a new boat this year but after dealing wtih you a true professional and world champion.. .I was met with less than honest people... you were always straight forward, stood behind your product and never ever lied to me.. if fact went over and above anything I could hope to expect from a company. I grew up in RI and as I told you many times I never could afford a Banana which was the best thing in the world to us in the 70's and 80's . the day I was able to meet you and you took a ride in my 1990 Banana,,.,, you persuaded me to purchase a new one.. the 2008 was a great boat.. loved it...you were wtih me all the way from the build to the delievry.... you never felt too big to lend a hand.. last year you took my boat out I do not know how many times to test new props..and to make sure it was running right.. You were always inviting me to events and it was a pleasure to bring that boat anywhere... I recently bought a new sonic.. paid for in October 2010.. never have seen it and will probably not be able to drive it around long island this year... it is amazng how other companies look at a buyer as a piece of garbage. In fact the owner of Sonic will not even take my calls any more... shame on me for buying a boat and paying for it if full. but I thought they were like you. other companys could learn a lot from you and your son... I say it again.. .If I did not know you I would think nothing of how I have been treated by Sonic.. but Knowing you I know exactly how I have been treated. Billy Freeze todl me the other day.. many people think they can be boat builders... only a few can.. you certainly can you race them and make them. others just buy and sell them. What a difference. I wish you well in your future and know you will do just fine.. but if I need help which you know I will... I will be calling.. .thanks so much..

Last edited by sp123; 07-26-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

BANANA's rock ....if anyone finds one laying around somewhere I highly suggest you grab it..
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

I have to admit that the luxury crowd is far less affected by the current economy's' insecurity. I love the 40' class. They seem more sexy to me. The long lines attracted me to the Coyote that I'm resurrecting.

I cant wait to see the love you guys put out. I'd love to fly out to celebrate the first hull of the new era!

-Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.