Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Banana Boat
How Many Banana's were made? >

How Many Banana's were made?

Notices

How Many Banana's were made?

Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How Many Banana's were made?

Fruitta 55

The whole idea of a simple boat comes from my many years as a Porsche owner. They are desinged to go fast and be safe....that's it!

The boat should be the same way. The single engine IO was designed so that, if you broke down 50 miles south of Block Island at 3AM, you could get in there and work on the engine with lights and no fear of being swamped or losing any tools.

I had a 38 foot Magnum that I used as a pleasure boat for many years that was desinged the same way, simple simple and simple. Nothing extra that wasn't needed.

Appreciate your time with your children, before you know it they will be grown and gone.

Good luck with your redo of the boat if there is anything we can do to help please feel free to ask.

Charlie Sr.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

Boomer
I'm sorry I don't know much about the number or types of boats built out of Port Edgewood. But, yes the boats you saw from them were out of the same mold. They are the people that bought the small mold and changed the mane to banana boat LTD, from my name of banana boat CO.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was one of the last ones that i know of. that was 1991. at that ime the number was around 70+. i should check the HIN on mine... it might help. i could stop in and see ray and ask him if i get over there. fyi
Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up my old boat at Port Edgewood around 1996. I'll always remember the slew of Bananas and Sutphens that I saw there. That was the first time I actually drove a boat over 70 MPH, and the smell of fibreglass resin was strong in the air. All the Bananas I saw were OB boats, with cracking transom issues. I wish I had seen some IO boats.
No matter. One could tell that, even with new owners, Banana had something legendary going for it. Having opted for a different 24 then selling it to go bigger, I would still love to run around in a Banana 24. If anyone is in the mid-CT area next year and wants to have a Sutphen guided tour of the coast, drop me a line. I'd really enjoy seeing you guys in action.
Thanks
Chris.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitta55
Biggus,
I think I ran into you up in Wolfeboro this summer. Either that or it was the next owner of Hell's Banana. I believe that it is now owned by Andrew of Andrews Marine Service in (Minge Cove)Alton. Thats where we have a slip at. But our boat stays out at the island as the slip is only for an 18' max. Would love to see some pics of it when you owned it! I think I have a couple of it how it sits now on my digital cam. I'll check and post them if I can.

Adam

Nope, not me. I never made it to Winni this year.

I sold it to a guy named Andrew, he must still own it. If you could, tell him to PM me.

I'd love to see some pics!

Thanks!

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 10-09-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: How Many Banana's were made?

My brother went down to port edgewood this year and said they still have the molds out back in shrinkwrap, and the last hull made is still in the mold just waiting to be popped out. I would like to get my hands on that.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A friend of mine has a 24 that was never rigged. It's a complete hull/deck and full interior. No guages and transom has not been cut. It's been sitting on the trailer behind his shop since 1988.

He is interested in moving it. What would it be worth?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

Biggus
Start first witht the serial number of the boat.

Look at the top of the right rear corner of the transom. There should be a number cut in there that starts with three letters. The numbers after the letters would then designate the number of this boat in the production sequence and the date it was made.

Second when you say the transom was never cut, that could mean it was laid up as a sterndrive boat. Look inside and see how the stringers are set up.....were they made for a single or twin engine sterndrive.

To make a sterndrive boat into an outboard boat even with a bracket would require different stringers.

Full interior....could also mean the bottom of the cockpit wasn't cut out as we used to do to race boats for weight.

When you have that info and better than that, a photo you could post, the value could be determined.

Thx

Charlie Sr.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Problem Biggus, I'll be seeing Andrew on Monday. Now I'm confused, did anyone else other than Banana Boat ltd., you and Andrew, own Hells Banana that anyone knows of? I mean this guy I talked to seemed to kow an awful lot about it and said he used to own it, either that or he just knew alot about it and claimed he had owned it.? Does anyone have any pics of what it used to look like? It's just plain white like mine now. And unfartunatley it looks as though it has seen some mory glorious days. Oh well, At least its still around right.

Adam
Old 10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it still say Hells Banana on it? And do the motors have blowers on them?

Quick Reply: How Many Banana's were made?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.